Question about the sailing of Seahawk 3 with trolling motor against the waves

mplaksant

Recruit
Hello guys and greetins from Greece. I am new in your beautiful forum and I'd like some information about a circumstance. I have an Intex Seahawk 3 with a 36 lbs electric trolling motor and a deep cycle 90Ah battery. I use it for fishing in the waters near the coast and for small trips in my area - as you know Greece has got 16.300 km of coastline, so almost every place here has got access to the sea. However I have noticed something strange. When I go AGAINST the flow of the water/waves in the sea, my inflatable goes great in the 5th gear of the trolling motor. But, when I decide for example to turn back and sail back to the coast and go WITH the flow, then paradoxically it hardly moves! My boat finds huge resistance although I want to travel to the direction that the waves go and moves very slow! I asked some guys why it's happening but no one believed me!! They say it's in my mind! However I took them for a trip with the boat and they saw it with their eyes. I have also upload a photo to understand what is happening. If anyone of you knows why it is happening I would be thankful if you help me find out what's going on, because it seems very strange to me. Also, sorry for my bad english. Please see my attachment photo I uploaded.

Attachments

• fsd32.jpg
    fsd32.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 2

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That inflatable has too many down issues :

-Lacks boat rigidity, curtin like fabric is way thin. Flexes a lot.
-Assume lacks inflatable keel ?
-Battery is probably too heavy to lie on top air deck.
-Has too much hull drag.
-Electric OB only good for fast displacement speed, right ?
-Probably will need a High Trust Prop, to push better.

Personally wouldn't dare go out with that combo. You need to change boat and OB, get yourself a good quality 350-380 Sib with at least any 2 strokes 9.9-15 HP OB is the way to go. Need a combo that planes to handle fast those sea conditions you described.

Which Sib brands are available in Greece ?

Happy Boating

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Is it possible that even though you are with the waves on the way in, you are against the wind?