Seats in a inflatable

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been messing with the Saturn Boats to go seat frame for two seasons now. Never seems to in the right place carring different loads, and with my size the seat wasn't all that comfortable. So I took the whole set up out. What a difference I can move around easily and are more comfortable on the floor sitting on a square life preserver. One thing I noticed there was more rolling movement on the air floor going to plane without the seat frame. Going to put plywood over the frame and put some padding and carpet on it. Should reduce the rolling floor and make it even more comfortable.

Attachments

• photo224433.jpg
    photo224433.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I got a very good,comfortable boat seat and mounted it to my aluminum bench seat with a standard swivel mount. The only extra step I had to do was add a couple of sheet metal screws to where the bench seat connects to the boat to insure the setup does not slide backwards while accelerating. It works for me and I'm very happy with it.20150409_190239 (2).JPG20150322_081539.jpg

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I got a very good,comfortable boat seat and mounted it to my aluminum bench seat with a standard swivel mount. The only extra step I had to do was add a couple of sheet metal screws to where the bench seat connects to the boat to insure the setup does not slide backwards while accelerating. It works for me and I'm very happy with it.

Love your setup man... Do you a pic of the whole thing?

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer

A walk around of the boat. If you ment a set up of the seat no but I could do that if you wanted.

mrdrh99

S.W.E.E.T! Man.... That's awesome.... How fast will she run?

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Well here's the story on that. I was only able to get it in the water one time last summer. I had accidentally damaged the forward gear so it was making a noise. It wasn't bad at idle so I took off hoping to make a wot run but I could only get it up to about 3200 rpm before the noise got to bad. I decided not to push it and do more damage so I headed in and put it back on the trailer. I forgot to set up my gps so I didn't know how fast I had it going. Even so from idle to 3200 rpm it got up and got there fast. My service manual has an estimated speed with the 15 in pitch prop that I'm running at 35 mph. From how it was moving out I would not be surprised if it was able to do that. I'll have to wait a little bit before I'll be able to find out for sure because right now I'm focusing on getting my other boat in the water. All I have to do on that one is clean and rebuild one carb then get it registered.

I made a video of my Mercury at idle during the summer when I was trying everything I could think of to get my idle down from 2000 rpm to 850 where it needed to be before I could shift into gear. It took me a good part of the summer before I was successful. What I did that finally fixed it was I took apart the carb and soaked it in Yamaha carb cleaner for 8 hrs. I had already rebuilt then cleaned the carb two times before I did the Yamaha thing. I'll post the video here in case you would like to see it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
And mostly unrelated to Chopperbills topic.

Stay on topic fellas.

Got the new setup in yet Chopper?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You guys coud install a fiberglass seat with locker and cushion seat on any wooden, alum deck Sib for tiller driving. On inflatable decks will need to be glued on top, air deck must be max top inflated so seat rocks the least on top air deck. Butt cushion and storage is a must have for long trips...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

ronaldj

Been messing with the Saturn Boats to go seat frame for two seasons now. Never seems to in the right place carring different loads, and with my size the seat wasn't all that comfortable. So I took the whole set up out. What a difference I can move around easily and are more comfortable on the floor sitting on a square life preserver. One thing I noticed there was more rolling movement on the air floor going to plane without the seat frame. Going to put plywood over the frame and put some padding and carpet on it. Should reduce the rolling floor and make it even more comfortable.

Chopper ill
I ran a similar setup.
I find that putting the seat on a cooler works better
There is less flex of the seat
Not t mention that the seat pedestals are not really made for doing more that 5knots

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This is the comfy way to go boating if market available...

Sea Rider 1.JPG

Sea Rider 2.JPG

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's a centrer console driving seat, as like tiller driving just bought the seat, will need to be height modify as the height is for a Sib and I have a Rib which needs to be much taller, won't see a thing up front is used that way, Was imported from Korea, $ 120 + shipping + local taxes.

Happy Boating

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a centrer console driving seat, as like tiller driving just bought the seat, will need to be height modify as the height is for a Sib and I have a Rib which needs to be much taller, won't see a thing up front is used that way, Was imported from Korea, $ 120 + shipping + local taxes.

Happy Boating

Hi Sea Rider,
Thanks for the quick response/reply!
I really like the concept and am still debating on it or going with the basic swivel/pedestal seats.
Thanks again for your quick response. You are greatly appreciated!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You're welcome, don't have experience with pedestal seats, assume are very limited compared to sib/rib driving seats, the plus is that you have huge storage space as well, could hide fuel tank inside and lots of gadgets while driving cushioned seated. Defender has lots of accesories for sibs & ribs, check with them, Remember having seen those on their web page.

BTY in which inflatable model do you plan installing a driving/pedestal seat ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
When I was trying to come up with a seat that would work for me I considered a cooler seat with a cushion on top. You can go with the more expensive model with the thick cushion or a less expensive cooler then purchase the thinner pad separately. If I had the room I was thinking I would mount it with the cooler ends facing front and back so that I would straddle it rather than seating in the more common chair like fashion.One thing I liked about the cooler seat was it would be easy to bolt down to the floor. If that sounds like something you want to consider you can find everything you need here on Iboats.

http://www.iboats.com/Talon-48-qt-I...960315--session_id.244955529--view_id.1368380