Avon with inflatable Keel - Stern valve?

Blondce

Cadet
I have a new (used) Avon inflatable. We took it out for the first time and learned a lot! While we were washing it down we discovered a hole in the floor at the stern in the aluminum floor. It basically allowed 15 gallons of water to go into the keel. We were really unclear as to whether this should have been an inflation point, or if there should be a plug. It was even suggested that it was suppose to take on water as 'ballast'. It was a 'nice' whole with a hard plastic/rubber grommet. Any thoughts?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Is the hole located at lower transom as if the water drain valve is missing or it's under alum rear floorboard's lower hull fabric. Post pics.

Happy Boating

Blondce

Cadet
The hole is definitely in the floor. and looking under, there is no valve or drain for the water to come out. IMG_0204 (1).jpg IMG_0206 (1).jpgIMG_0205 (1).jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
First time seeing a water drain valve at that awful position,That's a straight transom with bending angle downwards, right. Flap diaphragm should open towards back of transom as seen from rear to drain water out properly, probably is set backwards, check. See if new (actual) drain valve plug can match same Avon diam plug or get a round cork of same diam and height. What's the deck like ?

Happy Boating

Blondce

Cadet
It is not a drain plug. The only place for water to go is into the rear keel.

Blondce

Cadet
So I was able to get a hold of the guy from whom I bought the boat. It is apparently a hole for running console controls. We are going with a big plug and see how that works. Going Abalone diving this weekend, so will see how works out.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
For central console controls will need 2 ports one forward, one aft, not for removable foor inflatables though as cables can pass sideways of tubes, less complicated to install.

Happy Boating