Is it worth the extra cost?

awmaster10

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to decide between a 14ft kaboat and a 9.8 regular width inflatable with air deck floor for my next boat. I will be using it on shallow rivers and electric only lakes, and want it to be easy to carry in my car. The 9.8ft is about $260 more than the kaboat, so I am basically just asking if you guys think the extra room width wise would be worth the extra money which could be spent on a dual battery setup and trolling motor. Here are the models im looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/INFLATABLE-K...rd_wg=ZAWYR&psc=1&refRID=PT0HVXN9AFVH41DCYHTF

https://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-B...qid=1493960425&sr=1-9&keywords=air+floor+bris

Any input appreciated, thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Tough decision as there's an astonishing inequality between the two, like bananas and pears.

The pontoon is very large and very narrow seems doesn't have an inflatable keel, the other one is too small in lenght but much wider, has an inflatable keel. It's more seaworthy if like running at speed. For me the extra room/width is a must have. It's all up to how many boaters do you want to trasport frequently.

Anyway, deslike both models, are not my type.

Happy Boating

awmaster10

Seaman Apprentice
Welcome to Iboats,

Tough decision as there's an astonishing inequality between the two, like bananas and pears.

The pontoon is very large and very narrow seems doesn't have an inflatable keel, the other one is too small in lenght but much wider, has an inflatable keel. It's more seaworthy if like running at speed. For me the extra room/width is a must have. It's all up to how many boaters do you want to trasport frequently.

Anyway, deslike both models, are not my type.

Happy Boating

In terms of being seaworthy, that is not a problem as the largest bodies ill be going out on are 1200 acre lakes and things of the sort. Majority of its use will be on the Brandywine creek in southeast PA which is extremely shallow at most points, often consistently under a foot. This makes me believe the narrow (first) boat will handle well under human power in these conditions, but also remain adequate on open lake with a trolling motor.

What about the traditional SIB (second link) did you not like? Just the short length? I wish I could find something affordable with about an extra foot of length with an air floor still.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, size matters to me.

Mercury Marine has a nice 3.40 Mtr air deck Sib.
Saturn has nice 3.35 & 3.65 Mtr air decks.

All 3 has nothing to do with a Mariner 4, are recreational Sibs and cost as much as twice. Having built transom can mount an electric or a gas motor. If you enjoy boating, invest wise from the start.

Happy Boating

josh_booth

Seaman
Take a rope and lay it out in the shape and approximate size of each boat, then try to arrange whatever gear and number of people you will normally have. From experience in my old 12 foot v-bottom two people fishing wasn't bad, 3 was doable, barely.

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class
No inflatable keel will probably result in less draft. I agree that the narrower width will likely handle better under human power. It will also allow you to squeeze through narrower slots of deeper water in the river.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Hull drag should be slight less on first option, provided that both are top air inflated, As both rely sitting on side tubes will add up increasing hull drag while at human power. Powered with a electric, gas or gasoline engine it's other story. Inflatables are not hard hull canoes, which are easier and a breeze to row, advances faster with just one paddle stroke compared to any inflatable dinghy, Will have my boubts if a long inflatable no matter if narrow will squeeze through narrow slots compared to a shorter one in lenght.

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I would spend the extra money for the tender. I think it would do what you want it to do much better than the other boat. My first boat was an 8ft tender and me and a buddy would go up and down our slow moving river all day with just an old 60's era Sears trolling motor. Not much room to move around but you could even with all our gear for a day of fishing and bear drinking. That Sears motor was given to me by my grand father and was under powered but it got us around. A couple of years later,about 2010 I invested $300 in a 1972 Johnson 6 hp. That was one great little motor in spite of being so old so if you should get the tender and want an inexpensive little motor that would be one I would recommend. Happy boating which ever boat you get.