Tubing how big to go

Space_car_93

Recruit
Hello I am trying to find out what to get I am looking at two different WOW tubes the super thriller or the giant thriller I am new to tubing but I want to know how big is too big I have a 2003 19 foot stingray with a 4.3l engine I am bringing 6 adults on my boat and want to have fun so the super tube is a 3 person tube and is 75 inches the giant is 4 person and 90 inches wide. I want to really get them going and kicked way outside the wake dose the size really matter?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

I found with tubes that hold 3-people or more, they generally dont get used as much as the 1-2 person tubes simply because their ackward size. remember, you have to transport the tube.

using a large tube with a single person can cause the tube to go air-born

A 19' boat will be tight with 6 people. where are you going to put the tube as you motor along to your favorite spot?

Also remember, pulling a tube too fast to "really get them going" is a good way to cause injury. most tubes have a tow speed of 20-25mph

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To get the most fun out of a tube, perform a wot run with 6 adults, check achieved max wot revs. Check if at least at middle wot rpm stated for that I/B model, can maximize a less prop pitch to pull revs up if in need. Engine will work more efficiently and stress free. Pulling large, wide tubes along tubbers adds extra unwanted drag that will traduce in lower wot rpm. As a safty factor, don't go beyond max speed factory stated for that size tube.

Can transport any size tube to final destination by towing it empty using a large rope with floats secured to rear of boat. Being inflatable can be inflated/deflated at any time and trowing it inside your trunk once on Terra Firme.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
It depends on a lot of things including what kind of ride the tubers want, or what kind of ride the driver is going to give them. One thing to consider is the more people on the tube for a wild ride, the more chance for them injuring each other from person-to-person collisions - heads can be the worst