Trolling motor vs. Gas motor

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
I've had my Mariner 4 since Christmas. Haven't had time to take it out yet due to the weather. I've been looking into both used gas motors and different size trolling motors and I can't seem to choose which one. What do you guys have and what made you choose one over the other? Having both is also another possibility too...

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
hello JC. I'd offer this.. gas/vs electric for trolling depends on what water your going out on.... pond, lake, big lake, river?? the best overall choice is gas.. much more power than electric, I bought a 50lb thrust electric, tried it, sent it back, then bought a 2.5 Mercury 4 stroke outboard, there's no comparison. the gas is 3x the power, don't have to worry about lugging a 60lb battery too... that's my thoughts, much more $ yes,, then again, you get what you pay for

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
JC2133, as already stated, it seriously depends on how you plan to use the trolling motor. If you have plans to simply troll down a back or fish a point or work through stumps and flooded over trees, then electric is the "quiet" means for that. If you are trolling large open waters trolling for deeper schooled fish, either can work. If you are using the trolling motor to move from point A to point B, then of course a gas setup will work better. It really comes down to what type trolling/fishing you want to do. Most Bass Fishing setups use electric. But larger open waters with higher winds would be more reasons to go gas. So once you decide, then better suggestions can be offered. JMHO :noidea:

Jiggyjay

Seaman
I had the same dilemma as well and went with a gas motor however there are times that an electric motor would have been beneficial. Heres a list of pros each motor has some of them others have already listed.

Pros on Gas.
-lighter load. I have the Suzuki 2.5hp which is only 30#. A good marine battery weighs double that.
-greater range. Although I don't usually travel a whole lot from where I'm fishing typically a whole 1 liter of gas (max the Suzuki can take ) will last 6-8 hours of trolling. Bring a 1 gallon gas tank with you and that will probably last you a week.
-less clutter- no need to make room for a battery or 2 . I'll usually bring a 1 gallon gas tank when I'm fishing which is pretty much overkill for a day trip.
-more power- although I've never had to go over half throttle with mariner 4 since it really won't go any faster than 6mph.

Pros on electric
-quiet- no noise whatsoever with an electric motor. Although the Suzuki is not as loud as other motors in its class its still noisy. If your looking to be stealthy when fishing or relax while you cruise then go electric.
-Not much maitenenace- other than charging the batteries washing the motor off when put into salt water you don't have to do much with an electric motor.
-cheaper up front cost- bought my zuki $760 brand new shipped. 50 lbs trolling motor with 1 good battery+ charger probably would set you back $400. However in the long run if your having to change your batter every 18-24 months that cost will go up. On gas the operation cost is only how much gas is.
-easier and faster startup. Trolling motor just twist a handle and it's on. With gas you'll need to pull start everytime you want it on. This is especially nice when your trying to stay at 1 spot fishing and don't want to put an anchor down.

Good luck with it.. best thing to do is make a motor mount like desode did in the mariner 4 thread that attaches to your floor. That way you can have both an electric motor and a gas motor! Best of both worlds!

Last edited:

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
My dilemma is that I'd fish multiple bodies of waters. I live right up against a river levee so a gas motor would be better used in the river. Although my son and I like to fish (more often than any) a trout pond that doesn't allow for gas motors, just electric or man power. Gas would get me around in the CA Delta and surrounding sloughs better.

I found a reasonably priced 3.5hp Nissan 2 stroke motor. It may seem like more than the Mariner is capable of. But the weight of it is roughly 30lbs.

Jiggyjay

Seaman
I would go gas and just paddle around when you go to that pond. Paddling around the Mariner 4 isn't too bad just as long as your not paddling against 10+mph. Plus paddling will get ya some exercise! I actually did that this past weekend. Would troll around with my zuki then paddle around as well just to switch things up.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback. I figure for the price of a trolling motor, battery, battery box, misc wires to extend...I'm only a few hundred away from a decent used gas motor.

Is a 41lbs (dry weight) gas motor to much on the Mariner?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If going for a 2 strokes 2.5 HP Merc, Nissan, Tohatsu OB's, go straight for a 3.5 as both have same CC and weights same, much lighter than same 4 strokes brothers Will move weight much better, have better fast displacement speeds and eventually plane that sib faster than a 2.5 HP.

Happy Boating

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like you need a low power cheap electric motor for one service and a gasoline engine for the bulk of your boating.

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Thanks for the feedback. I figure for the price of a trolling motor, battery, battery box, misc wires to extend...I'm only a few hundred away from a decent used gas motor.

Is a 41lbs (dry weight) gas motor to much on the Mariner?

41lbs dry weight is a lot for mariner 4. It will hold it and you'll probably go at the most half throttle before the torque if the motor pushes the tubes and mount down to the water. My zuki is 30# not really sure if that's dry or wet weight and I don't even push mine to half throttle but I'm a wuss! I don't feel like having $760 motor fall into 50 feet of water.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
41lbs dry weight is a lot for mariner 4. It will hold it and you'll probably go at the most half throttle before the torque if the motor pushes the tubes and mount down to the water. My zuki is 30# not really sure if that's dry or wet weight and I don't even push mine to half throttle but I'm a wuss! I don't feel like having $760 motor fall into 50 feet of water.

i just noticed it states 40lbs max for the weight of the motor. So yeah, I'll stay away from that motor.

Also, what is preferred long or short shaft out board motors?

FargoJoe

Cadet
Much like the other guys here, I tried an electric on "Le Boat" and brought it back. On my way south I found a 5-hp Coleman on craigslist for $400. Love it! And then yeah, pull the motor up and paddle when you need to.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Coleman OB's are for non salt water use, check if they have sacrifying anodes at lower tail, rinse and flush OB properly if used on salt waters or expect huge galvanic erosion/corrosion detereoration...

Happy Boating