speed difference 12' vs. 13' sib w/8hp 2stroke

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Hello. I have an 8hp 2stroke johnson that runs well. I own a saturn mini cat 9'6" right now. I am going to pjrchase the 12 or 13 foot regular sib style soon. I assume the 12 foot will offer better performance, am i correct?

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 310 Achilles with an 8hp 2stroke Yamaha and with two adults I hit 16-17 mph. I wish I had more HP but every time I lift the motor into my SUV I'm glad it only weighs 60 pounds. I would imagine you would need a minimum of 15hp for a 12-13ft inflatable. 20-25hp might suit you better though.

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Somewhere down the line I read the longer the boat the fast it will take you. I just want to be able to plane with larger adults. Is the achilles 310 a rib? I was thinking about purchasing the Frib which is foldable.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A larger size sib slides and preforms much better than a shorter one with same OB, that's provided that sib is top air inflated on all chambers, weight evenly distributed on deck along perfectly trimmed and with spot on engine/transom height. Frib is a nice alternative, will outperform any sib any time, any day.

Happy Boating