Let's talk air pumps.. which do you use to blow up your boats?

Jiggyjay

Seaman
To those who setup and take down every time you use your boat what kind of air pump do you use? I currently use a 12volt intro air mattress pump That pumps up my mariner 4 to about 80% then use the manual pump that came with my mariner to top it off. Its a good setup since I don't have to do much pumping bit looking into upgrading this upcoming summer. I was looking at the air head pump which is about $40 on amazon.

Brusac

Seaman
I have a Ryobi dual inflator that I use to inflate and deflate my M4. I can fully inflate the M4 without needing to top it off with the manual pump. It cost about $30 at Home Depot but it does not come with a battery. It works for me since I have several other Ryobi power tools I already had the batteries for it. It would not make sense to buy it if you don't already use Ryobi tools though since the battery costs more than the pump. However if you already have Ryobi tools or are looking to get a new power drill I highly recommend it.

https://www.ryobitools.com/power-tools/products/details/458

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Ooh I like that pump brusac.. I look to see if black and Decker offered the same pump since I have B&D drill and batteries and looks like they do but it's only battery 120 volt or 12 volt power no batteries. How long does it take you to inflate each tube?

Brusac

Seaman
If I am setting up the boat as stock then I can have the entire boat ready to go in under 10 minutes (that includes putting in the slat floor, assembling oars and blowing up seats). Normally I put in my mods with the floor and fishing seat so it takes longer. I have't times the inflation of the tubes but I would be surprised if it took more than 3 minutes to fully inflate all tubes, and that is with a weak battery. If I have a freshly charged battery they inflate pretty fast. Next time I take it out to work on a mod I will time it. Won't see water again until spring though being that I am in Wisconsin.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use a 6 gallon Harbor freight pancake compressor. I fill it about 70-80% (YES I AM CAREFULL) then top it off with the hand pump. If no electricity I have an inverter to go off the truck batteries.

Neuner

Seaman
Got one that the manufacturer of my boat sells. Looks to be a generic GP-80 and looks like this; http://www.aquamarineboat.com/index....de=prod&id=123. Was offered at $50.

Only used it for one year, inflated about 12 times and really like it so far. Has dual compressor so it runs the high-volume pump first and then automatically kicks over to a higher pressure pump. Cuts off at the designated pressure you set prior which is great since I can go and get other things ready while it runs and not have to monitor it. Dial and pressure is off some so I used my gauge to write a conversion with a sharpie on the outside. Use the hand pump that came with the boat if I need to fine tune and take with us in the boat.

I have a spare car battery that I use with it and re-charge it with a trickler when we're done.

Last edited:

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

It takes me longer to pull the boat and engine and gear out of my car than it does to inflate my boat with this setup. I first use the Coleman to blow up all chambers then I top off with the bravo. It has auto shut off that goes up to 13 psi. I power it with a 12v 12 amp battery that I bought off eBay for 40 bucks. I also wired up the cigarette lighter to my battery for the bravo pump. It also keeps my phone charged so I can jam my tunes all day Bluetooth to my jawbone big jambox. I can usually go about 5 times out beforeI need to recharge my battery. This setup takes me about 4-5 mins to inflate my boat. I have had the bravo pump now for about 3 years. It's a well built product and worth every penny.

Attachments

• photo236940.jpg
    photo236940.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 2

BobJames

Recruit
Personally I use an old and beat up cheap dual action hand pump, you know those yellow ones that cost about $10. I sometimes wonder how it's possible that it still works... The tubing is all messed, has kinks here and there, had to tape it so it wouldn't leak any air, but it works. 12636883_10154008007570992_1643994981_o.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
As long the interior tube is smooth should work fine for years to come. Is that model the one that has 2 interior hard rubber plastic rings on piston head that accounts for inflating continuously at both up-down hand strokes ? If so, both rings should be lubbed, when dry they tend to come appart from piston, has it ever happened to you ?

Happy Boating

FargoJoe

Cadet
Personally I use an old and beat up cheap dual action hand pump, you know those yellow ones that cost about $10. I sometimes wonder how it's possible that it still works... The tubing is all messed, has kinks here and there, had to tape it so it wouldn't leak any air, but it works.

I've got the same one! Takes a little longer, but still shorter than a trip to the gym. I'm not much for gyms anyway, seems like wasted energy. Why pump iron when you could be pumping up a boat!?

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up the Coleman Quick pump 12V at walmart. Hooked it up to my cigarette lighter and it took 5mins 37secs to inflate 4 chambers...not bad

Brusac

Seaman
Finally pulled my M4 out and inflated it as part of my pre-season checkout. My Ryobi pump with a 1/2 charged battery had it fully inflated (all 4 chambers and the keel) in under 4 minutes. It'll go quicker with a fully charged battery. Now I get to deal with the slow leak in chamber 2, seems to be a little worse now than last year.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used my single action pump to top mine off. Bought a double action and left the other behind. Mistake. Doulble action for tubes and keel are ok, but filling the air floor is a PITA, especially while your on the river and in the boat.

BIGSTARCRAFT

Cadet
Picked up the Ryobi as mentioned by Brusac... Thanks for sharing that! Got a nice new drill as well! What an easy tool to use.. Pop in the battery and take it where it is needed... Inflated my Saturn FK396 yak and SK470 kaboat to about 90% and I just topped off with the hand pump...

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Last year and before I was using a 12 volt High Volume turbo pump (AIRHEAD AHP-12HP)
connected to a tag-a-long marine (trolling motor) battery,
then topping off using one of them double action "yellow" hand pumps to inflate my 365 class chinaSIB.

Picked up a Sevylor / Coleman SUP Pump late last season and was using it to top off my iSUPs
( and full inflation cycles when necessary for portability).

Planning on using the SUP Pump to top off the SIB this up and coming season....