This is why I own an inflatable!

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lake buchanan in central texas has been in a drought for quite a few years now. there are some beautiful waterfalls located on the Colorado river 1/2 mile up where the river feeds into the lake. They have been ineccessable for last 3 years. We had a little bit of rain in May that opened up the lake and river and put about 1-2ft of water in the river to make it doable for kayaks or inflatables. I had to navigate through a flooded forest on my boat slowly but when I made it through it was all worth it. Here is a video I shot. This is why I own an Inflatable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ZHRsESmlU

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Didn't know there was more than one Colorado River. Just been around the one that comes from here CO to AZ/CA. Learn something new everyday. There is even a Colo River in Australia, no rado on the end of Colo

Neuner

Seaman
Thanks for posting! Had no idea it was back there. We'll have to go check it out next season. Can you provide a little bit more clearer reference on its location? It's difficult to locate where it might be on a map.

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So look at the map of lake buchanan. On the north side where the colorado river dumps in it is a 1/2 mile up river from the lake. When you are traveling north on the river it will be the first cliffs on the left. You cant miss it. Good luck

Neuner

Seaman
Thanks!

What are some of the other areas you've ventured into? We've only been Sibbing this summer but have enjoyed LBJ, Canyon Lake and the Coast. Anxious to try out some more of the rivers.

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My home water is the San Jacinto river in Kingwood,tx. However it's not worth planning a trip too. We occasionally go to lake Livingston and boat over to Pine island which is on the south side. I have also ran miles up the trinity river on the north side of lake Livingston. The river is deep and smooth as glass. You can run a good 22 miles up it away from lake Livingston. Where I'm dying to go to is Shell island in Panama City Florida. It's only accesable by boat and is just loaded with sea creatures everywhere with crystal clear water. Here is a video I shot from pine island a few weeks ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GIg0HMB3CsM

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks!

What are some of the other areas you've ventured into? We've only been Sibbing this summer but have enjoyed LBJ, Canyon Lake and the Coast. Anxious to try out some more of the rivers.

How is canyon lake? I know the water is clear but are there any cool beaches to boat too?

Neuner

Seaman
How is canyon lake? I know the water is clear but are there any cool beaches to boat too?

Sorry, just got this. I'm not receiving email notifications for some reason.

Canyon Lake is fun for us because it is so close. Not sure if it's a travel destination. There aren't really any 'beaches'. It is all large rock/boulder shoreline. There is a cove near boat launch 6 (i think) where a lot go to anchor and swim. We're able to pull ours a shore in this location without waves bashing the boat on the rock.

We usually launch from Cranes Mill early in the morning, go along the lake to the dam before the crowds and waves, head back and go up the guadalupe river which is fun. We've only headed up about 7 miles so far. Not sure how it compares to the rivers you are use to but it is somewhat more scenic than the other areas around here.

Have you tried the coast? We really enjoy the bay and dolphin watching. We will typically head to an uninhabited island for lunch, check out the wildlife and explore. One of the pics is us strolling up the Guadalupe and the others are from our coast trips.

**edit** just saw on a map where you are. Was thinking you were more up North from us. That is a cool area to explore. Will have to check out Lake Livingston some day. Good camping areas? Hoping to take camping trips to uninhabited islands with the boat some day soon.

Attachments

• Dolphins Playing Coast 02_800.jpg
    Dolphins Playing Coast 02_800.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1080394_800.jpg
    P1080394_800.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2867_800.jpg
    IMG_2867_800.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20150801_122743_800.jpg
    IMG_20150801_122743_800.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice pics. I have been wanting to check out the coast but Im looking for another outboard. My 8hp yamaha 2stroke is two nice of motor for her to drink salt water. Im in search of a 15hp 2stroke that I will use in salt. As soon as I get my hands on one then its off to galveston to do some Super Tanker surfing. Those big ships roll in and out of the houston ship channel all day and you can get up to 10 min surf sessions behind them on a long board. The guadalupe looks really cool. Thanks for the pics

Neuner

Seaman
Nice pics. I have been wanting to check out the coast but Im looking for another outboard. My 8hp yamaha 2stroke is two nice of motor for her to drink salt water.

I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you flush it afterwards. Done all the time. Have friends who run theirs and even reside at the coast with no issues for years. Engines still look good as well. I flush mine the next day for 10-15 minutes and give the exterior a good wash.

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, just got this. I'm not receiving email notifications for some reason.

Canyon Lake is fun for us because it is so close. Not sure if it's a travel destination. There aren't really any 'beaches'. It is all large rock/boulder shoreline. There is a cove near boat launch 6 (i think) where a lot go to anchor and swim. We're able to pull ours a shore in this location without waves bashing the boat on the rock.

We usually launch from Cranes Mill early in the morning, go along the lake to the dam before the crowds and waves, head back and go up the guadalupe river which is fun. We've only headed up about 7 miles so far. Not sure how it compares to the rivers you are use to but it is somewhat more scenic than the other areas around here.

Have you tried the coast? We really enjoy the bay and dolphin watching. We will typically head to an uninhabited island for lunch, check out the wildlife and explore. One of the pics is us strolling up the Guadalupe and the others are from our coast trips.

**edit** just saw on a map where you are. Was thinking you were more up North from us. That is a cool area to explore. Will have to check out Lake Livingston some day. Good camping areas? Hoping to take camping trips to uninhabited islands with the boat some day soon.

Hey how far north up the guadelupe can you go from canyon lake? Im thinking about heading up there in the next few weeks. can you reccomend a good hotel that has a boat ramp on the north side of canyon lake or on the N guadelupe river.

Neuner

Seaman
http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/...n/access.phtml

If we are looking to explore the lake and part of the guadalupe, we like to launch from Cranes Mill Park (B1). Very nice park and ramp near the start of the Guadalupe. Not busy at all even during the prime times. $3 for a launch but worth it so you don't have to battle the jerks who race down the ramp to kick you out of the way so they can launch which happens at most of the free ramps. Friends and family have tried out several of the other launch ramps but they come back to Cranes Mill.

Been looking to try out Rebecca Creek (A1) which is free. Located about 6-7 miles up the River. We've been there several times by land and boat to check it out or go fishing but never launched. Very mild mannered with usually several kayaks or very small fishing boats so you'd fit right in. They just cleared out a lot of the brush and trees at the ramp so it's a lot more inviting.

We only ventured about a mile further up from Rebecca Creek one time and turned around because the family was tired. There was a large fiberglass boat and some waverunners who were continuing on up further so looks like you can go quite a ways. Just stay in the river channels.

Don't know about hotels in the area. We come from the South side so that is the only area we know.

Just beware of Cedar Fever which is in full swing until about Valentines Day. Even those who normally don't have allergies have extremely itchy eyes, stuffy nose and sneezing fits. Even on meds I stay indoors until it's done. Don't know if you get it in the East but the cedars from North of Austin on down to the hill country make outdoor life absolutely miserable this time of year.

Last edited:

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cedar fever now thats a new one for me. we definately dont get that one in houston. Ragweed in october can be quite a nuisance though. That river sounds really cool. Thanks for the info. will probably launch from crane mills

Neuner

Seaman
Ever head out to Lake Amistad and then up Devils River? My brother and I were discussing a trip out there. Much different scenery than what we are use to. From some of the Google Earth pics, appear to be cliffs on one side like at Big Bend National Park.

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah lake Amistad is on my list for places to check out this summer too.

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the water was up 8ft at lake Buchanan and I really wanted to head farther up the Colorado river north of fall creek waterfalls. So I took care of unfinished business this weekend and we discovered 4 more waterfalls. They were not as extreme as the first video but what a great swimming hole I found for when the weather warms up this summer. Here is a video I shot of this crystal clear swimming hole. It is by far the clearest water I have ever seen in my life.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jG_oKwAvw7E

Last edited:

Neuner

Seaman
Wow, that is clear. How deep was it? Any issues with hitting bottom? Definitely a new destination for us hopefully.

Can only take your boat if you row but have you been to Garner State Park? Spring water that is very clear. Even when you stir up the bottom, it quickly settles. Kids love to snorkel and watch the fish and turtles.