My DMV experience and tips for others

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
I finally got my Intex Mariner 4 registered today. Here are a few tips (for California DMV) to help others from the heartache.

-Make an appointment. I made mine 2 weeks ago because I wanted an early morning appointment. Only 2 people were ahead of me in the appointment line to get their number. Once i received my number, walked to a chair, my number was called...basically no wait.

-Be patient (I know, it's hard). Not every DMV employee knows how to register an inflatable boat that has never been registered before. The clerk that was helping me, had to go ask a supervisor what to do. She basically told me she never had one of these before.

-Download the application off of the DMV site for registration number/certificate of ownership for a vessel and fill out it prior to your appointment. It'll save a lot of time.

-Have the certificate of manufacture origin. I was able to download mine from the web site. This part is key...if asked how it was obtained, advise them that this certificate was SENT to you. I made a mistake of saying that this was a copy (not sure why I said that). The clerk advised that they only want originals, not copies. I clarified myself stating, I went to the manufacture site, input my hull number information and this was the certificate that was generated. She was OK with that. Again...only if they ask do you say, this certificate was sent to you. I wouldn't even say, "I printed this from the site".

Hopes this helps others. All together, my time there was 15-20 minutes max.

Brusac

Seaman
Just move to Wisconsin. I did mine on-line and they mailed me my registration. I haven't seen the inside of a DMV since the first time I went to get my drivers license after moving here 11 years ago.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
Just move to Wisconsin. I did mine on-line and they mailed me my registration. I haven't seen the inside of a DMV since the first time I went to get my drivers license after moving here 11 years ago.

The only options we have to register a boat for the first time is either visiting the office or mailing in an application and who knows how long the mail process will be. Although, I can renew my registration online.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The only options we have to register a boat for the first time is either visiting the office or mailing in an application and who knows how long the mail process will be. Although, I can renew my registration online.
Yep California is a pain. Sometimes you can register boats at AAA but if it's new or coming in from out of state, they normally won't do it for you.

Neuner

Seaman
Texas is as well but I think it may be something to do with being on coastal shores. Every state that I've heard of being difficult, it appears this is a factor. Need to register with Texas Parks and Wildlife in lieu of the DMV but very similar process.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I went to the Texas Parks and Rec office in San Antonio. The lady that did the work was very helpful and took care of everything. She put in the extra effort to get it all done quickly even though the boat came from NY state and my motor came from Wisconsin. All I did was hand her my papers and she did everything else. I told her she was the best government clerk I ever had to deal with and her boss should give her a raise!

Neuner

Seaman
Yes, the admin is nice and helpful but the documentation, fees and regulations are more excessive than inland States.

I educated her about inflatable boats otherwise you would have had some difficulty as well trying to convince her you weren't trying to register a toy...... :)

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I didn't have to explain anything about the boat. Maybe it's because I have a 14 ft boat that can use a 40 hp motor I don't know but my registration says it's an inflatable. Yes the fees are to high but as to the regs I've never had a problem.

Neuner

Seaman
I didn't have to explain anything about the boat. Maybe it's because I have a 14 ft boat that can use a 40 hp motor I don't know but my registration says it's an inflatable. Yes the fees are to high but as to the regs I've never had a problem.

That's what I was saying, I did it for you :). Btw, mine is a 15'.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got my Mariner4 registered two days ago in Indiana at the BMV. First off, if the value is under $3000 and not motor driven (Electric Trolling counts as motor) you do not need to register or title. If it is motorized (the Mariner4) then all you need is registration done. When I went in the lady was having a hard time registering mine because the computer kept saying it has to be titled first (which according to Indiana Code it does not). So after 15 minutes of her fighting with the computer I told her to go ahead and title it too (I guess a good idea to show ownership).

The next problem occurred when she tried to title it. The certificate of orgin (the one that you get online) does not have a date of manufacture or build on it. This is needed for the title and tax purposes. So after arguing for 20 minutes and explaining that I was trying to make it easy on her by titling also that Indiana Code says it does Not need title I left. I went back 2 hours later, got a different clerk and showed her my Cert. of Orgin. and receipt, I told her I want to just register it. After showing my driver's lic. and paperwork, 10 minutes later I was registered LOL.

Moral of story: Know your state laws/codes before going in to the BMV/DMV (or whatever it is called in your state) because they do not know what to do with these types of boats. So be prepared to educate them.