need ideas for a first RIB and concerned about buyer's remorse

bladez

Cadet
hey everyone, i found this message board and want to hear from people who have inflatables. in the past five years, I've gotten boat fever in the Spring and this is the first time I've had a well paying job, so i can afford a 3-4k boat. i grew up around Zodiac Pro inflatable boats and wanted one since i was a child. But, I live in a wasteland where the only options are manmade reservoirs. i am on the fence about a couple of things that will soon become apparent

I've looked at air and wood floor boats in the past, but am focusing on RIB's now. i had a big sedan that would have accommodated a wood floor, but now i have a mustang, so i'll have to tow.. I'm looking at 310 and 350 RIBs..

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--rib-350-double-floor-pvc-inflatable-boat-gray--13061007

i like this boat (above) and different 310 RIB's.

My dream boat is a 340 Zodiac (or bigger) with a stand-up console, but those are closer to 10-20K, and i couldn't afford it till next year, that is if I keep my job, Therefore, I am looking for a cheaper boat, but one that can be improved. For example, the linked 350 can accommodate a standup console. As far as the engine goes, I would buy a cheap one, and if I still like boating, upgrade the engine next year. this summer is to explore have fun!

are you still with me? good. here are my questions in the areas of choice of boat, motor, storage, and inflatable owners' feedback:

am i on the right track? what do you think of my choices of boats? are there better models?

motors.... any ideas for motors? I was gonna skimp on the motor and get a used 9.9 or 15, sell it, then get a nice one next year

i could still get a wood floor or inflatable and store it in my APT to save money every year on storage, but is it worth it? ....it'd be a pain to assemble and disassemble

the last question.... feedback. I am open to feedback. what do you guys think of these boats? what is the experience like? a part of me is concerned i'd grow tired of the boat. my dad is getting rid of his sea ray, i bought an expensive RC car earlier in the year i regret. how much do you all use yours? i like boats but haven't played on one in years.

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have used a 11ft wood floor and 8hp now for years and love it, although i might upgrade but mostly cause i want to go farther with more people. i think i would rather have my boat safe and sound in the winter inside if i live in in apartment, i wouldn't want to pay storage all winter myself an as you are just getting settled and not even sure you might move away or change jobs, get something cheaper and smaller you can afford, you will be having most of the fun of bigger boat and might feel more relaxed without larger debt or storage fees, you would save a bundle but still have a good set up, that is what i would do, something you can bring up and in the apartment the large part of the year you not using it. No the boat isn't a pain to set up, maybe 20 min but it's boating day, it seems more than worth set up for a day on the water don't worry about that. then upgrade as you can, you might not need or want to.

Igyjastabay

Seaman
I own a SIB and a RIB. I consider my RIB the real boat, it handles the ocean much much better. I have a Saturn Minicat and an APEX RIB 12'. I would choose the RIB if you have a place to put it. Mine is on a 15 foot trailer and fits in my garage. Don't be hesitant to purchase a used Hypalon RIB, even if it is 15 years old, they will last 30 years with proper care. Hypalon is an incredible material. My RIB is 16 years old and hasn't had one leak, not one. The stand up console is nice, but it takes up space on a small boat like mine, sitting on a cooler is just fine with me. I have a 15hp Honda on mine and it scoots about 25-27mph, plenty of power for me. Different companies offer different sized tubes, my APEX has 19.5" tubes which is the largest offered for my length of boat and I like it because I feel like I am sitting deeper in the boat and it baffles the waves better than a 17" tube. Keep in mind some companies manufacture "cone" tubes at the stern and others produce the round tubes at the stern. Cone tubes allow the manufacturer to exaggerate the length of the boat because they extend out more than rounded tubes, also rounded tubes offer more buoyancy for a larger engine.

Neuner

Seaman
Get the nicer engine now. Even if you don't enjoy the first year, which is doubtful, it will have better re-sale value.

If you buy a mediocre engine to save cost, it may be a lemon and a first year of frustration, repairs and possibly leaving you stranded and having to row back or get a tow. It will be harder to sell when the time comes and you'll wish you would have put that money towards something better. There is nothing wrong with getting something older or a fixer-upper, just know what you are getting into and the additional maintenance that is required before moving forward.

You don't get your money back when you sell and you will take a hit so determine if that 'hit' will be well worth the experience you have with it.

The only alternative for us to get out on the water other than buying a boat is to rent a crappy one at $400 for every four-hour minimum at the local marina. We enjoyed taking ours out immensely and in the first year of owning our boat, it's almost already paid for itself when compared to rentals. In addition, we were able to take ours out to other lakes, rivers and even the ocean and bays. So much better than any dolphin tour we ever took.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If I would have a proper towing vehicle, a close safe place, garage to shelter my combo, would go straight for a RIB & trailer, a 350 is rather small, will feeel crampy if with more than 2 up. Ideal a 380 or 400 meter Rib. Mercurymarine has nice affordable Ribs, check their Oceanrunner models, the only issue is that don't have those 2 mentioned sizes. Personally would go for the 430 and at least a 20 HP OB if boating with max 3 up. You have PVC & Hapalon fabrics to choose from. Latter can add a central console.

Happy Boating

bladez

Cadet
thank you, all, for the responses. :)

this is a lot for me to think about. I've thought about the collapsible idea a lot and i like the peace of mind of keeping the boat inside. i think, however, i would use the boat more if i could tow it straight to the lake. considering the different models and prices, there is no obvious answer, but rather pros and cons of each one.

the Oceanrunner appears to be a good intermediate option. It looks like I can get a 430 for $3500 k that i can pay upfront. i like that it can accommodate up to a 40 AND i can add a console. do you think I can tow a waterskier with a 430? what kind of performance do you get with the 20?

The ones of the next realm have 60-90 HP motors and range from 15-17 feet at double the price, or triple for the Zodiac yacht line. I will pass on these.

the motors are not cheap! I've been looking into financing options for the good ones. do outboards go on sale?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You can pull a skiier with a 430 Rib, for that a larger OB as a 30 HP would work much better, provided that only driver and skiier are riding on that combo. One thing is boating with max 3-4 and a 20 HP, other skiing with it as will need a faster hole shot. Will depend too on how heavy that skier is, you can always maximize prop pitch to pull your wot revs towards max rpm range, will need an induction tach for that one. Check if you can get a 2 strokes Yam, Tohatsu, Suzuki 25/30 HP OB in mint cond, assuming it's possible to use 2 strokes on your boating location.

With me alone on my 450 rib which weights double to a 430 Ocenarunner can achieve near 22 knots at wot with a 2 stroke Tohatsu 18 HP OB, definitely more with a 20 OB and much lighter Rib.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

bladez

Cadet
thank you. yesterday i learned i may go to graduate school for a phd for me to assist in the great reversal of consciousness, so i can't spend as much as i thought. what is easier for assembly or disassembly- air or wood floor? are there any superior boats of the cheap 310 range (i.e., 310 zodiac, saturn)? i still do not want to scrap the idea entirely, and if i wake up early enough once or twice a week, i can still explore the lake

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Air decks and alum or wooden panel floors, both have their own issues. At third assembly/disassembling process will surely give up, much worst if solol, takes time, lot more if being a newby. Ideal keep it inflated or on a trailer. Air decks although are much more friendly to assemble & inflate have less top water performance as opposed to alum or wooden panel decks. Lacks rigidity, need to be constantly air topped.

If you have made your mind already to count with a 310 inflatable dinghy would advise to go tad larger 320-330-340, good for 2 and whatever you want to take including a dog. Not suitable for more boaters as will be cramped for far away boating.

Happy Boating

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would say try to find a good used 15 or 9.9 2stroke engine first. That will be the hard part. If you want a cheap sib the inflatable boat center has a 300 sib with air floor for 599 made by Cardinal.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A tad larger inflatable which has less hull drag than a 300 mtr sib is much easier to push/plane with a 9.9 HP OB. A 300 Mtr sib which is small will bore you soon. Invest wise on first purchase, a larger inflatable with 2 strokes 15 HP OB is the way to go, are very affordable these days

Happy Boating

bladez

Cadet
i found a 350 west marine RIB that comes with a 2 stroke 9.9 mercury i am considering. it is a good price- $2,000. i would have to buy a trailer for it, but storage is cheaper than expected- only $34 a month, so i can afford it... the only thing i'm considering now before i buy is would i continue to use to boat, or use it a few times then tire of it?

does riding on the tube using a tiller handle feel uncomfortable after time?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you like water sports, you'll love boating. It's something as you like it or not..is it possible to get a larger 15 HP OB with that 350 ? If that 9.9 Merc happens to be a rebadged Tohatsu model you could bump it later into a 15 HP for peanuts cost. Comfort riding sitting on tubes will depend on how rigid you inflate tubes, Ribs doesn't need to be top inflated as opposed to Sibs as hull rides higher on water. Can seat inside deck next to tiller or on transversal seat if one is provided.

Happy Boating