I need some advice, motor on Intex inflatable raft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrawn5499

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I am looking for some advice. I have an intex excursion 5 inflatable raft. I just purchased a Newport 55lb thrust trolling motor for it, along with a group 27 marine battery. I have had the raft for 10 years but never use it because up until this weekend if we ever wanted to use it on a river it meant driving 2 cars. And leaving one at camp site and other at drop off location. Since we never want to drive 2 cars we always just rent a raft, or canoe. I don't like renting a raft when I have one, but I didn't have any better ideas. This weekend, I thought hey, why not buy a trolling motor and use it to get back up stream. This sort of worked, but not as good as I was hoping. Luckily I did not leave my car miles up stream and float down then try to get back upstream. We were on meramec river in Missouri. We were able to go a ways up stream but we hit a point 1/2 mile up were the current was just too strong. The little motor just did not have the power to push through the current. In places where the current was either not detectable, or just mild we moved really good, but in is place you could barely stand up. The river was moving 5 mph or more. I was really hoping this setup would work. while we had a good time, we were not able to go up stream as we hoped. I really did not want to change to a different trolling motor and battery set up if not needed. I might not have a choice though, If I want to be confident in getting up stream. I also don't want to buy something different without getting some advice on what would work. I picked the 55lb Newport after reading a lot online and people saying it would do what I needed. I thought about trying a 24v 86lb motor, but might have to eat the cost of mine, and fitting another big battery in the raft will be hard. I Am on a limited budget, and need to be able to pack it away and bring it with our popup camper and SUV. Any advice? Is there something I can do to this motor? Different prop? Or would I be better off buying a gas motor? I don't know much about this stuff, but I can read and learn. Thanks

Personally, I would rather have even a small 2hp gas motor and fuel I can see in a tank than any size trolling motor. The only time I would entertain a trolling motor is on a small lake or a pond.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree, the weight of a decent Marine Battery as well as the Electric Trolling Motor is more than a 2 HP or so Outboard. I would look for a 2 stroke in that range or if you can afford it, a 2.6 Suzuki. That motor is 29 pounds, the next nearest to that weight is a Yamaha at about 37. The Tohatsu is over 40. Some like the Honda, but it is air cooled.

Thrawn5499

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the advice. Would I be better with a 2hp motor or something like a 3, or 3.5 hp motor? Also I found a 2 cylinder 3hp Evinrude motor on Craigslist. it is about 30 lbs and is a 2 stroke. it is a 1989 I think. Is that one a decent motor? thanks

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A second hand 2 hp Johnson/Evinrude weighs 24 pounds, I have a 1978 Johnson. It will troll for 3 or more hours on a tank of gas (1 liter, close to a US Quart). The Suzuki 4 stroke that I mentioned will get about 3 times that efficiency.

If you want to go to a bigger engine than the 2.6 , the Tohatsu 3.5 is the 4 stroke one that will be suitable, but just. The motor mount for the Mariner 4 is rated for 3 1/2 HP and a weight of 40 pounds. This Tohatsu weighs 43, but it is the same weight for the Tohatsu 2.6. A 2 stroke Yamaha 3 HP is about 35 pounds (maybe less), if you can find one. You could possibly find a 2 stroke Johnson 3 HP for about that weight, but it will be older than the Yamaha. Those who have these 3 HP 2 strokes generally hold on to them and they are hard to find.

So the Tohatsu is the same engine for the 2.6 and the 3.5, with some changes to the 3.5 that gives more power. For the extra money, the 3.5 is probably better. The Suzuki 2.6 will be lighter than the Tohatsu. Nissan 2.6, Mercury 2.6 are also made by Tohatsu. This paragraph applies to currant new motors, or recent second hand 4 strokes in these models.

Thrawn5499

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thanks for the info. when I buy one, if I buy one, I will probably have to go the used route. Wife won't want me to spend much on this. Looks like the motor I was looking at on CL sold. it was $100. it was the same as this one for reference. https://www.smalloutboards.com/j393.htm

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is near the end of the production of OMC 2 strokes and is probably a good engine. The 2 HP Johnson/Evinrude is probably the most common second hand unit available for what you are looking for. If that 3 HP sold for $100, it was a real bargain.

Thrawn5499

Seaman Apprentice
Only reason I did not go ahead and try to get it is, it was about 250 miles away. I did not have time to make the drive for a week or more. if it was local, I would have gotten it to try it out. I found another like it local now, but it is $500. Oh well not like I have to get one anytime soon. I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal. thanks again for the help.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
In 2010 I bought a 1972 Johnson 6hp and used it for three years. I paid $300 for it,didn't have to do any repairs and it ran great starting first pull every time. That was a 38 year old motor when I bought it and a 41 year old motor when I sold it yet it still had a lot of good years left in it. Good used motors that are inexpensive are out there so yes keep on looking.

IMG_20111119_101609 (2).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.