Inflatable fishing kayak help

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumbs1

Recruit
I bought a Saturn fishing kayak to take with us while camping with our fifth wheel. Anyway took it out for the first time fishing yesterday. I would like to paddle rather than put a trolling motor on it. I found it kinda difficult to paddle. It tracks fine just slow. Can't seem to get any power out the paddle. I am fishing the keys inshore and mostly protected waters. My question is will investing in a better paddle, like maybe a Bending Branches fishing paddle,make much difference? The paddles that come with it are maybe six an a half feet long with the blades just flat with no curve to them at all. They are obviously very short. Will one of those longer fishing paddles work better? Right now I am afraid if I get a tidal flow and a light wind I may not be able to paddle against it.
Thanks for the help

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome rhumbs/

I can't help with any kayak advice. but it will help members in the know if you ID which Saturn kayak you have. I do know some paddles fit different kayaks better than others.

thumbs1

Recruit
I have the Saturn fk 396 Pro Angler Fishing. Kayak 13'. 36" wide benches are on top of the tubes.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Being an inflatable watercraft need to be top air inflated to perform much better or as expected, need top rigidity...

Happy Boating

thumbs1

Recruit
Thanks, Yep may be the problem. I ordered another paddle for fishing. Should help quite a bit but I think I am a bit under inflated in the floor. May get out tomorrow and see. Old paddle but more air.

thanks again

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Does the manufacturer specifies PSI inflation pressure for that water craft ? if so, inflate to that recommended PSI with a good foot or hand pump along a pressure gauge. The performance is same as riding a bic with defleated tires as opposed to its max PSI inflation, a world of difference. On water it turns out worst, hull drag to overcome fast..

Happy Boating

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
You need a decent paddle with any kayak and many of the boats come equipped with basically toy paddles.

Base line is aluminum shaft, plastic blades and very heavy and good for short distances only. Go with something lighter and better designed to get the goody out of that kayak. Determine if you are a high level or low level paddler and get the proper length to allow for that paddling style. I would guess that you want to develop a high level paddling stroke with an inflatable kayak for best control.

The only thing an inflatable kayak has in common with inflatable boats is that they are inflatable.

BobJames

Recruit
Have you tried a set of paddles that are longer? It can be difference between night and day. I've tried some inflatable kayaks with shorter paddles and it felt really awkward and I got almost no power from my strokes, also scraped my knuckles against the hull. So if possible, borrow a set of longer paddles for a day or two and see if you can notice any difference.

I'd also take a look on your sitting position, I noticed you said the floor could be under-inflated, that's probably one of the reasons you're having a hard time getting any power.

So, try longer paddles and get higher above the floor, see if that changes anything!

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there dquitresin, welcome to iboats!
Please check your Private Messages...Your PM should be highlighted in red with a number in the upper right-hand corner of the forums page.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.