new to me merc quicksilver. pvc or hyplaon ? Repairable ?

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone.
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]I have a old quicksilver mercury boat that I am pretty sure is PVC, but the material is black inside so leaves me wondering. It has a big gash in the bottom tube, i know you can fix these from the inside with a patch and then at patch on the outside. Can anyone give me some tips about this repair ?[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It also has a piece that holds the tube to the transom coming apart but that looks easy i guess. Thanks[/FONT]

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Any inflatable is 100% repairable, seen worse problems than pics shows. Down issue, once repaired, long patches won't be eye catching LOL!!

As long fabric is not dried, cracked, blisted it's repairable. If wanting a pro repair will need to be repaired by a skilled boat tecnician, but that could be costly...

Happy Boating

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
do you think that is a hypalon boat or PVC ? the inside is black and the guides online say that means hyplaon. But from the inside the seams have some cover or something and i imagine that means welded

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Hard to tell, black in the inside doesn't mean that necessarily has to be hypalon made, there are white hypalon fabrics on the inside too. If outer fabric is mini square or dotted at sight it's PVC, if very smooth to finger tip it's hypalon. Those are glued seams for sure.

Merc newer inflatables are offered in PVC and Hypalon fabrics.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Looks like it is one of the old Mercury Hypalon inflatables made by Zeppelin in Canada back min the mid 90's. It's really not worth repairing other than as a keep busy project.