Anyone else own 2 inflatables

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The one thing I missed about selling my ski boat was the ability to load up 8-10 people for a fun afternoon. My Achilles is just 2 small to load up more than 4. I'm fine with that because I wanted something very light and portable. I have recently picked up a second engine for salt water and decided to buy a second inflatable so when friends and family want to come visit I can accomidate everyone. I found a SIB made by Cardinal that is the 300 with air floor on sale at the inflatable boat center for only $650 USD. It is PVC but it also 60 percent off retail price so it's a great deal. I have had so much fun in the last 4 months on my Achilles and I feel this is going to really enhance my outings. Besides that if one boat goes down it will be nice to have a backup. Does anyone else own more than one inflatable on here?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
My 450 Rib is about to give birth to a 320 alum floor Sib LOL. Will be a portable combo with just a 5 HP on it to take to far away beaches where launching a Rib is a problem and boating is a must do. Assume that Achilles is larger than the planned 3.00 Mt sib, right. The only down issue I see is the air deck, do you have any experience with air decks ? those needs to be air topped to perform as expected, will need to buy a hand pump to pump as much as 12-14 psi and re inflate once on water. Is the achilles Sib a wooden or alum panel floor ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My achilles came with the aluminum floor. I used it a couple of times and bought an airfloor for it. The aluminum was to much of a PIA to assemble and disassemble. I actually prefer the airfloor on my smaller 310 achilles because its much softer on the knees. The boat actually bounces less with the airfloor too. I have an electric pump so assemble is a breeze. I can have my boat in the water in about 12 minutes of pulling up to the ramp. With my 8hp yamaha I hit about 19-20MPH with me and my son so it scoots along nicely. Im hoping to hit close to 30mph with the 15hp and new Cardinal boat and be able to tow surfers into the wake of Supertankers cruising in and out of the Houston ship channel. Its going to be a good summer.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
30 MPH will be scary to control on that size sib...small sibs with large OB's will achieve a nervious behaviour. Although an air deck is knee pleasing, you need to top tubes, keel and air deck for best water performance, rigidity is key on those.

Happy Boating

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Yes. I have a Saturn mini cat sib w/8hp Johnson and an Apex rib w/15hp honda. Both if these boats belong to the same species but have totally different behaviors. The mini cat just glides over the water with or without horsepower. With oars, one stroke will take you 10 to 13 feet no problem. The air floor is pretty sturdy when inflated properly. The 8hp will make the cat fly, but it is bouncy in chop. You must have supercharged that yami to hit 20mph on a boat so small. My max speed on the mini cat is 16mph with a screamer 1986 8hp johnson 2 stroke.

Last edited:

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Oh yes. On my 12' rib 27mph top speed with 15hp is enough. I cant imagine 30mph on a 310 sib.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Assume you're a light weight boater to achieve those mentioned speeds, right ? A 18 HP tested on a 310 Rib was scary at wot, a nervous behavior, needed to be tiller driven very relaxed.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Meanwhile the new 450 Rib reaches port, been boating with this small nice SR 320 Sib powered with a 2 strokes Tohatsu 5 HP OB, it's used at boating locations where a Rib & trailer can't be launched from. Would love to power it with a 2 strokes Tohatsu 18 HP but don't want to hurt my back spine handling a 42 Kg OB compared to 20 Kg of the 5 HP. Would love to count with a 9.8 HPbut locally unavailable. Nice set-up for 2 up at fast displacement speed...

NT2.JPG

P1240558.JPG

P1240662.JPG

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I don't have two inflatables but I do have two boats. One is a 14ft Sea Eagle with a 30hp Mercury and the other a 15ft Scout with a 70hp Johnson. I can see where one boat will be better at some things than the other so plan on keeping and using both. For example the Sea Eagle should be much better when the main purpose for the day is swimming with the doggy or launching and retrieving the boat on my river by myself. I could see where the bigger boat would be better on the big lake down the road from me where can be found on ramps with good docks which might be to tall for an inflatable. 81 (1).JPG81 (2).JPG81 (3).JPGBuddy Life Jacket.JPG

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I don't have two inflatables but I do have two boats. One is a 14ft Sea Eagle with a 30hp Mercury and the other a 15ft Scout with a 70hp Johnson. I can see where one boat will be better at some things than the other so plan on keeping and using both. For example the Sea Eagle should be much better when the main purpose for the day is swimming with the doggy or launching and retrieving the boat on my river by myself. I could see where the bigger boat would be better on the big lake down the road from me where can be found on ramps with good docks which might be to tall for an inflatable.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I have no idea how two of the same posts got on here and have not been able to figure out how to delete one of them.

Last edited: