Sea Doo Inflatable Dinghy/Tender

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I picked this up from my brother-in-law last weekend for pretty cheap. Have any of you ever heard of a Sea Doo Dinghy? I can't find any info online. It is the perfect size for us (approx 8') and will be used mostly as a tender and the occasional put around the harbor. The only concerns I have are 1) it only has one air chamber (with boston valve) and 2) has a soft non-inflatable floor.

Do you think I can install a hard floor? Would you all recommend a very small 2 stroke or an electric trolling motor? It has a hard transom, but it is covered by vinyl.

Dinghy1.jpeg

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Thanks! This one is about a year old and doesn't have any tears or seams ripping, so hopefully I got a decent one.

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I wonder why they suggest an electric motor? It seems that a 1.5 hp 2 stroke OB would weigh less than an electric motor and battery.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Most likely because an engine will vibrate a lot more than a trolling motor. Vibration can be more taxing on eh seems.

Have never seen one before. I love everything Seadoo though!

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Does it look like I can make a hard floor for it? It might be difficult with the attached inflatable seats, but it looks like you can slide something under them.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A one part floor might be hard, but a 2 or 3 section floor with some bracing at the joints might work.

A long time ago I had one similar to that except the seats weren't attached. I used a thin sheet of Masonite or hardboard as a deck to protect the soft floor. Cheap enough to replace when the water softened the board because it wasn't waterproof. Some paint extended the lifespan.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
A one part floor might be hard, but a 2 or 3 section floor with some bracing at the joints might work.

A long time ago I had one similar to that except the seats weren't attached. I used a thin sheet of Masonite or hardboard as a deck to protect the soft floor. Cheap enough to replace when the water softened the board because it wasn't waterproof. Some paint extended the lifespan.

If I make a 2 piece floor, do the braces have to make it rigid or can it flex?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The braces would keep the floor sections together. Thin Masonite is going to flex no matter what you do. Basically I used it to keep my feet and junk inside the boat instead taking the Aflac duck with me.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
The braces would keep the floor sections together. Thin Masonite is going to flex no matter what you do. Basically I used it to keep my feet and junk inside the boat instead taking the Aflac duck with me.

Haha. Thanks!

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks! This one is about a year old and doesn't have any tears or seams ripping, so hopefully I got a decent one.

Not trying to rain on your parade but I would be very afraid to use this craft in any Harbor.
Depending on where you live it may not even be legal.
This craft is closer to a water toy than an actual tender.
The fact that it only has one air chamber means it's a toy and not a boat.
In North America there are small boat regulations and this craft dosent meet any of those regulations

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Not trying to rain on your parade but I would be very afraid to use this craft in any Harbor.
Depending on where you live it may not even be legal.
This craft is closer to a water toy than an actual tender.
The fact that it only has one air chamber means it's a toy and not a boat.
In North America there are small boat regulations and this craft dosent meet any of those regulations

Very True Ronald. I am not extremely happy about the single chamber. I thought about the water toy thing when I put it away in the garage next to our HO Sports Delta 3 (which by the way has 3 chambers). I think it would probably be fine to tender us the 50 to 100 yards to the dock in Catalina. However, I am sure it wouldn't be safe for use in an emergency on the water. I will be buying an additional inflatable with multiple chambers before summer (I am leaning back toward the mariner 4). It will be nice to have 2 inflatables in Catalina since we are a family of 5.

ronaldj

Very True Ronald. I am not extremely happy about the single chamber. I thought about the water toy thing when I put it away in the garage next to our HO Sports Delta 3 (which by the way has 3 chambers). I think it would probably be fine to tender us the 50 to 100 yards to the dock in Catalina. However, I am sure it wouldn't be safe for use in an emergency on the water. I will be buying an additional inflatable with multiple chambers before summer (I am leaning back toward the mariner 4). It will be nice to have 2 inflatables in Catalina since we are a family of 5.

Why not get something a little more substantial.
You can get a Saturn which is a lot better boat in the $500 to $1200 range depending on the size.
You can even get something from WM .
I'm not hating on the mariner 4 for lake use they are ok. I just think that's the wrong tool for the job.
You need a real inflatable boat that you can hang a 5 to 15hp outboard on.
That has a self bailer.
You no how quickly conditions change in salt water

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Why not get something a little more substantial.
You can get a Saturn which is a lot better boat in the $500 to $1200 range depending on the size.
You can even get something from WM .
I'm not hating on the mariner 4 for lake use they are ok. I just think that's the wrong tool for the job.
You need a real inflatable boat that you can hang a 5 to 15hp outboard on.
That has a self bailer.
You no how quickly conditions change in salt water

Not sure what I will wind up getting for the long haul, but will likely get something cheaper for now. My daughter graduates from college in May, so I will have $3k a month freed up to spend as I wish. Until then, I really can't afford much.

ronaldj

Not sure what I will wind up getting for the long haul, but will likely get something cheaper for now. My daughter graduates from college in May, so I will have $3k a month freed up to spend as I wish. Until then, I really can't afford much.

Gotcha
Congratulations on the graduation
Now if you can only get her to move out 😉

I fully understand the money thing

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Gotcha
Congratulations on the graduation
Now if you can only get her to move out 😉

I fully understand the money thing

Thanks. I had one graduate last May -- she came home and is is gainfully employed but not looking like she wants to move out any time soon.:blue:

Last edited:

frank70

Recruit
excuse me all I lost my boston Valve ' what its the For that boat? :( i seach anywhere i cant find this information ' Tanks for you help

Status
Not open for further replies.