Non-slip, Rubber or Cushioned Flooring?

Neuner

Seaman
Like most, we currently have an aluminum flooring system in our SIB. We don't like how our coolers, crates and other equipment slides around some after it gets wet. It can also be slick for the young kids. Been thinking and researching various ideas for a system that would be low in weight, non-slip, able to stay in place and easy to load or unload. Would also be beneficial if it had some type cushioning properties to it so it wouldn't be so hard on the knees.

I've seen a commercial inflatable along the beach that gave tours which had a weave pattern rubber flooring system laid on top but every time I've looked into them, they've been heavy.

We tried a 3/8" lightweight foam system that provided some cushioning and worked great until it got water under it and moved around.

I've most recently looked into something like a smoother, rubber like bedliner product like Herculiner or Grizzly Grip. Found quite a few aluminum jon boat owners doing this for their hunting boats and loving it. Duplicolor bedliner appeals to them because of its smoother look and grippy feel.

Anyone using some kind of flooring system or bedliner on their aluminum or wood floor deck? If so, what is it and how do you like it?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will need a carpet like material that doesn't allow water inside its pores, flexible to be trimmed following floor contour, non slip, fast to remove, keep in mind that if material is left for long time periods will form mould, fungus under it.

Happy Boating

Trac-Mat is a great option if you want an easy install (buy it by the roll, peel and stick) and comes in a variety of color options, will not hold water and easy to clean. May peel over time if not installed correctly. I like non-skid personally. Prime and paint for a tough coarse surface. Prep, prime, and paint are critical for a long lasting coat so don't rush. Not very comfortable, but it works.

Neuner

Seaman
Anyone seen, used or heard of DECKadence Flooring? Looks like this might be the key for me but not sure how well it would stay in place if cut to fit the entire floor area and just laid on top.

Light weight, breatheable, cushioning, UV + bleach resistant and washable.

http://www.jimsmarineflooring.com/de...arine_flooring

Commodore - I tried searching for the product you mentioned but did not find anything. Do you have a link? Not sure if the spelling is correct.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sprayed in bed liner type material would be a good choice IMO. I don't think it will be too heavy and it does offer superior non-slip surface as well. And it most certainly will not peel out....ever. It comes in a variety of colors and wont hold water either. Sounds like a good choice to me. But again, that is only my opinion.

Neuner

Seaman
Sprayed in bed liner type material would be a good choice IMO. I don't think it will be too heavy and it does offer superior non-slip surface as well. And it most certainly will not peel out....ever. It comes in a variety of colors and wont hold water either. Sounds like a good choice to me. But again, that is only my opinion.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I'm strongly leaning that way however the wife recently voiced a desire for something with a little cushioning which led me down some of these other paths. Our kids frequently like to kneel or sit on the floor as we traverse along and the hard floor gets tiring.

Trying to find something that satisfies all of the requirements and yet is cost effective for a SIB has been difficult. I would be willing to pay a little more if it helps make everyone happy. I'm also looking at the SeaDek Foam Sheets that are sold by iBoats that are applied with it's adhesive backing. (http://www.iboats.com/Large-Sheet-5...0159934--session_id.313894518--view_id.686180). I would cut and apply these to each flat section of the individual aluminum panels for ease of removal. Not sure how well they stick so my concern is that the edges may pull up after a while and maybe create a trip hazard? Although on the pricier side, if it stayed in place extremely well, it may have everything we're looking for?

Last edited:

Neuner

Seaman
Anyone seen, used or heard of DECKadence Flooring?

Got a quote back from Deckadence and it's about $1,000 with S&H, so that it is out.....

Aqua Fushion Mat is about half the cost but still too much for right now.

SeaDek would require the purchase of two large sheets for a total of $350. I do like what I've seen but am holding off for now. Might be able to get away with only one sheet if I don't cover part of the last panel near the engine where grip and comfort aren't as critical. I have Hydro-Turf sending me some samples and would be about half of that cost with the 3M adhesive. It has mixed reviews but for the savings vs performance, I'm willing to give it a try.

Unfortunately the SeaDek or Hydro-Turf options I'm looking to get don't have the cushion properties of the Deckadence or Aqua Fushion but they at least give great grip when wet and will help with the heat and glare of the sun off of the aluminum.

Last edited:

Neuner

Seaman
Received samples from Hydro-Turf (left - black) and AquaFusion Carpet (right - titanium).

The turf is extremely light weight, especially compared to the carpet. The carpet has a denser, heavier rubber backing sheet but the turf is made from one solid piece with the pattern cut in. The carpet appears to be softer at first but after you mash down on it a bit, it's easier to see that the turf provides more cushion.

After receiving the quotes, the Hydro-Turf was half the price of the AquaFushion. At the time I viewed the site, HT had 'B' stock available so I ordered two sheets of the dark grey molded diamond 40" by 62" which was about another 40-50% off. Anxious to receive it and put it in.

IMG_20160223_130407a1000.jpg

IMG_20160223_130653a1000.jpg

IMG_20160223_130717a1000.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160223_130653a1000.jpg
    IMG_20160223_130653a1000.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I bought indoor outdoor carpet from Lowes, but mine is on an air floor. Holding up well and never come untucked. Best part it was less than $20! Not cushioned but a lot better than being right on the aluminum. We carry a couple of those square life preservers to sit on.

Attachments

• photo201194.jpg
    photo201194.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Get the SeaDek flooring. I have it in my 14 ft boat,does everything you want it to do and I only had to use one sheet. Not only does it work great but it looks cool to. I have plastic floorboards and was concerned with how well it would stick to it...it's holding perfectly.0429151825 (2).JPG20150409_190239 (2).JPG 20150420_164431 (2).JPG 20150420_161422 (2).JPG