Trailers for Inflatables

Neuner

Seaman
I know there is a specific trailer section but it gets so convoluted with all of the different types of watercraft that I thought I'd post here in the specific SIB section.

This past season we built and folded our SIB for each outing and are now looking at getting a trailer for some of the trips. After reviewing quite a few different pictures online with different build ups, we're looking at a foldable utility trailer option. For our size of boat and to make sure the transom area is supported, I plan on extending the hitch and front of the trailer with a 2" square steel tube extension. I've attached a photo I've found (which may have come from here) of a similar setup.

Would like to hear or see everyone else's setups, experiences and some of the pros/cons of their design if possible?

image_102930.jpg

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The trailer looks good, is that the one intended for current use ? Don't know if you'll be able to add lateral and medium bunks and fold nicely on top of a foldable trailer though ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Neuner

Seaman
Would like to build something like it which should be easy but not sure if I'm missing something so would like to see and hear about other's experiences.

Not sure if I understand your question. We might build a fence around the side of our house and I could then keep the boat on the trailer most of the time. If not, I'd store the boat and trailer separately, each folded up on their own. A day or two before the trip I'd build the boat and get it pulled up on the trailer ready to go. For the places we launch the most, the ramps are very busy and it's easiest if we launch using transom wheel dolley's to quickly get in line and out of everyone's way. With the trailer I would park and then slide the boat off onto the wheel dolley's and then roll it to launch.

For us, it's the alum floor that wears us out and limits our time on the water so any way that we can eliminate this step is a huge bonus for us. With it on the trailer I thought we'd have the keel deflated so it rode flat and maybe have the tubes slightly deflated if it helped. I was debating about traveling with the motor on the transom. Probably only for some of our short trips with it removed for the longer, several hour trips to the coast. I'd only travel with the motor on the transom if the tubes were inflated properly and I had a transom saver.

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Neuner
Wow, you have a 460 SIB,
that must be a handful to launch
and
you must be some kind of an iron man
to build that thing every time out!

There was a thread on here a couple - few years back with
someone who built a trailer and loaded the boat stern first
so he could support the motor off of the trailer tongue.

If I get on a big iBoats forum distraction over the weekend
and stumble across the thread, I'll report back.

Good Luck

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Neuner
Wow, you have a 460 SIB,
that must be a handful to launch
and
you must be some kind of an iron man
to build that thing every time out!

There was a thread on here a couple - few years back with
someone who built a trailer and loaded the boat stern first
so he could support the motor off of the trailer tongue.

If I get on a big iBoats forum distraction over the weekend
and stumble across the thread, I'll report back.

Good Luck

from you photo above,
it looks like you likely stumbled upon one of the threads with
photos of / discussion about DrownedRat's trailer setup
Post #6
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...ables-and-ribs/284023-inflatable-boat-trailer

here are some other old threads I stumbled upon for putting an inflatable on a trailer
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...nching-a-sib-with-a-utility-trailer-questions
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...tables-and-ribs/374927-trailer-for-inflatable

hopefully next season,
I will be looking at getting a trailer together
or
modifications to my HFT 4x8 special
so I can build my SIB before or during
a week / weekend trip only one time

Good Luck!

Neuner

Seaman
No Title

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Building the SIB isn't too bad. My wife is a huge help and we really have our act down. The worst part is getting the floor and stringers/rails snapped in correctly. It exhausts us the most. The rest isn't much. Even have the loading and unloading of the boat in the van down pretty good. Kind of flip it like a domino on end by myself with her inside to keep it from catching on anything or getting damaged.

Launching the boat is alright as well and even with a trailer, I'll probably hand launch it the same. I have cheap movers shoulder straps like the attached pic that I hook to the front handle. Makes it relatively easy to lift and maneuver the boat around with transom wheels. We use to do the same with the engine but have started to just do it myself instead of pairing up to accelerate the process.

We usually cause a gathering at the boat lunch. Everyone is surprised to see us unload/load the boat and engine from a van while also carrying 5 people and all of the gear.

Although we do alright, would be nice having it built a head of time. Would also like to take my younger son out fishing without the whole family. It's just too much work for me and he's not old enough to help. A trailer should make it feasible.

photo234275.png photo234276.jpg

Attachments

• attach10077992.jpg
    attach10077992.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've used a utility trailer with sides high enough to protect the sides for years. built a cradle that was held down by a set of hinges, pull hinge pins and cradle comes out to use trailer for other hauling. space for me was a premium, so I had to dual purpose the trailer.

Dan_F

Recruit
Not the best picture, but I couldn't find a good one of the trailer without the boat. I modified my Shorelander trailer with additional bunks for the tubes. I also have a transom-saver that attaches to the rear crossbar of the frame.
P6140001.jpg

Neuner

Seaman
Thanks Dan. I like how you arranged the bunks with the wood frame and also the front roller. Hadn't thought of that.

Was hoping to have some sort of flat surface over the whole trailer, similar to the one I posted so that we could also haul all of our bikes when we need to but that would mean we'd have to deflate the keel and put extra strain on the rest of the boat?

Neuner

Seaman
Found out that Harbor Freight dropped the price on their 90154 HD Foldable Utility Trailer down to $280. Had to call around to find one that had it in stock. When I went to check out, the cashier had me sign up for their text service through my phone and I received an additional 20% discount on one purchase so I got the trailer for $224 with tax!

Got it sooner than planned so it will probably sit around for a while till I start putting it together and then figure out how to accommodate it to the SIB.

If anyone else goes after any of their trailers, make sure to check that the boxes match. Found some of them returned because the numbers were off and the parts didn't interchange well.

1195-utility-trailer2.jpg

Attachments

• 1195-utility-trailer2.jpg
    1195-utility-trailer2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Neuner

Seaman
Has anyone dry launched their boat off of a trailer from the beach or shores without submerging the trailer? When we head to the beach, we won't be able to submerge the trailer like at a boat ramp. We'll have to push it off of the trailer onto it's transom wheels and pull it back on. Pins in the trailer can be pulled so that it tilts backwards and we'll have a winch installed. Wondering how difficult it will be to get it on and off of the carpeted bunks? Can't seem to find any links or videos if anyone else has done this.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
For beach launching a 360/380 sib used to submerge 3/4 trailer with car, once disengaged, with tongue up let combo slide off with raised OB leg onto water.

04.JPG

To recover combo, raised tonge/trailer, raised sib's bow and slided 1/3 portion onto trailer, a front winch winched combo fully onto trailer. Mine had a carpeted flat bed to slide sib fast to/from water. The only issue was that needed to inflate keel once sib was resting on water, when towing both sib's tubes rested horizontally flat on bed while supporting a Yam 25 HP OB nicely on transom. Will need to rinse trailer after use or salt water will literally eat it away..

06.JPG

Is that nice trailer you have bought for that 460 carrier ? Plan installing OB once Sib floats on water ?

Happy Boating

Neuner

Seaman
Is that nice trailer you have bought for that 460 carrier ? Plan installing OB once Sib floats on water ?

Happy Boating

Thanks for the info. The trailer photo I posted isn't mine but I wish it was. I had grabbed it off an internet search because I liked the way they extended the tongue on the harbor freight trailer. I have since done something very similar to mine and have a winch mounted up front.

Although I have a flat portion of the trailer in the middle, I've added bunks to the sides that are quickly removable and raised slightly higher than the middle. These just clear over the wheel fenders and might allow the keel to remain inflated but I'm not sure. I still have to carpet them and I'm debating about staining and sealing or painting the exposed wood before I use it.

I'm hoping to be able to keep the motor on the transom but your are correct, although my transom wheels raise it up quite a bit, I will still have to raise it up to push it off of the trailer or load it back on due to the attack angle. If I have to, I'll remove the engine to get it onto the trailer but I'm hoping I don't.

Since my last post, I have found a couple of instances where individuals with similar setups have dry launched or loaded their boats with relative ease even without tilting the trailer so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

If you go back a bit you'll find my post on Trail X inflatable boat trailers call Nice Inflatable Boat Trailer. It's not cheap as I paid about $1500.00 for it but it's a great lightweight trailer. It was Fedx to me and went together very easily.

Attachments

• photo230710.jpg
    photo230710.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo232531.jpg
    photo232531.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo238630.jpg
    photo238630.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo238631.jpg
    photo238631.jpg