Aluminum floor problems

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the aluminum floor is held together with pot rivets on the bottom of my Achilles. Everywhere the rivets touches is causing chaffing. They are just not smooth enough. Very disappointing. I even had a hole where the floor presses on the transom last month. I installed a dowel rod in the channel so it would press on that instead of the c channel. I have only had this boat now for 6 months now and this will be the 4th warranty repair. It would appear that a smooth wood floor would last much longer than an aluminum floor.

Attachments

• photo239540.jpg
    photo239540.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo239541.jpg
    photo239541.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This is the downing rod I installed in the channel to protect the hypalon on the transom.

Attachments

• photo239542.jpg
    photo239542.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 0

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

You can see where my dealer added a thick rub strip on the transom. I'm just getting tired of bugging my dealer with problems on my boat due to a poor design by Achilles.

Attachments

• photo239543.jpg
    photo239543.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Those rivets looks excesively tall compred to other flatter ones seen on other inflatables, are they abrading side hull fabric ? could tape the full extension of ech floor under rail to protect hull's fabric with thick electrical, duct tape strips. Used to glue at lower transom a long fabric strip running the full rear floor width, that way rear alu panel floor rubbed against it and not against transom's lower fabric.

Happy Boating

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cutting into the bottom floor. The hole is all the way through. I almost feel like achilles owes me a new boat because i cant even use there design without puncturing the floor. The floor will have to be reinforced around where the rivets touch the hypalon floor and the rivets will have to be covered with some sort of tape to prevent future damage. The hypalon is super thin on this model and i plan on using the airfloor that i purchased from now on. No abbrassion from rubber to rubber contact.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you cover the riveted rails with long stripes of proper peel and stick material will solve those abrading issues. The issues about small-medium Hypalon inflatables is that in oder to have an attractive purchase price, are usually made out of thin Hypalon fabrics, much less than standrd 0.9 mm fabrics for PVC inflatables.

Happy Boating