Opinions on Bris boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Saw some YouTube videos of this boat company and I'm interested in maybe buying an inflatable from them. Looks like a Chinese company that mostly sells on ebay. All the YouTube videos and eBay review have been very positive but of course the longevity of the boat is what concerns me.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Asian manufacturers makes lots of inflatables with different names so near impossible to track down which Company actually makes them. At least are heavy duty Korean or German ? 1.2 mm PVC fabic which is a plus over the standard 0.9 mm ones. Check their warranty if opting going for one.

Happy Boating

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Asian manufacturers makes lots of inflatables with different names so near impossible to track down which Company actually makes them. At least are heavy duty Korean or German ? 1.2 mm PVC fabic which is a plus over the standard 0.9 mm ones. Check their warranty if opting going for one.

Happy Boating

Thanks for the reply. yeah its hard to really determine with all these chinese companies pretty much selling the same product with different names. Whats funny about these guys warranty is in their ad on Ebay it says that it has a 3 year warranty but then on their terms and conditions it says 2 year warranty. Emailed them about it got an email back that it is a 3 year warranty. What i'm looking at is their 14' kaboat(i know people either hate them or love em) which they are selling cheaper than Saturns and materials are the same .9mm another thing is saturn only has a 2 year warranty vs bris "3 year" warranty. However Saturn has its reputation going for it while Bris only really has its ebay feedback and some youtube videos that has only been posted last year or so.

Neuner

Seaman
I was leaning towards the Bris or SeaBright based on the 1.2mm fabric and cost. I chose to go with SeaBright even though it was about $150 more because of the reports and reviews about their service and reputation and because it has a fiberglass transom over the marine plywood.

Not sure what size you're looking for but the heavier duty fabric is only offered on the 15'+ boats with SeaBright. If I had wanted to go smaller, I probably would've selected Bris but would've been more nervous about the purchase. Do note that SeaBright offers a hypalon upgrade in the smaller sized boats that is more reasonably priced.

If you happen to consider SeaBright, Daniel the owner is the main contact and great to work with. He helped out a lot with shipping and customs to make it as easy as possible. I've also corresponded with him many times, especially during my decision making process, and he was always very prompt with a response. Also, if you look at the SeaBright pricing, note that it is in Canadian Dollars and the conversion right now is 1.31 so take the price and divide it by 1.31 for the American Dollar equivalent.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's a pitty that SeaBright dealer has not requested his supplier smaller size sibs in PVC 1.2 mm fabric, costs bit more but adds more tube rigidity and more man abrasssion punishment, UV included. Being hypalon is not a synonym of being thick compared to PVC fabrics. Small size ones use very thin Hypalon fabrics, attractive price issues...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Neuner

Seaman
Being hypalon is not a synonym of being thick compared to PVC fabrics. Small size ones use very thin Hypalon fabrics, attractive price issues...

Not sure I understand what you mean. The Hypalon fabric he has listed is the same as what is noted on the Zodiac Mark / Grand Raid versions including tear resist and tensile strength.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
There are many Hypalon thickness fabrics, starts at around 0.7 mm and goes up tp 1.2 mm fabrics for recreational boats uses. Usually small inflatables are assembled with 0.7 mm fabrics, larger ones with 0.9 mm fabrics, large ones with 1.1/1.2 mm fabrics. More thick the fabric, more expensive it turns out.

Happy Boating

Neuner

Seaman
There are many Hypalon thickness fabrics, starts at around 0.7 mm and goes up tp 1.2 mm fabrics for recreational boats uses. Usually small inflatables are assembled with 0.7 mm fabrics, larger ones with 0.9 mm fabrics, large ones with 1.1/1.2 mm fabrics. More thick the fabric, more expensive it turns out.

Happy Boating

Understand that and the same goes for PVC, but back to my question of what does that have to do with the OPs question? Why did you bring up this fact after I mentioned the SeaBright Hypalon version being cheaper than other manufacturers when the material thickness is equivalent for the comparison unless you were only trying to be belittle my comment.

Now back to the original question at hand before getting derailed over a boat material/thickness digression.

JiggyJay - after reviewing the Bris boats as well, I think you would be fine and happy with purchasing one of them. I would only question what happens if a warranty issue arises and how they would handle it. I know it's not often but does happen to some degree with all of the boats.

Last edited:

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Thanks nuener. Yeah they have a good warranty but my preference is to not have to use it.. all the reviews have been great on their boats but most of the owners have had their boats for less than a year. We'll keep an eye on them but don't think I'll buYing a new boat this coming summer. Would love to but I shouldn't!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
It's not the thickness of the material that is important. It's the quality of the fabric and whether it is glued or thermo bonded that is important. Hand glued PVC boats have anywhere from a two to six year average service life depending on UV levels.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Besides PVC fabric quality, employing good quality 2 part glue assures Long Live the Inflatable along proper inflation & care...

Happy Boating

Status
Not open for further replies.