Mariner 4 in class three

code p1mp

Cadet
I cannot post in the massive mods thread for some reason. and the old thread on Mariners in whitewater got closed.

I am a new Mariner 4 owner and I have a different approach to this. I plan on running the Coosa river in Alamaba soon in a new 2017 Mariner 4 with just one modification in place to keep from Taco...a solid single piece floor. Not some floor thats got joiner boards, hinges etc but I mean one big booty 9 foot long half inch thick surf board floor. the floor was cut from custom 10' by 4' piece of fir plywood that only Men from Nards can obtain for some reason at the cheap price of $50 per sheet at the time of writing this.. with one solid floor the need for aluminum frames is moot; because the floor board will give rigid hull and all but make taco impossible on these small rapids. Now mind you Coosa is supposedly class 2 that has a couple class 3 areas that can be avoided left or right but to me I'm gonna try it. Why not? I will have tear aid on board along with proper PFD and helmets and I will record the whole thing on a pair of camera glasses, first person. Should make for one heck of a you tube video.
Also some side comments... Should I get any tears or major damages my plan is to cut up the worthless inflatable seats and glue or sonic them over the tears and holes for permanent fix. These boats are way tougher than some in here give them credit for. While the boat is not a "whitewater" raft, it is supposedly rated to class 3 on many sites specification pages that are vendors and we have clearly seen people on youtube use these in class 3. Class 4-5 no.1-3, yes why not?
as to the oarlocks and paddles I have great ideas for them...

Like others, my oarlocks will be used only to hold a two bow bimini when hot out; nothing more. The paddles that came with the boat were only assembled as one double sided kayak paddle instead of an oar. This actually makes one nice kayak paddle that can be taken down as needed; it went into the kayak crap. The other sides of the handles? One got a white LED battery powered anchor light and the other got a red/green bow marker led flashlight and get jammed into the rod holders while simultaneously flying an american flag on one and a gadsden or pirate flag on the other. No go pros on em; didnt like the view.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
code p1mp

If you can post to an old thread, you can start a new thread or post in the Mods and Tips thread.

Anyway, you have a thread all your own.

code p1mp

Cadet
Excellent, a Moderator! well for one I cannot just post in the Mods and Tips page... it never loads? perhaps there is something wrong with it. In any event thanks for creating a new thread; As a noob, I hadn't realized its verboten to add to a thread thats from 2012 but is the only on topic of said discussion.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't know if it is possible to Amend the Tile of the thread, it would be nice to put "Mariner 4" into the title to give a specific watercraft for the topic.

Just a thought.