Mariner 4 intex

SavageOne

Recruit
I just purchased a Mariner four. I was wondering what is the best motor I can put on it using the normal motor mount system. Thanks for the help

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Trolling motor or very small gas outboard.... It's rated up to 3hp but I wouldn't do more than a 2hp

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
I had a Minn Kota Endura Max 55lb thrust on my mariner 4, the lakes I fished and trolled got bigger and my battery one too many times. so I upgraded to a 2.5 tohatsu 4 stroke last year. It worked great, but I did reinforce my mount a little with a bit of wood as I noticed the motor really pulling the back end down.

I had built my own wood floor and had 2 pedestal seats in mine.. with the trolling motor I would say at best I hit 2-3 mph, with the 2.5hp tohatsu I hit maybe 4mph. its walking speed at best.

I've since sold my Mariner 4 and got a 12' SIB. Now I'm looking to sell my 2.5 tohatsu and getting a 15hp Merc lol

Last edited:

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put a 2 HP Johnson 2 stroke on mine, I have only used it once and am happy with the combination. If I had anything adverse to say, it would be that it sits a bit too deep in the water. The nice thing about this motor is that it weighs 24 pounds. The 4 stroke Tohatsu 2.5 is closer to 40 and that is the maximum weight that INTEX recommends for their motor mount. The Suzuki 2.5 is about 29 pounds, also a 4 stroke.

I can troll for more than 3 hours on a tank (1 liter) of gas. 4 strokes get even better economy.

Brusac

Seaman
I have a 90's model of Minn Kota I use. I believe it is an Endura but not sure ($25 on Craigslist), transom mount but with foot control. As was pointed out, the weight of the motor can pull down on the tubes so reinforcement of the mount is highly recommended. I did a very quick and simple mod that has made a world of difference using a short piece of PVC and some Velcro. As long as I have my extra support bar in place the motor does not pull the tubes down and it stays very stable. I had posted this awhile back in the Mariner 4 Mods forum, but I know that is a lot to dig through so for your convenience here is a link to that post...

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...odifications-and-tips?p=10111625#post10111625

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am currently using the Minn Kota Endura Max 55 and am happy for the most part. I run on lakes and rivers. If you don't run at 100% for long periods you can run a good time on the charge. I have run for 7 hours on one charge (very little current and running mainly around 50% with 100% spurts). I also run two batteries so I can run longer. I also have gotten only 4 hours from running 75% to 100%.
Thinking of going gas soon to fight the currents on the rivers.

300winmag

Seaman
I run the endura maxx 55lb. I seen at my locat bass pro the minn kota 70lb thrust was on sale for $268... didn't think it was worth it because i can pull 2 rafts behind mine on a lake all day long and still not get under 40% battery left.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just to upgrade my previous post, I have used my Mariner 4 several more times and am still happy with the 2 Horse Johnson. I made an adapter from wood which raises the motor about 2 inches or 50 CM. The friend that goes fishing with me is about 240 pounds and due to this, head to sit in the boat somewhat aft in order to trim the vessel so that the motor sits deep enough to draw water for cooling the engine. I am using the original floor and do not own to change to a plywood floor.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After a few trips, with the above bracket, I made another one that is lower. My partner can sit a bit farther forward with this one. It is only about 3/4 inch above the original Barcket. I use it as a Sacrifice piece to keep the outboard from goughing the plastic on the motor mount.