Another Zodiac came apart

Strecker25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, I have a 1999 West/Zodiac RU310HP inflatable. While in the sun yesterday, the glue on the bottom failed and separated from the tubes. I've read this is a common occurrence, and am just happy it didn't happen while I was in 20ft of water driving around.

At any rate, I'd like to get her fixed up. After reading many threads I've seen people have good luck re gluing with HH-66 Vinyl Cement. I also read one thread where someone used Oatey X-15 shower vinyl adhesive. The MSDS show HH-66 uses MEK as the active ingredient, while X-15 is Tetrahydrofuran. I don't know much about either, but those are clearly different chemicals.

I also did a test section using the included repair glue, and it seems to make a very strong bond, but to get enough to fix the whole bottom would cost a small fortune.

Any advice is very welcome, of course this happens right before memorial day...

Here's a pic of the damage.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Go to the NRS web site for lots of good info. I just purchased some HH-66 from them but haven't used it yet. If they sell it it works but it needs to be the correct adhesive for your boat and application. I'm assuming your boat is PCV? NRS site is NRS.com.

Strecker25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, PVC. I have a can of HH-66 coming as well as some stabond. I am going to reattach with the stabond first, and I may add a second reinforcement strip over the original for some added safety and strength.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Stabond is good stuff too and it's a two part adhesive, which generally has a stronger bond than a one part glue. Stabond was about twice as much as HH-66 was it not? Clifton is what I have most of my experience with and that's about twice as expensive too. That's why when I saw that NRS started selling HH-66 I figured it must be good so ordered me a can. If I was you I would give NRS a call and see what they have to say.

Strecker25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, the pint was like 40 something shipped for stabond, amazon had HH-66 on prime for like 20 so I'll send it back if the stabond works. I did send NRS off a note, here was their response

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting us. Stabond is a good go-to glue and will work. The other option is the Clifton Urethane adhesive for PVC-to-PVC repairs.

I really don't want to buy a new dink, and a RIB is out of the question for us as we're only a 30' sundancer so I need to be able to break it down at times. The air floor is perfect, I really hope I can fix this thing.

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You got 17 years out of a PVC west marine boat. You said it yourself your glad it did not happen in open water. Why would you even want to take a chance on a boat only built to last 10 years. Inflatable boats are dirt cheap now a days So go buy a new one. Heck if get even 10 years out of my new Achilles made of hypalon I will have homerunned it in my book.

Strecker25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I realize that everything is relative, but I by no means consider a new inflatable cheap. I can't find anything less than $1,000 that appears to have any reasonable quality. To me that is not dirt cheap.

I also got 4 weeks our of the boat, the previous owner got 17 years, so you can imagine my frustration

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im by no means a big money baller but there is a saying with boats that i truly believe. Take a 100 dollar bill and flush it down the toilet. If it upsets you really bad then you got no business owning a boat. I would cut your losses.you will put the time into repairing it and it will mostlikely fail again. But i hope not for your sake. Good luck

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Im by no means a big money baller but there is a saying with boats that i truly believe. Take a 100 dollar bill and flush it down the toilet. If it upsets you really bad then you got no business owning a boat. I would cut your losses.you will put the time into repairing it and it will mostlikely fail again. But i hope not for your sake. Good luck

😂 That's hilarious!

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Hello everyone!

The past few weeks we've seen quite a few people on this forum who are having issues with their inflatables because of UV damage. PVC and other plastics are extremely susceptible to degradation and discoloration caused by prolonged and unprotected sun exposure. It is very important to store your inflatable out of direct sunlight when it is not in use or to at least have it covered. Whether you are simply using your inflatable or you need to leave it out for a prolonged period of time, it is vital that you use a UV protectant of some sort. Our 303? UV Protectant for Inflatable Boats offers superior UV protection to prevent fading and cracking, helps repel dust, dirt/grime, and staining, and leaves a natural matte finish free from any oily or greasy residue.

The first five people to comment on this post will receive a free bottle of our 303? UV Protectant for Inflatable Boats! Just comment on this post and then send us a PM with your name and address so that we can ship you your product as soon as possible. All we ask is that you give us an honest review of the product within 30 days of receiving it.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The issue is not about Sib fabric failing, it's all about glued parts failing. With time and depending on your boating location (more or less UV sun punishment, worst these days)) all glued parts will eventually fail, but you can patche them back on with a much better quality 2 part glue, that applies for all asian made Sibs. Glued parts on a well inflated Sib while at use will remain longer glued as opposed to underinflated ones while at use.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This is a clear example of inflatables you should stay away from buying, much worse if been warned about it.

DSCF5285.JPG

Buyer went straight to this catastrophic 3 K $ purchase, installed a center console, driving wheel and remote control at an extra cost to find latter before going on its maiden voyage that tubes are becoming unglued from transom and rubstrake from tubes.

DSCF5286.JPG

Old and abused Hypalon fabric is cracked and porous, although patched all around, loses air and deflates fast. OB is hard to start and prop is not in top shape. This owner has definitively learned the hard and expensive way...RIP Rib...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's a 380 Mtr Zodiac Rib, at this time its just good to take pics or dry boating on top trailer. Its glorious boating moment is over. Owner will need to buy large cans of internal tube sealer or re tube the whole Rib in the very short time if still wanting to count with it.

Happy Boating

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Between parts, labor, and time wouldn't he better off to keep the console, controls, motor, trailer and just find a another boat?!

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wish zodiac made hypalon boats that were in the same price point as Achilles because zodiac makes some of the best looking boats.even that old warn out RIB looks like a blast to ride in.I just can see paying 6k for a zodiac that is made of PVC. I spoke extensively with a authorized repair shop in my neck of the woods and he told me that a PVC zodiac here in Texas will come apart at the transom in as little as 4-5 five years every time.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Much less for newer asian ones that are glued with less quality glue tan Zodiac ones. One thing that acccounts for premature transom failure is ridding under inflated Sibs, much worse with 4 strokes heavy OB's for long time periods.

Happy Boating

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone!

The past few weeks we've seen quite a few people on this forum who are having issues with their inflatables because of UV damage. PVC and other plastics are extremely susceptible to degradation and discoloration caused by prolonged and unprotected sun exposure. It is very important to store your inflatable out of direct sunlight when it is not in use or to at least have it covered. Whether you are simply using your inflatable or you need to leave it out for a prolonged period of time, it is vital that you use a UV protectant of some sort. Our 303? UV Protectant for Inflatable Boats offers superior UV protection to prevent fading and cracking, helps repel dust, dirt/grime, and staining, and leaves a natural matte finish free from any oily or greasy residue.

The first five people to comment on this post will receive a free bottle of our 303? UV Protectant for Inflatable Boats! Just comment on this post and then send us a PM with your name and address so that we can ship you your product as soon as possible. All we ask is that you give us an honest review of the product within 30 days of receiving it.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Got my bottle today. thank you so much.

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

303? UV Protectant sounds like an interesting product, I'd like to give it a try and would be willing to provide some of my input after using it.