Mariner 4 or Kolibri KM-260

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for an inexpensive inflatable to use as both a part-time dinghy/tender and for cruising and fishing in the harbor. I have narrowed my choices down to the Intex Mariner 4 and the Kolibri KM-260 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kolibri-KM-2...3D172103106480)

It needs to hold 2 people for fishing and 4 people for approx. 100 yard trips to and from shore a couple times a year in Catalina.

What do you all think? Thanks!

Last edited:

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not much difference in price. I own a Mariner 4. The reason I like it is because It will roll up nice for transport into the back of my small, hatchback auto. I fold down the seats and carry everything, outboard motor, fishing gear, lifejackets, oars etc. It sets up fairly quickly and breaks down quickly as well.

If you can leave the boat in the water, the Kolibri is a better vessel. If you need to pack it, not so much.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I am leaning towards the Mariner 4, mostly because the Kolibri is coming from the Ukraine " [FONT=&quot]International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges"[/FONT]

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If both are about same price, the Kolibri is a much better dinghy, thicker PVC fabric layers. Has a stern built transom. Thermowelded assembly. Achieves better rigidity when inflated due to having thicker fabric. Accepts a larger portable OB.

Mariner 4 cheap curtain like 3 layer fabric, has a stern engine mount. Mariner comes direct from China, so......

A built stern transom is 1000 times better when powering a dinghy with a portable OB, the engine mount will flex the dinghy where the mount is located when powering. Those guys are manufacturing good inflatable products, fabric, dinghy parts are imported, only hand labor is local.

Happy Boating

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Thanks for the information guys. The price is actually not very close. The Kolibri is $399 plus about $250 shipping (still not a bad deal though). The Mariner 4 is about $250 with free shipping.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, I am forgetting how well priced the Mariner 4 is in the US. It is $500 Canadian up here, plus shipping. The Kolibri will not be as suitable if you need to deflate and store often. Other than that it is a better type boat. My Mariner 4 is only used for fishing and it is deflated and bagged each use.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
How long do inflatable last? I found a 2004 Mercury 10' roll-up dinghy with a Suzuki 2.5 hp motor on craigslist for $500. It was stored rolled up indoors when not in use. Do they get brittle and crack over time?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is it possible to have a look as not to make a blind purchase ? If fabric is not cracked, severely dried, seams are in top working order along inflatable deck go for it. It's not same a inflatable used and shaded indoors after use compared to one with constant use and kept outside uncovered to deal with the environment.

Better dinghy than the Mariner 4, the small portable OB is a plus. PCV usually turns brittle over the years after long sun exposure, use and abuse, which is not the case. If going for it ask seller for some warranty, just in case.

Happy Boating

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Make sure that the engine runs. It would be best to take it out for a run, if you are in a warm locale. if it is a 4 stroke engine, in good condition, it is almost worth the price being asked.