Looking for a new inflatable

Fenix84

Cadet
Hello all,

So i m in the process of selling my current inflatable and in the market for a new one. The problem with my current vessel is that it has an aluminum floor. The floor is sturdy and great to stand fish from but i find the assembly time and weight becoming an issue for me.

I've had my eyes on a Zodiac Cadet Aero with an inflatable floor. Does anyone have any comments about this particular model as well as the zodiac inflatable floors? I'm mainly using it to float down a fairly gentle river as well as motoring around a lake on a 10hp outboard.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also since i haven't purchased anything yet are there other boats/brands that users can recommend?

Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
For standing up fishing will go wrong with that mentioned sib. Air decks needs constant top air pumping to achieve a near hard standing surface. Anyway worse atitude than an alum floor including punctures with fish spines.

If trasnportation is not a big issue, could go for same size light rib...

Happy Boating

Fenix84

Cadet
I started looking at the Cadet Fastroller, it has an 11 psi floor vs the 8 psi floor on the areo. Will the extra 3 psi make much of a difference?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will make a difference provided that it's infalted to it's full recommended working pressure with a pressure gauge, but not that rigid as fishing standing up on an alum floorboard. Have you checked small size ribs ? Mercmarine has some nice and affordable ones.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Most ribs are non foldable, there are some exceptions. Zodiac used to have a small rib which you could fold the transom down against deck, store the whole folded rib inside a cover for transportation. There's a russian sib which can be folded in 3 parts and stored in a van's trunk. Can't remember the name though..Someone in this inflatable section might remember its name,

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
F-rib is the foldable rib. Check Internet for them, now available in USA.

Happy Boating

Fenix84

Cadet
Haha, i was just looking at that site. They are quite a bit more expensive than the zodiacs, shipping and customs will probably be an issue for me.

Maybe you can help me. All the inflatable manufacturers i came across with inflatable floors inflate their floors to around 10 PSI (Seamax, Saturn, Aquamarine). For some reason for the Zodiac Aeros my local dealer says they inflate to 8 PSI, seems kinda low for supposedly the top of line manufacturer. Been trying to validate this information but cant find information on any sites.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Usually all air decks can be inflated somewhere from 10 to up to 12-14 psi if brand new. The pressures you have posted are "just in case, kabum" lower working pressures. The issue about F-Ribs is that can't be compared to any other inflatable, price included, are one of a kind, unique. There's a US based dealer, to have an idea of the cost.

http://foldablerib.com/2016/05/01/ne...r-for-the-usa/

Being Hypalon fabricated adds more to the cost, will last more than any other PVC inflatable. BTW, which size sib are you interested in ? If plan fishing while standing up an air deck is not the way to go, unless fishing seated on tubes or on transversal seat if having one.

Those air decks don't maintain a constant pressure, are very prone to environmental temp fluctuations, will need to carry a foot/hand pump along a pressure gauge to top the air deck to it's recommended working pressure for a firm consistency while boating/fishing. Have had 2 air deck sibs a 280 and a 320 and that was the way to go from day one for both if wanting best water performance along floor rigidity.

Happy Boating

Fenix84

Cadet
The price is definitely an issue for me, i was not looking for a boat at that price, even the Zodiac Fast Rollers are pushing the budget, i appreciate the suggestion though.

Here is my application.

I use the boat about 6 times a year, floating down a slow river with no motor, maybe use it on a lake with an outboard once a year. The boat is used for no more than 10 hours at a time. I live in Alberta, Canada so the PVC material should hold up fine, the sun isn't intense here and the boat will not be left in the sun when not in use. I haven't experienced major swings in the air pressure on my last boat since I haven't used an air floor so really have no idea how it would be.

Since i m drifting down the river, the keel really isn't necessary since no keel would actually be more beneficial maneuvering.

My old boat was a 12' 6" with an aluminum floor, it was a great boat but was a little big/heavy and took too much time to assemble and disassemble.

The ideal size for me is around 11' (330) with 2 benches and much lighter (hence why the appeal of a air floor). 90% of the time the boat will have 2 people on it, other times just myself or 3 people, never more. I may need to consider something smaller to get a more solid floor. The boats i looked at around the 320 range only have a single bench which would be a deal breaker for me.

Everywhere i read seems to indicate the same, if I want to stand up and fish there's nothing better than a solid floor. For the convenience of the air floor i may have to adjust the way I fish. I guess i m pretty set on the air floor.

Also who is the maker of your sib 280 and 320. Do you have any comments about them? Any information on air floors in general would really help me with my decision.

Fenix84

Cadet
I also had another question for you.

Do inflatable floors degrade over time? You mentioned that on newer floors you can have a higher pressure than older floors.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Living in Canada look for Seamax air floor inflatables. 330-340-350 are nice portable sizes for 2-3 up.They have some large heavy duty 1.2 mm PVC inflatables, don't know if same gauge on less larger ones that are 0.9 mm on mentioned sizes.

Air deck will degrade with sun punishmnt, seams will go that way too due to glue failing over time, but will take years for that, anyway, cut same size carpet as air floor to protect it from fish spines, hooks, pointy objects.

Is not that have personal issues with air floors, knew well in advance what I was getting into and the counter measures to achieve a overall nice water performance with them.

Happy Boating

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

I have a Zodiac Zoom (originally bought from Boaters World) with an inflatable bottom("keel") + a segmented (3 piece) wood floor that I have had since about 2002.
I run a 9.8hp 4-stroke Tohatsu I bought new in 2003.

As long as you mind the pressures it's great! The boat has performed flawlessly for all the time I have had it!

Now having said the above, I sometimes wish I had gotten a "rigid" with a fiberglass bottom(hull) . Even though the boat performs well when fully inflated, I always have a slight fear I'll hit something jetting around in the lake that could puncture it! It would be less likely with a rigid bottom/hull.

Cheers,

Rick

Fenix84

Cadet
My old boat was a seamax and was great, never had any real issues. What are your thoughts on Aquamarine? I've been looking at this model

http://www.aquamarineboat.com/index.php?mode=prod&id=89

What i like about them is that I can get the air floor model but if i m not happy i can fork over some more cash and grab the aluminum floor in addition. Thus having the option to go either way depending on what i ll be doing.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Now a days you can fabricate any inflatable in PRCH bearing your name on, so fancy brand names are relative, will depend on which Company constructed it, fabric nationality, quality of glue used, general workmanship. If going for the air floor/alum floor option check Saturn, Seamax inflatables, both should offer same floor options on selected size as Aquamarine does.

Anyway, whichever brand you go after, check if dealer offers a nice warranty in case something happens to the inflatable. Order a effective hand or foot pumo along a pressure gauge for the air floor. Thumb pressure monitoring is no indication that air floor is correctly inflated to its recommended working pressure LOL!!

Happy Boating

Fenix84

Cadet
thanks a lot for your help on the subject, i really appreicate it. i think i have enough information to make a decision.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You are welcome, if already having a Seamax alum floor sib in good working order, check if dealer happens to sell an air floor for that size model. Way cheaper than having to buy a complete new one. Unless upgrading to a larger size from current one.

Happy Boating