New to inflatable boating - questions and experience?

PIX530

Recruit
Hi there,
I plan to buy 1st inflatable boat to easy sail with my wife and 2 kids and some gear - ocean and lakes. British Columbia, Vancouver.
Please correct my findings and observations:

1) Saturn boats look fine from price perspective. I can buy SD365 for $1100.
I think inflatable floor would work, as boat will be lighter with 110lbs weight.
I understand advantages of aluminum floor, but weight and time is a factor.
Can consider other bigger boats with inflatable flooring. Or 12' would be enough?

2) I like electric motor idea, so found Torqeedo 4 HP Electric Motor - 915 Wh Battery.
Would this work? Any experience? Anything same power but cheaper available?

Load calculation: boat - 110lbs + motor 35lbs + us (430lbs) + cargo (200lbs) = 775lbs total

3) Transportation. Initially I was thinking to use trailer, however I came to idea to load boat on rails of my Dodge Journey or Ford Escape. (both got rails).
If I do I can transport inflated boat to my backyard and leave it there. Or deflate after each use.
In this case smaller (12' long) boat would be better and lighter to move to trunk.

All suggestions welcome...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Some issues :

Although infltabale deck boats are lighter, ease of assemble, don't perform top as an alum deck boat due to deck rigidity, more water drag issues. If going for a 12 footer you might as well go for next 13 footer size if not on a budget, usually are same width, same tubes diam, just bit longer & slight heavier, but more fun, roomier, less water drag to go boating with.

You like planing at speed or just going at fast displacement speeds ? You can always maximize a prop to make that combo to run faster or even plane. Torqueedo has spare props available for that enterprise. Down issue, are expensive motors including batteries. Personally wouldd go for a 9.8 Tohatsu, 2 strokes much lighter, less complicated if possible to get.

Check if posssible to transport inflated on rails, just secure it well with straps at front, middle rear of inflatable. Just leave it inflated when not in use. It's a PITA to inflate/defalte frequently in not counting with an electric pump and a good foot pump to top it to its factory recommended working pressure specially the air deck.

Happy Boating

PIX530

Recruit
Thank you very much for answer.
I cant find any 13' with inflatable floor. Most models are up to 12. Understand, it should be a good reason why there are no 14-15' with air floor.
Doing more research I found Saturn 365 alternative - Zodiac C350 Aero. Its 2K price for boat, however it is 1foot longer inside compare to Saturn. and 1inch wider.
Weight is declared as 93lbs which is 20lbs lighter compare to Saturn.

I like to go not too fast actually, due to 2 kids on board. However, proper engine is required, mostly to be able to move with suitable speed with load.
For lake any speed is ok. I am more concerned about ocean use - waves and currents.
My estimated distance is 6km from mainland to island trough inlet, so according to this chart:
http://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/outboards/travel/travel-1003/M-1142-20.html
It would take 1 hour Half throttle to reach destination.

I am looking for Torqueedo 1003S (3HP equivalent), their Speed engines are over my desired budget - 4K+ motor and 4K batteries.
Any other capable electric engines available on the market?

Also there is concern of possible stealing, so higher investment = higher loss.
With 1003s I would be able at least to remove battery, if not entire engine and bring it with me.

9.8 Tohatsu, 2 strokes are unavailable, 4 strokes weight 81lbs
Torqueedo weight 33lbs and no fuel required.

Total boat weight:
Zodiac 350 with Torqueedo = 93+33 = 126lbs

Compare to for example 15' Saturn SD470 = 150lbs boat + 100lbs floor + 81lbs engine + 18lbs of gas = 349lbs

I understand 2nd choose would be more comfortable and probably faster, however 350lbs compare to 126lbs is almost 3 times more weight which I will need to carry every time I go to boat.
Also, installation time wise - light boat is 25 min all together to go, bigger one with hard floor and engine would take me at least 1 hour (not including time to bring 350lbs from car)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Saturn has a 13 footer listed on its Canadian Web Page, check. Saturn are pointy nose type inflatables, have reduced bow storage, that's why a 13 is much preferred to a 12 one in terms of bow space. Saturn 13 footer weights around 180 lbs, which weights 120 Lbs, the Zodiac 350 ? Other nice alternative are Mercury dinghies, if not mistaken their air deck series only go up to 3.40 mt.

There aren't any recreational larger sibs with an air deck, they perform real lousy, deck flexes too much. Only available as military ones which are heavy duty, the type that Norris, Rambo likes and costs over 10 grand, just the boat LOL!!

My rowing/boating Club bought a higher end Torqueedo model with a maximized prop, couldn't follow a team of rowers while training at flat calm no wind water cond. Bat depleated fast at full throttle, useless a as a rowing training inflatable. Put back their old 2 stroke Tohatsu 18 HP. Threw 12 K $ direct into the blue..

Down issue, limited power supply, batteries although light are bulky, takes too much deck space along too much wiring harness running around deck compared to a gas OB. If boating without polluting it's a big concern to have in consideration, go for a Lehr propane OB nice alternative., check which HP are available and their factory warranty.

For 8 grand, imagine the nice sib and gas, propane motor combo you could buy. A pity that 2 strokes are no longer available. Would counting with a portable non bulky trailer be an issue ? can have boat inflated along OB living at back transom ready for a quick launch from a shore, marina.

Happy Boating

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would not try to navigate ANY inlet with an electric motor... unless it was an emergency... just saying ;)

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thank you very much for answer.
I cant find any 13' with inflatable floor. Most models are up to 12. Understand, it should be a good reason why there are no 14-15' with air floor.
Doing more research I found Saturn 365 alternative - Zodiac C350 Aero. Its 2K price for boat, however it is 1foot longer inside compare to Saturn. and 1inch wider.
Weight is declared as 93lbs which is 20lbs lighter compare to Saturn.

I like to go not too fast actually, due to 2 kids on board. However, proper engine is required, mostly to be able to move with suitable speed with load.
For lake any speed is ok. I am more concerned about ocean use - waves and currents.
My estimated distance is 6km from mainland to island trough inlet, so according to this chart:
http://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/outboards/travel/travel-1003/M-1142-20.html
It would take 1 hour Half throttle to reach destination.

I am looking for Torqueedo 1003S (3HP equivalent), their Speed engines are over my desired budget - 4K+ motor and 4K batteries.
Any other capable electric engines available on the market?

Also there is concern of possible stealing, so higher investment = higher loss.
With 1003s I would be able at least to remove battery, if not entire engine and bring it with me.

9.8 Tohatsu, 2 strokes are unavailable, 4 strokes weight 81lbs
Torqueedo weight 33lbs and no fuel required.

Total boat weight:
Zodiac 350 with Torqueedo = 93+33 = 126lbs

Compare to for example 15' Saturn SD470 = 150lbs boat + 100lbs floor + 81lbs engine + 18lbs of gas = 349lbs

I understand 2nd choose would be more comfortable and probably faster, however 350lbs compare to 126lbs is almost 3 times more weight which I will need to carry every time I go to boat.
Also, installation time wise - light boat is 25 min all together to go, bigger one with hard floor and engine would take me at least 1 hour (not including time to bring 350lbs from car)

If you want to use the boat in salt water
I strongly suggest you get a Zodiac FR series instead of a Aero series.
The difference is the FR has a high pressure keel and air floor vs the low pressure keel of the Aero.
I would also look at getting a Suzuki 9.9 hp as they are the lightest 4 strokes you can find.
3hp with a soft keel ain't gonna cut it in the surf.

If weight is your issue then you may want to get the Zodiac FR325
It has welded seams and not glued seams.
It is about an inch or two longer and wider than the 12 foot Saturn while only being 11 foot itself
It also weighs 84 pounds and was designed for small outboards
You will however need a good high pressure air pump for the floor and keel

decrepit

Cadet
It's almost nice out here in Vancouver so back looking at this page. Where exactly are you taking this boat? I would not use an electric motor to push 2 people and two kids in that size boat in the water around here, but location matters. I'm using a 9.8 hp 2 stroke on a 12' inflatable from Aquamarine - search Craiglist, but be careful as you're looking for a used engine.
Aquamarine is fine and in Richmond - Saturn looks good too. The Strykers are in Burnaby - overpriced imo unless you like extra crap you don't need. Though they just changed to thermowelded seams.
I would recommend a min of a 9.9 gas engine for anything past a few meters from the beach for safety. Water can be calm, it can also not be.

blackmax115

Recruit
I have a Saturn SD365 and power it with a 25 hp Mercury with 2 people I can go 26mph I do have another motor a 1949 Kiekhaefer Mercury 5hp that pushes the boat at 5 - 8 mph I do not think an electric motor with the load you are suggesting will cut it. a small 4 stroke 6hp to 15 hp might be a choice for you

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
I would ditch the electric motor idea. As mentioned, it would be next to useless in most situations.
Inflatables are ideally at their happiest when up on the plane.
The only advantage a fullinflatable has over a rigid bottom (al or grp) is that you can throw it in the trunk or boot of the car. Otherwise a rigid hull wins every time. You suggest you may tow it on a trailer. This would suggest a rigid hull wouldn't be a problem ?
With that size boat, most are tempted to put a 2-6hp motor on the back. Ideal for 1 man and calm waters. Not so much if you want more than 1 person in the boat and want a bit of fun.
Get yourself a good late 2 stroke 8-10hp. They have loads of power and weigh about the same as a modern 4-6 hp 4 stroke. I have a 2.3m inflatable (with blow up keel) and a 2.6m and 3m rib. I have used all 3 with a short shaft 8hp yamaha 2 stroke. The 3m runs the best, hands down. It's even enough to tow a ringo donught behind with the kids. Great fun and very frugal on fuel.
The only time I really use the wee 2.3m inflatable is if I take it with me on the speedboat to get ashore from anchor, once up the islands. Ideal for that.
Not sure what brands are available in North America, but the best over here (in my experience) would be suzumar (made by Suzuki), honwave (Honda) and obviously your Avons, valiants and Brig.
Hope my insight has helped somewhat.
The main thing is to go for what suits you best and at a minimum hassle and cost. Try and have a feel of the weight of the outboards you fancy. Pretty sure a good 2 stroke 8hp will suit your needs. They do now come at a premium price these days, for the very reason mentioned above. Power to weight is key.