14' Saturn Cataraft advice?

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi y'all! I am looking at a mint used 14' Saturn Cataraft for fishing. I have no need for a boat other than going on fishing adventures so I am thinking this kind of craft would work great! Does anyone have these? Any pros and cons? This is a photo of the one I am looking at;

Attachments

• photo230682.jpg
    photo230682.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This model is quite different than a traditional Sib or Rib. That boat's pic looks nice, perfect for anglers, it does have a built in transom, right ? If buying check with soappy water that tubes, seams, air valves don't have air leaks for your peace of mind and wallet.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! I will check the tubes. It has the NRS fishing frame and it also has the trolling motor mount and the anchor mounting kit. I am planning on putting a floor in it because I am going to use it on lakes for fishing so I need a nice floor to be able to walk around a bit.

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Got my Cataraft! Just finished putting a floor in and now I am ready to do some fishin!

Attachments

• photo232368.jpg
    photo232368.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232369.jpg
    photo232369.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232370.jpg
    photo232370.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Everything from NRS is high quality as I'm sure you've noticed.

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah ...the NRS stuff seems really tight! I took her out on a lake yesterday and had a blast! I never used it until then so I didn't realize the oars were mounted too close to the row seat and I couldn't get a good full row with them but that's just minor stuff. I am putting a 50# troller on her anyway so who needs them! LOL! I will carry a single in case my battery gets too low but those huge expensive oars are not my thing. My goodness they are like 9' long so it makes getting into tight spots on the lake where the good fishing is nearly impossible! I put that floor in there and it was really nice out on the lake! So happy I pulled the trigger on this set up! Dude had around $3500 in the whole set up about a year ago and I got it for $1500 so I am very happy.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Great yeah my first boat was an 8ft tender that I used with an old low thrust Sears trolling motor. Me and a friend went fishing up and down our river a lot with just that setup and had a lot of fun doing it. A 50 lb. thrust motor is pretty good for a light weight boat so you should be happy with that. Even if your not going as fast as with a gas motor getting to where your going will be part ofIMG_20111119_101609 (2).JPG the fun. After a couple of years I picked up a 1972 Johnson 6hp. It moved us along faster but it was also a lot heavier and louder. I sold that motor about three years ago and even as old as it was would always start on the first pull and ran great.
IMG_20110903_112038 (2).JPG

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cool! Thanx for sharing that! I am going to be really pleased with the 50# trolling motor I am sure. I am in no hurry when I get out on the river or lake. I just enjoy the whole experience :) I think that 50# will move that 14" Cataraft along at a pretty good pace since it is so light and not much is actually in the water. I hate messing with the outboards not only because of the noise and extra weight ..I also don't like having the gas on board.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
That Johnson only cost me $300 but at the time,for my purpose I think a 20-30.lb thrust trolling motor Croped Sea Eagle.JPGmight of worked out better. It was good that I got that 6hp though because it started me out learning about outboards which has served me well with my beloved Mercury 30hp.

58.JPG

64osby

Admiral
Trolling motor should work for you. Check you local laws, as you might be required to register it once it has "power".

Michigan is one of the states that require any powered vessel to be registered.

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
LOL! Yeah...they told me that at the DMV when I was getting plates for the trailer. I am going to put a trolling motor on it and go for it. If they catch me and give me crap about it I will go ahead and title it.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Hey man... I know it's not nrs grade but I'm picking up a sea eagle foldcat 375 on Friday and I'm also going to put a 50# troller. I'm thinking about putting a solid deck on top of the aluminum. I'll let you guys know that works out. I'm really excited to be picking it up for $500! It's the pro angler package so it has the seats and pedestals, quick release mounts and 4 rid holders.

Attachments

• photo232560.jpg
    photo232560.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cool! Show pics as soon as you can! They look pretty cool and for $500 you can't go wrong ;)

mrdrh99

No Title

Here's a couple more pics. This is the actual boat, not sea eagle stock pics, you can tell it isn't fully inflated to pressure

Attachments

• photo232646.jpg
    photo232646.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232647.jpg
    photo232647.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Very cool! Looks like it will be great for fishing! I got sick the day after I took mine out for a test run and now I am mad because she is sitting in the garage waiting for me to get better! LOL!

mrdrh99

Oh that sucks! Get well soon!

I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon so I'll get some pics up of my own very soon

lncoop

Vice Admiral
LOL! Yeah...they told me that at the DMV when I was getting plates for the trailer. I am going to put a trolling motor on it and go for it. If they catch me and give me crap about it I will go ahead and title it.

Why not just go ahead and register it now? Not sure what it costs in your neck of the woods but I'm willing to bet it's a lot less than the fine assessed for willful violation of the law, not to mention it's the right thing to do. Enjoy the new cat!