1980's Sevylor "Le Boat"

FargoJoe

Cadet
Bought this boat on craigslist, it's been a bit of a puzzle. She runs, but needs parts that are tough to find! 12647066_670420679766465_4124080732558275911_n.jpg

Neuner

Seaman
Is that picture taken in Rockport? Looks like the place a friend of mine stays at during the summer.

FargoJoe

Cadet
What's the question, Joe? :confused:

Well, I've got several really. I'll just start firing away!

Why did Sevylor quit making these?
Where can I find a replacement oarlock? I've seen some on a couple sites but all say "no longer in stock."
Did that floor come factory-designed?
Does anyone in the community recognize this style of inflatable?

Ok, that's it for now! Thx

FargoJoe

Cadet
Is that picture taken in Rockport? Looks like the place a friend of mine stays at during the summer.

Actually taken at South Padre Island, TX. There is Rockport, TX i think near Corpus Christie

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sevylor was the cheap affordable inflatables of their high prized Zodiac brand. The brand was sold years back to the Chines, those models were discontinued. The one you have was the high end of Sevylor inflatables as the low end were just for rowing and putting around.

You could glue any other type of row lock, both should be same to row even....If with no built in pressure monitoring gauge, don't over inflate it. If plan hanging an engine a max 2 stroke 5 HP would be suitable. A larger and hevier one will surely rock too much the flimsy transom.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

FargoJoe

Cadet
Thanks Sea Rider! That's pretty much what I was wondering. This one does seem like a higher end model. It has the "sevtest" inflation gauge on the side, so I can tell the right pressure for the main chambers.

The transom did come with a couple of extra steel rods that brace the transom to the wood floor, but have since disappeared. I could probably fashion something, or have a machine shop cut and bend some new ones for me. Last time I just used a rope, but that only stabilizes in one direction. It does say on the side that it can accept up to a 7 horse, but I found a good deal on a 5hp Coleman which I've used a couple times. I'm thinking I should get those support brackets redone before I try again. ...and I think I've got a leak somewhere that is affecting stability.

It's a pretty neat lil boat, so I figure it's worth the time and effort to get her into tip-top shape. I appreciate the help!

FargoJoe

Cadet
Ah, you're in the valley. Even better! Yes, Rockport is near CC.

But now I'm in Orange County, CA. The weather's a bit nicer here, sun is hotter and less windy! And the girls are a little closer to my age ;)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
At that time was about to purchase one, but opted for the Sevylor Caravelle K-86, didn't have a built in transon, had a removable engine mount attached with side rods to rear side of boat. Max 3.5 HP was allowed. A nice sail kit was also available. Yours is a nice entry level size sib, put it in good shape and working order and have fun.

The transom's rod/ brackets are for supporting purposes, that PCV fabric is a non supported one, has no middle fabric sandwiched between upper and lower fabrics that gives more transom rigidity while tubes are top inflated to max pressure indicated by built in pressure gauge. Girls closer to youe age will be most pleased with that nice watercraft.

Happy Boating

FargoJoe

Cadet
Right on fellas! Just got my new boston valve in the mail. I've got a couple things to scratch from the to-do list, but hope to have her sealed up, bracketed, and floating again soon!