Avon RIB worth restoring

kykingfish

Recruit
Just got a 1986 Avon 10 ft RIB for free. Original owner put in storage in 1991. Was stored in a heated and air conditioned garage. Mint condition. No tears, leaks, fading or patches. Looks in new condition except for some dirty places. Was always semi inflated, no creases in boat. Should I just use it until it poops or try restoring it? I know the glue is the biggest problem, is there anything that could be done to save this great little boat? Thinking of putting a 9.9 or 15 hp on her. Will mainly be using on fresh water lakes and rivers. My first RIB so open to any and all suggestions.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It it's for free what do you have to lose, get a fabric restorer and reaconditioner to look real mint cond. It's a big plus being a Hypalon rib. A sib as well as a rib is completely repairable, tubes included. A 9.9 HP will suffice.

Happy Boating

kykingfish

Recruit
Majic eraser and some 303 looks pretty good. Any suggestions on fabric restorer and reconditioner recommendations. Also would like to add some type of hold downs in hull. Are there any adhesives that would bond to the fiberglass floor or better to use bolts thru the floor and seal with 3m 5200.

Attachments

• avon1.jpg
    avon1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • avon3.jpg
    avon3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
  • avon4.jpg
    avon4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That's an air deck inflatable sib, need to fully inflate tubes, lower keel and air deck to max working pressures if wanting to have real fun with that combo, if not, will not perform as expected. Can glue D rings on inflatable deck to secure just anything. For fabric restorers check Iboats , WM or Defender, apply Aerospace Protectant 303 after restoring tubes.

Happy Boating

Last edited: