Does salt water deteriorate PVC?

decrepit

Cadet
Something I'm not clear about - little written about it, from what I can find - anyway, does salt water deteriorate PVC?

I'm on one of the Canadian Gulf islands, wells are our water source, and we get VERY dry in the summer. Water conservation is not an option, it's a "do it our your well's running dry" sort of thing. Washing the boat after use is something I'd like to skip.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The short answer is no. But.....sunlight is a absolute killer of PVC.

Use black PVC if available, otherwise plan on replacing every couple of years.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Salt never bothered my fabric, but anything metal needs to be cleaned well. I think a good cleaning with PVC conditioner should suffice.... And yes uv rays are your worst enemy, at least keep it covered when not in use.

decrepit

Cadet
Ok - looks like PVC is mostly made of salt, somehow (instead of searching "inflatable boat + salt corrosion" I searched "pvc + salt corrosion" and learned things yesterday). The oar screws salt up quickly, a little marine grease helped there. The boat's kept inside in its bag when not in use. I just wanted to confirm that I didn't need to stress about washing it - engine rinsing uses enough water (soon we won't be able to do an engine rinse without a permit from the fire department!).

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Instead of washing the whole Sib, mosisten a towel and pass it along Sib's tubes or will see salt layer building on them with no issues at all.

Happy Boating

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Hi everyone!

dingbat is absolutely right, sunlight will significantly degrade your PVC. We recommend our 303? UV Protectant for Inflatable Boats. It provides superior UV protection to prevent fading, discoloration and cracking of your inflatable boats. It also helps repel dust and stains, too. It dries to a natural matte finish, so you won't get that greasy film that some products leave.

The first five people to comment on this thread will receive a FREE BOTTLE of our 303? UV Protectant for Inflatable Boats. All we ask is that you post a review of the product within 30 days of receiving it.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi everyone!

dingbat is absolutely right, sunlight will significantly degrade your PVC. We recommend our 303? UV Protectant for Inflatable Boats. It provides superior UV protection to prevent fading, discoloration and cracking of your inflatable boats. It also helps repel dust and stains, too. It dries to a natural matte finish, so you won't get that greasy film that some products leave.

The first five people to comment on this thread will receive a FREE BOTTLE of our 303? UV Protectant for Inflatable Boats. All we ask is that you post a review of the product within 30 days of receiving it.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Would to try your product, how do we get the free bottle?!

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Would to try your product, how do we get the free bottle?!

Hi mrdrh99!

We apologize, we should have included that in our original post! If you would like to receive one of the free samples of 303? UV Protectant for Inflatable Boats please just PM us your address and we will ship it to you as soon as possible.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Just a comment, been using Aerospace 303 Protectant for at least the past 3 years on all my Sibs-Ribs tubes, car dashboard, even wrist watch rubber bands, diving gear with excellent UV punishment protection. Materials made from of mentioned products stays always fresh and flexible. A highly recommended product.

Happy Boating

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The aerospace is pretty sweet stuff. I did a patch on my hypalon boat that was coated with 303 and it came off very easy with toluene and the patch stuck on very nicely.