Tip for setting up SIB aluminum floors

decrepit

Cadet
I set up our boat each outing - as anyone who has an aluminum floored SIB knows, putting in the floors is a pain. Getting the side edges in/out usually causes me to swear.

After soaking the boat in 303 protectant spray, the side edges slip into place with a fraction of the effort as before. I highly recommend using it, or something similar, if you intend to assemble/disassemble your boat often.

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks for the tip
what is 303 protectant by thr way?

decrepit

Cadet
It's called 3M 303 Aerospace protectant spray - it's a PVC/plastic protector, like sunscreen for your boat, for limiting UV damage. There's probably a few products that do the same thing, but this is what many seem to recommend on the internet.The internet also warns against similar products with silicone in them - so don't use Armour All.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you have found that assembling a alum floor Sib is a real PITA, to make your boating life less miserable LOL, spray an overdose of soappy water inside Sib's fabric floor & side countour, include side joiners cuts as well. Once Sib is on its way growing to full lenght all alum panels will slide accordingly in place faster. 303 Aerospace applied on side joiners cuts will leave a thin sliding layer which could make side joiners to travel forward or backwards from originally middle deck installed when Sib is in motion.

Happy Boating