12 ft achillies rib 1996, 8hp or 25 hp ?

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi, i am looking at a 12ft a chillies rib, i have a 8hp 2 stoke tohatsu that i run on my 10"8 sib, it seems the rib might weigh double as a boat, do you think a 8hp will plane two people for now, i can get it cheap without the 25hp that is on it but i am considering getting the bigger motor too. what do you think of a set up like will it be a big improvement to have a 12 ft rib compared to the 11 ft sib ?i think having the 25 hp mariner 2stroke might allow me to pile in a few friends and get planning speed still.

i wonder if i will be able to life the 25hp off myself and also have launching wheels on the 12 ft rib to drag it up or down beach with tidesor is to heavy

Last edited:

Igyjastabay

Seaman
The 8hp should be able to plane you out fine with 2 people on a 12' Rib, of course it depends on how much the two people weigh. With 2 people a SIB would be near impossible with my experience. You may need weight the bow abit but you should be able to get up. 8hp 2 strokes have quite abit of torque. With regards to the 25hp, they are heavy (125lbs or so), but you would never have any planning issues.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Although the Rib is only 1 foot larger should plane faster due to less hull drag to overcome faster. A 25 Hp is too much HP and heavy for a 12 footer, usually for + 4 meter boats. You could bump that 8 into a 9.8 HP, need a carb swap. Later could maximize prop to take the max ponies out. Much preffer than an 8 HP with standard factory delivered prop. How heavy will those 2 boaters be ? Do you have experience overpowering inflatables not suitable for larger HP OB's ?

Happy Boating

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi, ya well the 8hp performs great with 2 people on my little a chillies wood floor sib, it's pretty ideal with two people, the problem being when i want to bring another couple of people not only is the boat cramped but there is no power. I usually take these boats about 3kms across to a small island with nice beaches although i would expand my range. I had this same motor on a 8ft apex rib, it was awesome fast with me alone, i couldn't plane two people because of the squatting i guess it's called it was just to short of a boat with that little motor to get it up on a plane most times, the rare times it got up it was ok.. it was amazing how much better the longer sib performed with this smaller motor i guess the sib is already starting out near the top of the water. So my sib weights about 100lbs i think, this rib is one foot longer but of course is over 200lbs but if it is going to perform as good as my sib or even have a higher top speed with two people, i would pass on the motor part until i can find something like a 15 or 20 hp two stroke.. my end goal is 4 people packed into the rib and up on a plane going around 27kms hr, that would be a nice improvement for me, that and i am thinking the 12 ft rib would be a safer boat as i am in semi protected waters on the east side of vancouver island but it is still the ocean and it does pick up, but not nearly as much as people think and most days i go out it is like glass with predictable winds.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
While you find a 15-20 HP engine, check how much a 9.8 carb and one less pitch from actual in use prop would cost, will transport much better a gang of 4 on that larger Rib and OB to work with less stress & lug issues.

Happy Boating

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would go with the 25hp and be done with it. It's Rib so it's going to be trailered So why not go with the bigger engine. The 8hp will be a turd. The 25 will put a smile on your face. Don't chince on power.

Igyjastabay

Seaman
25hp is fine if the majority of the time you have 2 or more, if otherwise I would go for a good reliable 15hp. I have a 12' RIb with a 15hp and its plenty fast for me, actually squirly at WOT at times. 15hp gets me up no problem with two 215lbs guys and gear and I will only loose maybe 2 mph top speed.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you would like to go boating with 4 up the 25 HP will power much nicely the larger Rib and added weight, if with less passengers be gentle on the trottle. What do you plan doing with the Sib and 8 HP OB, keep both combos ? Need a proper Rib trailer if plan for the 25 HP OB to live permanently at back transom.

Check if in your boating area you're not going against the local law by overpowering a boat with a larger OB than what tech plate recommends if happens to be less than 25 HP. Sometimes it's not the more fun you can get from a larger OB, it's against the law...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Neuner

Seaman
I would go with the 25hp and be done with it. It's Rib so it's going to be trailered So why not go with the bigger engine. The 8hp will be a turd. The 25 will put a smile on your face. Don't chince on power.

x2!!