Lets talk adhesives and anything related to adhesives.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I think if you own an inflatable sooner or later your going to need to do some gluing wether it be patches, d-rings or numerous other things. I did a lot of gluing last year and had to do a lot of research to find the information I needed to do a proper job before I started. I hope this thread can be one of those sources people can also turn to for the information they're looking for. I'll start off by listing a couple of links I've found very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am glad you decided to go ahead to start this thread like you said you would!
Good information! I will look in my book marks tomorrow and see if I can add some links too.
BTW my HH-66 should be here on Monday so I will report how the new d-rings do using that.
good job!

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks yeah I have a can of that but won't get around to using it for a little while. Right now all my time is being used up getting my other boat ready for the water which I expect to happen sometime next week.

One of the items I was gluing onto the boat last year was Rail Blaza mounting pads. If you don't know what Rail Blaza is look at the rods in the picture and notice what's holding them. Rail Blaza makes a bunch of stuff that attaches and detach from the pads so you can move items around. I glued four pads onto my tubes using Rail Blaza's instructions which was a little different then the conventional method more commonly found. Started with light sanding of tube and pad. Used a pencil to draw an outline of the pad using the pad as a template. Used MEK to clean and prep pad and tube. After applying first coating let dry for I believe five minutes then apply the 2nd and let that dry also. Then I used a hair dryer to soften the glue and heat up the pad so it would better bend to the shape of the tubes. After putting the two parts together I used a roller tool to get air bubbles out and get every part of the pad down solid on the glue. If a little bit of an edge didn't stick I would just heat it up again then do more rolling. That's it and as you can see this method worked out really well. By the way it was Clifton adhesive I was using.
20150420_164553 (2).JPG
20151013_190147 (1280x720).jpg

Last edited: