need to repair pvc on stern

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi
a New fault was revealed (escuse my english if not using exact phrases):
rubber that is surrounding the tubes from their inner side and is glued on the stern is loose! seems that no much adhesives were used originally!
that continues up to the upper edge of the stern wood plate where there it has another rounded layer of pvc that is partially loose but i cannot manage to take the whole thing off due to strong glue there, and above the rounded patch there is another trialngular patch that also is partially free but efforts done by hand with no success taking it off (hope pictures explain better that words).

found in marine shop this glue (p40 is its industrial name) where it has a cleaner and a 2 part glue.

currently i am facing three major dilemmas:
1-should i take of all patches above the rubber band to be able to regule it totally or should i do the parts that i can peel of? if i have to take the whole patches of then should i use heat gun? would hair heater would be enough? by the way, with cleaner it did not help much taking more than muscles did.

2- should i use some clamps to get the rubber bands stick strongly?

3-is this material (p 40 in the picture) would be good for the rubber or it is only to the pvc in your opinion?

by the way, went through all poss here and movies on the net but did not find similar exact case..

would appreciate help here
many thanks
sameh

Attachments

• photo249301.png
    photo249301.png
    445.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249302.png
    photo249302.png
    657.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249303.png
    photo249303.png
    659.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sameh,

That's the only part unglued ? Sometimes you will see everything neatly glued to the eye, but will eventually become unglued with fingernail lift due to bad glue used or already dried, received too much sun UV punishment or poorly inflation.

The quickest way to repair what's unglued would be to remove old glue at both sides and glue back with 2 part PVC glue, deflate both tubes, repair, add weight on holder to press it against transom. Can use clamps. If too much heat is used to remove glued parts can damage, deform tube's fabric..

When both side transom holder fails, transom & tubes, will need a complete rebuild, that's a tedious skilled time demanding work....

Happy Boating

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Sameh,

That's the only part unglued ? Sometimes you will see everything neatly glued to the eye, but will eventually become unglued with fingernail lift due to bad glue used or already dried, received too much sun UV punishment or poorly inflation.
Yes, these are the parts unglued: the rubber part around the tube (numbered 1 in the second picture), the round patch above that (number 2), and the triangular patch above them all (number 3). tried strongly removing the rest but it is strong, what i have now is after peeling off every thing i could of those layers. I don't see another area unglued..should i look for hidden places?
the rubber around the tube ((number 1) seemed at the beginning o.k. but with small area unglued and was removed after small pressure..seems that no much material was used there (between the patch and the stern)!

The quickest way to repair what's unglued would be to remove old glue at both sides and glue back with 2 part PVC glue, deflate both tubes, repair, add weight on holder to press it against transom. Can use clamps. If too much heat is used to remove glued parts can damage, deform tube's fabric..

gluing back when tubes are inflated?
adding weight on holder:what is holders? the triangular patch (number 3)?

When both side transom holder fails, transom & tubes, will need a complete rebuild, that's a tedious skilled time demanding work....
you are speaking hypothetically? or you think this is my situation?

Happy Boating

what is the order of fixing: should i start from inner layer (1) and then to the outside layer (2 then 3)?

sorry i am not familiar with the names even though i have searched a bit. hopefully picture numbered 1,2,3 will bring mutual understanding..

Is there any movie showing how to repair such thing? could not find..

thanks for the help

Attachments

• photo249460.png
    photo249460.png
    574 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249462.png
    photo249462.png
    669.6 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sameh,

Sorry for the terminology. Transom holder is the long black rubber grooved part to which wooden transom holds to. Is upper transom holder glued to upper tubes in good firm condition ? If so, with just small unglued portions on holder, can re glue them back, same for fabric seen on 3. How about other tube side, is it good ?

Lost track of you sib, brand model & lenght, how old is it, was bought new, second hand ? Which HP engine are you currently using. If other portions of holder are still glued, will surely fail in the near future. Transom holder is the principle part of any sib that needs to be well glued onto tubes and transom holder as well, you don't want to lose OB if transom unglues from holder while at power. Poorly inflated sibs running with top HP rated gives ungluing issues on the short run.

If plan ungluing complete holder from tubes for a full repair, will need to mark with a sharpie the full contour of the holder before peeling off from tube. Holder needs to be re glued back from where originally was assembled at factory.

If regluing just the transom portion unglued from middle holder, deflate tubes, see if once glued clamps can be used. If removing complete holder out to reglue both sides, tube must be fully inflated for a perfect match inside holder marked contour.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sameh,

Sorry for the terminology. Transom holder is the long black rubber grooved part to which wooden transom holds to.so it is part 1 in my picture if I understand correctly
Is upper transom holder glued to upper tubes in good firm condition ? yes, looks in perfect condition-the part glued to the tubes. the part where indicated in picture as "loose" wich is on the transom is not glued-a problem to insert new glue because there is small space between it and the stern.

If so, with just small unglued portions on holder, can re glue them back, same for fabric seen on 3. How about other tube side, is it good ? as number 1 in the picture, same for other side (side facing the water) is loose, same for both tubes..can't find trace of much old glue there

Lost track of you sib, brand model & lenght zebec hd380
, how old is it,2 and a half years. second hand that had 3 times on sea with previous owner. covered all the time on trailer.
was bought new, second hand ? Which HP engine are you currently using mercury 15 hp. factory instructions indicates 40 hp maximum.

. If other portions of holder are still glued, will surely fail in the near future. Transom holder is the principle part of any sib that needs to be well glued onto tubes and transom holder as well, you don't want to lose OB if transom unglues from holder while at power. Poorly inflated sibs running with top HP rated gives ungluing issues on the short run.
so based on my describtion now, does it look that critical that needs professional experience or me fixing the unglued portion would be enough?

If plan ungluing complete holder from tubes for a full repair, will need to mark with a sharpie the full contour of the holder before peeling off from tube. Holder needs to be re glued back from where originally was assembled at factory. based on my provided information, do you think i need unpluging complete holder? i hope i won't have to reach that stage..

If regluing just the transom portion unglued from middle holder, deflate tubes, see if once glued clamps can be used. If removing complete holder out to reglue both sides, tube must be fully inflated for a perfect match inside holder marked contour.
thanks for the help. will wait your help and see where to go from there...

Happy Boating
Hi
see above in blue

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sameh.

Zebec is one of the most reputed Korean inflatable manufacturers, probably previous owner used it highly under inflated. I would just re glue well with 2 part pvc glue. Disassembling complete transom/holders down is too much work, it's a high skilled horrible job I couldn't do myself, luckily count with a experienced techie that can repair anything inflatable to factory perfection except balloons LOL!!

Happy Boating