completed a good deal of research yet still confused on boat choice

rhyme

Recruit
Hi all, I am a new member that has been lurking and reading the forums for years. I have been romancing the idea of some kind of boat and have decided my best option is the best quality largest inflatable with an aluminum base that I can get for under 1500, not including motor.

I have narrowed it down to:

Saturn/SD 470 most expensive of the 3 around 1600
OVERALL LENGTH: 15'
INSIDE LENGTH: 10.6'
OVERALL WIDTH: 6.6'
INSIDE WIDTH: 3.3'
TUBE DIAMETER: 20"
CHAMBERS: 3+1

PERSON CAPACITY: 8
LOADING CAPACITY: 2000 lbs
MAX MOTOR POWER: 40 HP (15" shaft / 175 lbs)
TUBE SHIPPING SIZE: 59 x 29 x 14"
TUBE WEIGHT: 145 lbs
TUBE SHIPPING WEIGHT: 150 lbs
FLOOR TYPE: Anodized Aluminum
FLOOR SHIPPING SIZE: 48 x 28 x 6"
MATERIAL: 1100 Denier Reinforced PVC

Saturn/SD 460 much cheaper around 1000
OVERALL LENGTH: 15'
INSIDE LENGTH: 10.7'
OVERALL WIDTH: 5.6"
INSIDE WIDTH: 2.7'
TUBE DIAMETER: 18"
CHAMBERS: 3+1+1

PERSON CAPACITY: 8
LOADING CAPACITY: 2000 lbs
MAX MOTOR POWER: 30 HP (15" shaft / 140 lbs)s
TUBE WEIGHT: 120 lbs

FLOOR WEIGHT: 60 lbs
SHIPPING SIZE: 52 x 28 x 13"
SHIPPING WEIGHT: 150 lbs
FLOOR TYPE: Sectional aluminum floor
MATERIAL: 1100 Denier Reinforced PVC

Zodiac/Bombard Typhoon 470 ALU middle priced 1300
Length 15'5"
Beam 6?3??
Long Shaft Transom
Maximum HP 40Hp 158lbs
Length overall 4.7 ? 15?5?
Inside length 3.35 ? 10?12?
Width overall 1.9 ? 6?3?
Inside width 0.92 ? 3?0?
Tube diametre 0.49 ? 1?7?
Max payload allowed (Kg ? Lbs) 900 ? 1984
Total weight (kg ? Lbs) 110 ? 243

Number of waterproof compartments 5 + 1
aluminum engine support plate

I have seen lots of recommendations pushing folks away from entry level boats like the intex mariner and to boats like the ones I have listed. In my extensive research, these three seem to be the best available to me within the price/size range that I find minimally acceptable.

Can anyone offer advice or perspective on major differences in quality/longevity or the usability of these three?

I could not find any information on the material used for the Zodiac/Bombard.

Are there other brands in this range that I missed? I have bolded the main differences that I found, in the hopes it may help others looking for the same type of information.

Are there trusted US based online recommended vendors who ensure warranty support?

I understand that Zodiac used to have 5 year warranty but since the purchase of Bombard I was not sure how warranty support would/might apply to this line.

I think Saturn offers 2 years but I was not sure how that worked either.

I am planning on using the boat mainly on fresh water lakes close to me. The closest lake and therefore the one I will use most has an average depth of 32' and is over 13000 acres. Max load will end up around 850lbs.

Thanks very much for any advice, support and perspective you can provide. I hope this will help others who may be in the same situation.

Best to all!

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Why do you need going for such large inflatable carriers ? Which HP will be powering it, 2 or 4 strokes OB's ? Plan inflating/deflating after use, plan going for a trailer ? How many boaters will be having fun with ?

Happy Boating

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You have a couple of issues going on.
For starters you really want welded seams
A 460/470 series boat is very large
You will have to keep a boat that sized trailered
In addition you are really looking at spending more than $2000
Zodiac warranty is for 5 years for the welded seamed boats

Glued boats require more maintenance than welded seamed boats
They typically don't last as long and are not made as well

It may well be to your advantage to Goto a dealer if there are any in your area

rhyme

Recruit
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps I don't need such a large size boat but there will most likely be 3 most often but could be up to 5 when we go out. I have a full sized pickup so was planning on hauling it inflated. I was under the impression to get as big as possible rather than start small. What size would be better?

In terms of OB power I was looking at a 4 stroke OB powered around 25HP plus.

I have been having a really hard time finding a local dealer of a decent inflatable, I have not found any in the Durham area of North Carolina.

Thanks for the help!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If plan boating with 3 up and a 25 HP, a 380 is the way to go.
If plan boating with 5 up and a 30 HP, a 420 Sib will be more than enough.

If plan going for a trailer, a Rib would be more convenient, more speed & fun to go boating with. Check Mercury inflatables same sizes, are extremely light.

The duration of the glued Sibs will depend entirely on the quality of the glue used, factory temp when assembled and follow the recommended factory pressure when in use which is key to longevity. Way more inflatable manufacturers use glue than welded seams.

Happy Boating

rhyme

Recruit
Thanks again. So perhaps 380 size is the right one for us. At first glance it seems Mercury is a good bit higher price from where I want to be.

In terms of the glued Sibs is there any general consensus on the preference of the smaller version Saturns or the Bombard mentioned? I assume the three I mention are all glued.

Based on the research it seems most including many I did not mention are now made in china spanning various brands.

Is there any consensus on best bang for the buck in the 1000-1500 price point for a 380 size where the durability question is no longer an issue?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Saturn has a nice 13 footer, seems it's an air deck, if don't like air decks, when ordering ask for a alum floor exchange.

Merc Marine has a nice PVC Heavy Duty 380. Both brands should stand well for their individual warranties.

Personally would stay away from Typoon Sibs, are rough cheapo Sibs.

Happy Boating

blackmax115

Recruit
I bought the Saturn SD365 with the air floor 2 years ago and it has performed flawlessly I had a zodiac Inflatable for over 20 years and it started to fall apart so the saturn was the replacement. In this instance the motor outlasted the boat!! I have a 1984 Mercury 25XD that pushes the Saturn with 2 adults at 26mph. I can leave the boat alone in the garage inflated for a week and not lose pressure.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If boater values having the most available bow space on a pointy nose Sib, better go for next size Sib. A Saturn 365 to a 380 Mtr.

Happy Boating

I too am doing research, and got lots of help from experienced folks. I still have not finalized a choice. I did look at Duras brand, sold by Tohatsu dealers. They are all welded. Made in China from Korean fabric. The biggest is 13'-8" x 6'-2, comes in long shaft transom. I had excellent correspondence with their head office. I currently own a 9.9 Merc short shaft, and have realized that the size I want, 12', only takes the long shaft motor. I originally was thinking of a 10', but some of the folks who have contacted you have convinced me that a longer boat is much better. Be sure to check out warranty. Lots of luck.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Know the brand as currently work with Tohatsu OB's but not with their inflatables as our tech specs are bit different. Strange that 12-13 footer Sibs comes with a long shaft transoms, as both are recreational models. Probably a unwanted bad office information. Their web page doesn't state transom lengths on any of their models, but after seeing pics surely all are for short shaft OB's. Should stand well for their warranty.

Happy Boating

Just contacted local dealer re Duras. The two larger Duras boats indeed do have the 20" transom. The reason is that for the larger motors allowed on these boats there was problems with wash over the transom with a fast power-off stop. Am waiting for a call-back from Duras to confirm. If Rhyme has not bought a motor yet, this could be another good reason to get a Duras

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
As don't like theory about Duras employing long shaft transoms on larger 380-420 Mtr Sibs to avoid wash over transom issues, decided going for full water practice. Will post water results in "Wash Over reality or Myth" as not to intrude into OP's original post with a different matter.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What is it that you deslike about the brands that have looked so far, is it a budget issue, best bang for the buck ?

Happy Boating