Is Zodiac Futura too big for rocky 2 person launch? Other suggestions?

missin_maine

Recruit
Hi - finally signed up instead of just lurking. Nice to be here! I did a bunch of searching the forums and have no idea what to get.

I own an unusual property in southern Maine...with multiple acres of fields and a long stretch of coastline. In front of our house are jagged, deadly cliffs, but about a quarter mile away, across some fields, we have steps down the rocks to a small pocket beach. The beach is a bit sandy at high tide, but beneath the water's surface it is pretty rocky. At high tide it's not too hard to hike out to the open ocean across the rocks. At low tide it is annoyingly far across a lot of slippery seaweedy rocks, and I wouldn't bother.

It is facing pretty much open ocean, so there are wildly different conditions. On a calm day you could launch a paddleboard or kayak by yourself (if you're wearing something on your feet to walk across the rocks) no problem. On a rough day it's 10 foot surf and dangerous.

I'd like to explore options for launching an inflatable on calm days, assuming I have at least 1 friend to help.

further notes:

- there's no way to get a trailer down the beach.
- I am ok leaving something out in the elements for the summer, as long as it'll last at least a few summers. I will trade longevity or pay more money (or both) for convenience.
- I have a John Deeere gator and can tow things with it and can throw an engine in the back to drive it around...

I'm pretty price insensitive...if cost isn't really an option, I'm wondering what those of you on the forum think would be an ideal inflatable. I'm also ok beating on something if it gives me at least a few years of good times...I don't want to sound careless or indifferent about money, but I'd rather buy something with knowledge that I can semi-mistreat it for 5 years and have it wear out, versus not use it at all because I have to lug it back to the house every time I use it, to treat it, run freshwater through it, etc., to make it last 10 years or more. Or I need a crew to drag it out so it doesn't touch the rocks.

When I imagine using this thing, I imagine at least 2 grown men (maybe with a couple other people, maybe not), heading down to the beach, dragging something out across the slippery rocks, hopping in, and zipping around to an island or going snorkling or something.

Specifically, here's what I'm thinking:
- Maybe I could just leave something chained up to the stairs at the bottom? And just bring it in labor day through memorial day.
- I believe 2 of us would be strong enough to drag a 250lb or less (say a Futura mk2 + 20hp or less motor) across the rocks. They are covered in seaweed and pretty slippery. They're not sharp, with the exception of some barnacles....but is that going to destroy the boat in 1 day? 1 year? 5 years?
- I don't care about something super sporty and fast - 20hp or less is fine, but I'd like to be able to get 4 or 5 people out to an island or out snorkeling, in the ocean.
- on calms days, is possible to anchor it in the open ocean right out front? (I found some discussion of what anchors to buy on here, but I don't have a clear understanding of how protected an area has to be)

Another possibility if anchoring is a possibility: I launch it with a trailer nearby (~1 mile drive) and leave it anchored out front a lot of the time, and we swim out to it when we want to use it. That's less ideal.

Anyway: I guess my question is: if cost isn't so much a concern, but getting something launchable and fun down there is the goal, something rugged, what would you get? Any suggestions for ideal equipment?

Thanks everyone!

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
At high tide.... How deep is the water over the rocks? Would your hull be dragging along the top of them? Your OB will drop the back end a bit (not too badly). Have you ever had an inflatable before?

missin_maine

Recruit
No, never had an inflatable . I think where it goes from sand to rocky it's probably a foot to 18" deep on average . So basically it would be dragging from the sand into the water with some banging on the rocks (since there are waves).

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome to the forum! There's a few parts to your question but I'm just going to answer one. Your going to have to have a trailer and use the boat ramp to pull the boat out of the water every time you use it. Your going to be in salt water which means after every use you have to flush your motor with fresh water. More then likely that means in your driveway hooked up to a hose. You also will need a good size boat and motor to move five or six people with gear in the ocean which also means you are going to need a trailer. What size boat and motor? I'll let Sea Rider answer that but for an example I have a 14ft boat with a 30hp to move myself a 100lb dog and maybe one other adult. I wouldn't want less then that for me but most people on this forum get by with less.Croped Sea Eagle.JPG

missin_maine

Recruit
Thanks alanfox55 - nice looking boat!

This is unfortunately the answer I feared. I learned a valuable lesson over the last couple summers, owning 2 jet skis. If I had a couple free hours to kill not watching the kids, I couldn't grab a friend and launch them out front. The time associated with each use was at least 2 hours excluding the recreation: driving to and then waiting my turn at the local launch, and then afterwards an hour back in the driveway flushing freshwater, spraying the engines down, etc., and the net result was I just didn't end up using them. I'm going to sell them this summer.

If it's impossible to leave an inflatable down on my beach, and *every time* I have to dissassemble/deflate to carry back up my stairs, drive it back to my garage, and flush, every time, I don't think it'll work out. I was hoping for an answer of the form: well, model X can be dragged across some rocks and still last a few years...and it's not the end of the world if you don't flush it every use...it'll just knock the life expectancy down some.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
We need Sea Rider to put his 2 cents in here because he runs in salt water and has the most experience. I'm sorry my reply wasn't as positive as you hoped but you might be glad to hear that I really think if there's a will there's a way so don't give up yet. There are wheels that are made to attach to your transom that allows one person to pull their boat with motor mounted and all gear aboard down to the water. Once in the water the wheels are lifted up and locked in place on the transom where they stay until you get back to land. Don't know if that would work for you but there it is. I do know to do that you'll need a smaller boat and motor but if it's just you and one other person that's doable. How long a motor will last not flushing or washing off I couldn't say. Maybe there is something out there made to where you don't have to,I've never heard of anything but maybe. Could you hire someone to do the flushing,put your boat in and out of the water? I take care of a couple of peoples boats and motors and I only charge them $10 an hr. If they needed me to put their boats in the water I would be happy to do that and it wouldn't cost them a great deal of money. Do you have a marina close by where you can keep the boat? I'm sure you could have them take care of everything too just for more money. Do you have to go boating on the weekend can you go during the week? There's a river and lake here that I boat on but I never go on the weekend...to many people. I'm able to go during the week and often I'll have the use of the ramp all to my self. Again I think if there's a will there's a way so hang in there I'm sure you'll be getting a lot more answers to your questions coming soon.

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hate to say but you will either hurt yourself or damage any boat you buy carrying over those rocks. 250 pounds is way to much weight for 2 strong adults on unstable ground. I would pick up a zodiac Mk1 classic with aluminum floor. It only weighs 144 pounds. The boat is PVC so UV rays should not be a problem since you live in Maine. Since money is not a problem take a trip to the Bahamas and buy a brand new Yamaha 2 stroke short shaft 15hp. It only weighs 79 pounds. Also buy yourself some transom launch wheels from defender dot com I have a YouTube review on those you can check out. I don't own a trailer and use my boat 6-8 times a month so I know what's involved to get a boat from the car to the water very well. Defender also has the boat too in stock for 2600 bucks.

Last edited:

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man I would love to see a pick too of you shoreline where you would launch from every time too

missin_maine

Recruit
> Could you hire someone to do the flushing,put your boat in and out of the water? I take care of a couple of peoples boats and motors and I only charge them $10 an hr.

I think sure, but I guess it's more of a question of where the boat is when I want to use it...is it sitting down on our little pocket beach, or do I need to get it from the house down the steps to our beach, and even then, can I launch it from there? Or is this only the kind of thing I can launch from the public launch a mile away? In my ideal world we could launch it from the property with minimal extra effort.

@gowozhog - here it is at high tide...I'm not in Maine now and I Don't have one at low tide, but just under the surface here is a lot of seaweed covered rocks.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75282398/beach_and_rocks.jpg

Getting something from the house down to that beach is kind of an ordeal. I would likely have to inflate something down there.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
For practical purposes with minimal effort personally would go for a 400/420 Rib, with trailer and 25/30 HP, 2 or 4 strokes OB's go to the nearest boat ramp and launch from there, can rinse Rib and flush OB after use. Cons : Driving house/boat ramp and vice versa, launching in line if it's a popular launching ramp. Install a proper deep anchoring point at house beach, moor combo there all day long, drive combo back to launch ramp and take home. Assume you can leave car and trailer parked there day long, right ?

Seems that you can't possibly have all what needed at your location as there are many factors to deal with :

Alternative :

- 340/350 Air Deck Sib with a light portable OB say a 9.8 HP
-Light weight, ease of assembly, portability.
- Will need to have reinforced lower tubes for rock abrassion & barnacle protection specially if Sib will be bouncing on rocks while anchored at front of houes at low tide.
-Sharp barnacles will rip any PVC, Haypalon fabric in a short term....

Cons : Just good for 2 up + some gear if plan making boat excursions, light fishing or more boaters just for goofing around while sipping some cold ones.

What's the distance from house to shore, is it possible to transport any combo with attached transom wheels easily and have it permanently inflated at house. If so could count with a larger alum Sib & OB including proper Sib rinse and OB flush after use.

Is it possible to clear rocks to make a straight seashore path to open waters, install a deep anchoring point front of house and have combo moored there throughout the day ? at late afternoon could transport combo back to house.

Sometimes it's not easy to count with a crew of 4 on a permanent basis to transport a larger Sib and heavier OB from house and launch to sea, a shorter and lighter one with just 2 will. The only troubling issue would be that round rocks could turn very slippery if having algae growing on them, imagine while carrying and launching Sib and OB through rocky path into deeper sea without launching wheels.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What about having a pier/dock built out over the shallow area? I have no idea what that may cost but I think having a floating dock to take you out to your boat would be more than ideal

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A fixed concrete pier, dock is quite expensive, withstand waves much better than plastic floating ones, his sea cond and underwater seabed is extremely variable as stated by OP. Had same issue when going to a far away beach condo for days, don't want to assemble/disassemble my 320 Sib/5HP combo nor take it in/out of water and leave it resting on shore while in daily use.

Nuevo Paracas Condo.JPG

Installed a 5 meter deep anchor point 50 meters from shore it's a 100 kilo concrete square block, with middle chain & round upper medium size float to moor combo there while remaining at location. It's reachable by fins swim from shore, the fun part is that once on board can row or motor combo to shore to add whatever needed for that outing, just reverse the order when returning. It's a real blessed beach, no waves, rocks, barnacles, boating relaxation at its max..

Let's wait for OP plans, ideas regarding his specific beach issue.-

Happy Boating

missin_maine

Recruit
Thanks everyone - in answer to questions over the last 36 hours:

> What's the distance from house to shore, is it possible to transport any combo with attached transom wheels easily and have it permanently inflated at house.

I'd say about a quarter mile (big property)..it's fields most of the way, and I could pull something behind my jeep or gator, but to get down to the beach it's about 10 steps down some wooden stairs. it's hard to drive or tow something down there, or push/pull it on transom wheels. This is why I was hoping for some solution where I could keep it down on the beach most of the time in the summer. I love the idea that I could go for a short walk and hop into an inflatable or swim out to one or something.

> Is it possible to clear rocks to make a straight seashore path to open waters, install a deep anchoring point front of house and have combo moored there throughout the day ?

The rock is ledge, that stuff you see on the Maine coast...it all feels like one big piece. I don't think legally I could blast it or cut into it.

As for anchoring: I would love to have it moored out front...although that brings another issue up about anchorage in totally open waters. It isn't a protected bay/cove. I don't know what works/doesn't, since I've never owned a boat other than a pair of jet skis, and I've never anchored anything. This is all very new to me.

> What about having a pier/dock built out over the shallow area?

Hmm, I don't think it would be allowed - no one in the town has one, including people on more protected waters. I don't know if it's a town thing...but regardless, if I could do something, it's not the kind of thing I've seen much of in the state on open water. Only in protected areas.

It really seems like, based on all this feedback, the answer will be that there's no way for me to launch from my property. This sounds very interesting to me though:

> Installed a 5 meter deep anchor point 50 meters from shore it's a 100 kilo concrete square block, with middle chain & round upper medium size float to moor combo there while remaining at location.

Perhaps I can do this... launch the inflatable via trailer at nearby boat launch, and pull it up out front and park at such a thing. Hmm!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If house to beach would be plain flat would be other story, those ten steps screws the Sib functional transportability. If boat launch is near, launch from there and moor Sib on a heavy concrete block at a prudent distance from waves, the issue that gets tricky is how to get there, walking at low tide, swiming at high one, putting things into boat, up more boaters, you name it.

It it's too complicated get onto your combo, motor to launching point, pick boaters and gear along for that outing, reverse procedure when finish. Will need to monitor water behaviour really well throughout the day including when wavy as to set a safe anchoring point at proper shore distance.

Once you have figured it out, while having a good deep and heavy mooring point, doesn't matter if its open or close waters nor which size Sib/Rib/HP outboard you go after as will be motored to launching point, put on a trailer and back home. How safe would be to leave combo properly moored at house front while at use ?

Happy Boating