6hp, 8hp or 9.9hp for my 12ft SIB?

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there, I am looking for a new outboard for my 12' SIB. I went out this past weekend on a fishing trip on a fairly large lake. Weather wasn't great and the wind was blowing around 20mph. I have a little 2.5hp Tohatsu and it was a struggle getting back to the dock. I swear we were only going about 4mph at best.. it was myself and another friend. We probably weighed around 400lbs with gear. My boat is rated for up to a 20hp motor. But I want something I can troll nicely with and up here if the hp is over 10, you have to register the boat. I'd rather not do that.

I've been looking around my area for a decent motor. So far the Yamaha and Honda 9.9s are around $3000 CDN. Its a little pricey, and I'd rather try to not spend that much.

I have found a 6hp Mercury for $1350 and a 8hp Mercury for $1900. All these engines are 4-stroke.

I think the 6hp Merc might be a little too slow for my liking, and the 9.9hp Yammy and Honda are expensive... the 8hp Merc is the most intriguing to me as the price is decent and somewhat affordable to me.

Do you guys think the 8hp Merc is a good motor? will it get me around fast enough? 3-4mph with my 2.5hp sucked.. It would be nice to get on a plane but my biggest concern is increasing my speed but retaining trolling ability.

The $1100 savings with the 8hp over the 9.9 seems like a better bang for my buck.. if it was only $3-400 difference I think I would go with the 9.9

With the 6hp would it be close to just as fast as the 8hp? cause that's also a pretty big price savings going to a 6hp.. also the weight difference.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If both mentioned HP are newer 4 stroker engines, are rebadged Tohatsus. The 6 is only a 123 CC engine while the 8 is a 203 CC one. Could go for a 9.8, is same as the 8 but has 1.8 HP more power with same exact weight. A champ by itself. Check with Tohatsu dealers, should cost less compared to Merc prices.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Man... No way.... You can find really nice running older Johnson or Evinrude 2 strokes on Craigslist for $500 or less.... And you'll save on weight! I bought a 89 Johnson 15hp in immaculate condition for $650 a couple years ago.

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
I've seen nothing in my area on the classifieds for a decent price.. 5hp Coleman for $1050, 8hp 2-stroke Johnson for $850 with no tank.. a older 9.9 Force (mercury?) for $1000

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
Check these motors out. They are one year used in Canadian fish camps are like new and come with a warranty. They come from a dealer in Canada.

http://smalloutboards.com/m99.htm#camp

These are OK prices. If they were from Canada (where I am) and shipped from Canada it would be a decent deal. But they ship from Florida and the prices are in USD. $1725 US is quite expensive for a used 9.9 merc. I called Bass Pro here and they have a brand new Mercury 9.9 for $2139 CDN. I am seriously considering this motor. But I am also considering the 9.9 from Honda and Yamaha as well. But they are closer to $3000. Just heard that Mercury is a re-badged Tohatsu... not sure if that is bad or good. But it's an $700-800 difference between the Mercury to a Honda/Yamaha

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
You were looking at the description for new 2014 motors from Florida. Scroll down and you will see where they say you are ordering the fish camp motors directly from Canada. The price I saw was $1500 for a 9.9 motor but I assume you were adding the $200 for shipping. It might be worth giving them a call for all the details. I thinking they might be coming from an area in Ontario just north of Michigan where there are a lot of fishing camps.

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
I think I am going to buy new, the Bass Pro here has some good prices on their Mercury motors. 9.9 for $2139, 15hp for $2389 and a 20hp for $2539.

I think the 15hp may be worth it as long as I can troll slow enough without modding the motor or running drag socks.. The 20hp is the same weight as the 15hp and isn't much more.. I think 9.9 is a good sweet spot but maybe the 15 would be better in the long run

mrdrh99

I'd easily spend the extra $200 on the 15 over the 9.9... Being brand new I'm sure you can troll fine

Kazkut

Cadet
I jus bought a 2016 tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke from onlineoutboards for 1899 shipped. Pretty sweet deal.

Would have went with the 15 but the issue of loading/unloading and mounting/unmounting of an extra 35 lbs for the 15 scared me away.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You don't want the Merc or Honda 9.9's for slow trolling on a small boat, it can be difficult to control the RPM's right above idle, they're both very touchy in that range.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I would jump on the 20 and at the same time Bass Pro is mounting your motor see if a small trolling motor will fit too. I can fit a trolling motor on my 14 footer even with a remote control steering arm on the same side. You can see the trolling motor in the pic.80 (1).JPG

mrdrh99

If I was buying brand new I would go tohatsu.... Seems you get more for your money

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
OP already bought a brand new 4T/ 9.8/HP-OB, a 12 footer sib has no transom available space to sit a main and a kicker at same time.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
OP already bought a brand new 4T/ 9.8/HP-OB, a 12 footer sib has no transom available space to sit a main and a kicker at same time.

Happy Boating

I don't see where it says the OP bought a motor. Did he PM you?

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
I have not bought a new motor yet. But I definitely don't have as much space on my transom as your 14'. Plus the added cost and weight of lugging a deep cycle battery and trolling motor doesn't appeal to me. If I can troll at idle with the 20hp merc I would get it. Over the 15 since it's the same weight and less than $200 more. I am leaning towards the 15 over the 9.9.... just need to see if the 20hp would not be ideal for trolling. I think with myself, fishin buddy and gear I would be adding approximately 500lbs to the boats 186lb weight.

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
Tohatsu is supposed to be cheaper but where I am the Tohatsu 9.8 is actually $200 more than the merc 9.9 and the same price as the Merc 15. So for me it's going to be a Merc. Just need to figure out which one!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I don't see where it says the OP bought a motor. Did he PM you?

Sorry, mil disculpas, desole, acusate, Entschuldigung. Actually Katz was the one who bought a new Tohatsu. Had to be that picky with my wrong post ?

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Tohatsu is supposed to be cheaper but where I am the Tohatsu 9.8 is actually $200 more than the merc 9.9 and the same price as the Merc 15. So for me it's going to be a Merc. Just need to figure out which one!

If price and weight is not a real concern, would go straight for the 15 HP, will have more boating fun.

Happy Boating

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
If price and weight is not a real concern, would go straight for the 15 HP, will have more boating fun.

Happy Boating

I am leaning towards the 15... but the 20 is the same weight and only $150 more. :)

but do you think the 20hp would troll too fast? I troll for Northern Pike, so fairly aggressive species...