Attaching Transom to Tubes on an Inflatable

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyBoating

Seaman
I was given a Bombard Ax2 with a number of holes in it. In the past I've had great luck using HH-66 to repair PVC, and it seems to be working fine on the holes.
However, I also noticed that the tubes are separating from the rubber transom supports (the rubber parts into which the wooden transom is screwed).
Any suggestions as to what I can use to glue this? HH-66 is awesome on PVC-to-PVC, but I don't know if it will work on PVC-to-rubber.
Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I've always used Zodiac 2 part PVC glue to glue transom back on.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Zodiac PVC 2 part PVC Glue or equivalent, check Iboats or Zodiac Dealer or boating stores that sells them, Will need to buy cleaning/remover prodcuct as well to clean old glue leftovers once transom is removed from rubber mounts.

Happy Boating

BillyBoating

Seaman
Alan, that's an understatement to be sure. The zodiac stuff costs a fortune. Like their boats, they capitalize on the name.
I've also had someone recommend Stabond adhesive. Still expensive, but less than some others

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Other alternative is WM 2 part PVC glues and Toluene for cleaning parts before gluing them back on. costs much less than Zodiac brand. Does NSR 2 part adhesive needs to be applied in at least 2 layers per side or only mix 2 parts and apply once like a silicone ?

High quality 2 part glues or adhesives do have a cost, nobody said boating was a cheap sport LOL

Happy Boating

Last edited:

BillyBoating

Seaman
Thanks again. By WM I assume you mean Western Marine. Not sure I understand your second sentence (?). I understand your point about quality, but fact is this boat has already had 5 large patches applied, and I'd be shocked if I get more than 3-4 years out of it. So if I get a glue that holds that long, I'm ahead of the game. I've honestly thought about running silicone caulk / sealant along the tubes. Yes, it's stupid, but I bet it would last the season.

BillyBoating

Seaman
A follow up question asto how to do the actual gluing:
I can't see a way to glue the transom supports to the tube unless the tube is inflated. Am I correct in thinking I need to have the tube inflated, apply glue, then clamp everything together with a strap to press the tubes against the transom supports?

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Other alternative is WM 2 part PVC glues and Toluene for cleaning parts before gluing them back on. costs much less than Zodiac brand. Does NSR 2 part adhesive needs to be applied in at least 2 layers per side or only mix 2 parts and apply once like a silicone ?

High quality 2 part glues or adhesives do have a cost, nobody said boating was a cheap sport LOL

Happy Boating

I read somewhere else that Toluene was the thing to use for getting the old glue off off PCV. G/Flex from NRS is used by doing one layer on both parts then clamping the parts together lightly.

BillyBoating

Seaman
Thanks Alan. I actually used that very video to repair the floor on an Ax3. That's how I learned about HH66. Awesome stuff.

BillyBoating

Seaman
Thanks again Alan. I ordered some just now. My biggest concern is how to get those tubes tight up against the supports when I glue. Right now, when the boat is inflated, the tube doesn't rest against the support, so I definitely need to strap it together. Probably need to do a dry run to make sure it does seat when strapped before I apply glue.
Given that I got the boat for free, and I don't really care about the look of many patches, I'm willing to put some $$ into getting it on the water. Even the least expensive semi-decent inflatable costs so much it's worth a try. Plus in a dinghy I'm willing to tolerate slow leaks of water in, as I don't ever get in a dinghy with the expectation of staying dry. Heck, I normally get wet getting in.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I have used G/Flex and straps to hold the parts together and it worked really well. Maybe do the transom first,put some weight on the transom to push the tubes up then put a couple of straps around the tube. These are just thoughts though because I have no experience doing a transom.

BillyBoating

Seaman
It's really not the transom itself that's the issue. The transom is in great shape. I just need to attach the transom support pieces. As I said, I think I'll have to try strapping it up first. The idea of putting some weight on the transom may help, but hopefully I won't need to do so.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Need to reglue the exterior of the rubber transom support back onto tubes, right ? whichever glue you use must scrape off all factory glue leftovers used previously. Support must be in a immaculate clean state before applying new glue, Much better is to re glue the complete rubber holder than just repairing the unglued portion as will keep failing with use if done that way.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Personally don't do repairs, have a techie for it, he usually removes most of glued leftovers mechanically but gently with a big flat screwdriver, an edged tool, scraper, spatula and then cleans the entire rubber transom holder with Toluene, besides cleaning holder and side tube fabric to immaculate state, will prepare both materials for its new gluing, this also applies for re patching old patches, patching new holes, cuts, abrassion issues.

One thing that have seen with non skilled techies is that if using too much heat along closeness with a heat gun you could end deforming the rubber holder and side tube fabric as well.. BTW, the store is as you mentioned but without ern ending. Can check Toluene with them..

Happy Boating

BillyBoating

Seaman
I meant does your techie use a heat gun to remove the transom supports all the way, then clean them as you describe? Only parts of mine are unglued, and frankly I do have concerns that taking them all the way off may lead to me causing more damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.