Anchor Surprises.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What was the weridest surprise your anchor locked onto or picked up while being hoisted from waterbed ? boots don't count for this one LOL!!

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
20' log with about a dozen lures on it

Neuner

Seaman
These are funny. I've had nothing close to this happen to me so it appears I need to get out more!

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I looked for the anchor, then remembered I don't have one.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Went Ribbing to a far away beach, anchored there to sip some cold ones, time to get back to Terra Firme, started pulling 40 Ft of deployed rope, no budge whatsoever, gee, too many cold ones, don't think so. Tried every rope and Rib possible movement to free anchor with no avail. Always carry at bow locker a pair of fins, mask and snorkel just in case. Dived 30 Ft of clear water, lying at sea bed was this nice anchor entangled with my current anchor, couldn't believe my eyes.

P1230872.JPG

GPS the place, went next day with a larger boat and made the 10 mile cruise to port with old anchor hanging side of boat. Was raised from boat with my Club's crane and is still lying there wondering what to do with it.

P1230873.JPG

For what have researched on the net, it's a Admilarlty Anchor around nineteen century, must be the upgraded model as this kind of anchor is fixed and this one pivots at upper and lower portion of anchor. The condition is still great, just rusted and flaky due to long years lying on salt water. Probably will donate it to our local Naval Museum, you never know what could be found underwater....

Happy Boating

Swoosh3

Seaman
Very Cool find Sea Rider

A few years back and a different boat ago hauled in a 70's vintage Johnson 3.5 self contained kicker motor up with the anchor.
A couple or three hours (and bevies) later and it was running like a charm.
Traded it off to a friend and he still uses it to this day on his 10' tinny.