Yamaha 2hp or Gamefisher 3hp for Mariner 4?

diesel_fan

Recruit
Hello! My first post here! I am planning to get Intex Mariner 4 in a week or so and hoping to get an advise on what motor will be better for it: Yamaha 2hp --> around 5-6 year old or Gamefisher/Aquabug 3hp --> late 80'? Yamaha is very light, less that 10kg, and, I think a little quieter. Gamefisher has more HP, but a little heavier, noisier (i think) and less parts available. But it has automatic drive.
Any other alternatives? I would like to stay in $200-$300 for the motor.
Also, what shaft length I need on the motor?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Which is the Intex max HP rated for ? Usually most OB's from 2-2.5-3.5 weights same, 2 strokes much less. A 2 is just a basic OB preferably larger would be better specially if boating non lightly. If your boating location accepts 2 stroke OB's, get a Tohatsu 3.5 HP. Weights same as the 2.5 HP younger brother, just throttle less. Will need a short shaft for that model sib.

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I had a 1972 Johnson 6 hp I sold only a couple years ago that I used on an 8ft yacht tender. That boat was not built to plane but I tried and sure enough it wouldn't. But it served my needs so it was OK. That motor was a very good motor and would start first pull every time even at 43 years old..I paid $300 for it. If I was in the market for a 6 hp I would purchase another Johnson/Evinrude of just about any year. They sold a lot of those engines and have a reputation for being very well built,lasting a life time if maintained properly. Owners manuals,service manuals still available,as are parts, even for the older ones and they're easy to work on. By the way once we put that motor on a friends aluminum boat,don't remember what size,and we zipped along really well.

Attachments

• photo228077.jpg
    photo228077.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228155.jpg
    photo228155.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Alan,

OP just wanted a 2-3 HP OB and that 4 will only allow 3.5 HP max. Could sit a 5-6 HP, but transom mount along rear of toy will flex downward worst that a buble gum when powering. Best prop angle of attack and thrust will be lost,

Happy Boating

diesel_fan

Recruit
Thank you all for your responses! After some debating at home :) I have decided to get a little bigger and better boat -----> Saturn SD330W. And now I am searching for 9.8 2 stroke Tohatsu or Nissan. Found one for reasonable price, but it was used mostly in salt water and had most of the paint on the lower part is gone.. I will post a picture. Should I avoid it or its normal for salt water outboards?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 0
G

Diesal, Honda and yamaha make great 9.9 motors also. Can't go wrong with Johnson or evinrude either.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The engine seems that has not been flushed/rinsed properly after salt water use, or boat was left moored with lower leg downwards for a extended time period, will need to repaint the whole lower leg and upper parts that presents peeled paint. Could ask seller for a price reduction due not being in eye catching cond.

Happy Boating