AIRHEAD VINYL REPAIR KIT - Mariner 4

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would the Airhead Vinyl Repair Kit be suitable to carry onboard the Mariner 4 as for emergency use? Is this product OK for permanent repairs?

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Went ahead and bought the product. It is supposed to have a good adhesive and no adhesive came in the boat's repair kit.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Bonaventure, honestly I'd really like to offer help or ideas, but I have never ever even been on a RIB or Inflatable. So I can't begin to understand how I would try to repair any cut or hole in such a thing on the water. Maybe some others can chime in with suggestions now with this going to the top again. :noidea:

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was thinking more of getting to shore, the lakes I frequent are not so wide. I will probably carry duct tape. once I bought the Kit and read the instructions I realise that the answer to in field repairs with this item is no. I expect fish hook snags etc.

What about a Crazy glue type product?

Thanks for your response.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I was thinking more of getting to shore, the lakes I frequent are not so wide. I will probably carry duct tape. once I bought the Kit and read the instructions I realise that the answer to in field repairs with this item is no. I expect fish hook snags etc.

What about a Crazy glue type product?

Thanks for your response.

I would suspect you would need something that was impervious to water and set near instantly. That could be Crazy Glue or Cyanoacrylate Glue with a piece of rubber patch, but like I previously stated, I've never tried fixing such an issue before. I do remember years ago the sold tube repair kits that used a glue that you light with a match and allowed it to heat up before dousing the fire and applying the patch. But once it was affixed, it was there to stay. Not sure if something like that would work.:noidea:

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
Not sure where I read it but they advised against super glue. I found a cheap glue/sealant product called Air Stop which is used on PVC material products like our boats are made of. I bought it at a Tractor Supply store. Haven't used it for patches yet but I have used it to glue on State Registration Stickers and it has worked good so far. It produces strong fumes so beware. If you have a patch this should glue on good. I believe the cure time is 30 minutes. The main thing is to find a glue that is made for the PVC material (not the pipes lol). I believe another member on here recommends HH66 glue.

I have taken the wife out numerous times on the boat to fish and she has yet to snag a hook in it YET and she is the type when she gets a bite she yanks back on the rod hard, same with snags. She ha bounced the hook off of the boat numerous times and has yet to set the hook in the boat (YET LOL). I have also taken this boat through some serious shallow water, running down stream and hit numerous rocks etc... and have yet to get a puncture but its coming. The areas I go through on the river are rocky, stumps etc... and very shallow at points and have thrashed it pretty hard. I have been very lucky but have a complete puncture/tear kit on board because where I go there is usually nobody around, no or very limited cell service and the boat launch/truck is usually at 5 miles away. My kit has the supplied patches that came with it; extra material that I got from a tore up boat; glue (Air Stop); duct tape; razor blades; tooth brush (to help clean the area); wet/dry sand paper and marker. All of this is kept in a zip lock bag inside the pouch that is supplied with the boat.

Good luck

Last edited:

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you have a good repair kit. I am a bit limited in availability of stuff in this part of Canada, so I am not sure that the product that you mention is viable. Cross Border purchase oof HAZMAT items is not on. Thanks for your response.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just go to Walmart and they sell small clear adhesive patches for their small inflatables. I think they're made by sevylor, mariner isn't really a high pressure boat. I used them several times and never had to replace them

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Tear-Aid Patch Type A is what you are looking for. It's a clear tape like patch and like tape has adhesive on the back. You peel and stick and it will patch anywhere on the boat and even underwater. I also carry RV awning tape. It is also a heavy duty tape,much cheaper than Tear-Aid and it comes as a good size roll. That being said I have only used it on my awning but it really sticks and holds on that material. You can get RV awning tape almost anywhere RV supplies are sold. If iboats don't carry Tear-Aide you can get it at NRS.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tear-Aid Patch Type A is what you are looking for. It's a clear tape like patch and like tape has adhesive on the back. You peel and stick and it will patch anywhere on the boat and even underwater. I also carry RV awning tape. It is also a heavy duty tape,much cheaper than Tear-Aid and it comes as a good size roll. That being said I have only used it on my awning but it really sticks and holds on that material. You can get RV awning tape almost anywhere RV supplies are sold. If iboats don't carry Tear-Aide you can get it at NRS.

Looks like a good product (just googled it and am going to order it for a back up) BUT the web site recommends using Type B not A for the PVC material. I am going to get a pack of the underwater type. This a quote from it: [h=3]Can Type A be used on vinyl (PVC) materials?[/h] "Do not use Type A on vinyl surfaces. Vinyl materials have oils that in time would cause the Type A adhesive to turn gooy and lift off the vinyl. Only use Type B on vinyl surfaces. The Type B adhesive was made specifically for vinyl."

Last edited:

Brusac

Seaman
I also found the following in the FAQ's on the tear-aid website - "Yes, you can repair directly underwater with the Type B Tear-Aid. Type A must be applied dry."

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry for my error I'm dyslexic and meant type B as that is what I have for my PVC boat...glad you caught it.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for my error I'm dyslexic and meant type B as that is what I have for my PVC boat...glad you caught it.

Honest mistake, I am glad you brought it up because it looks like a decent product for repair on the water! I will have to get some and test it out. I like how it works basically like putting a piece of tape on with very little prep (in other words quick). My kit you have to clean, sand, scrape, apply and wait for 30 minutes. This looks like you just have to clean and apply no waiting. I think I will order a kit and test it out on something. Thanks for the info AlanFox55

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Glad to help out. I used it a short while ago on a very small leak and it work really well.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tear aid is available through Lee Valley Tools here in Canada. I intend to get some in the near future. Thanks everyone for your responses to my ori

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That was supposed to be to my original question.

I keep forgetting you are up there and about posted where to find them in the US. I am not sure about shipping policies to there but Amazon has it too, but if you have it locally you would save the shipping costs.
Have a great day and be careful out there!