Registration stickers. There has to be a better way!

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
HH-66 is suppose to be good stuff. I know it works really well on vinyl and PVC. I picked up a can of it recently for adding d-rings.

20150829_090208 (1024x576).jpg

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HH-66 is suppose to be good stuff. I know it works really well on vinyl and PVC. I picked up a can of it recently for adding d-rings.

Looks good. I am thinking of adding more rings to hook up my "web ladder" for when I am diving to make it easier to re-enter the boat. If it holds the rings good then the sticker should be good to go. Thanks for the photo/info!

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Yep. I use those rings for my anchor, to help hold down the front while towing,and back up tow rings in case ether or both of the main tow rings fail. I traveled 800 miles last year and didn't like depending on only two to do all the work up front. The adhesive I used was clifton one part for vinyl and pvc. It's suppose to work as good as a two part but like a two part it's a bit pricey. HH-66 is suppose to be real good too and costs about half as much as clifton... I have no doubt it would hold the stickers on without a problem.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
After a day of curing and deflating and inflating a few times, I'm happy to report that the HH-66 glue has held up well. As it deflates, the sticker stays in place and contours with the boat. There were two corners that I just touched up and two sides but over all its sticking well. It's much better than the adhesive on the back of the sticker.

Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Glad it worked out for you. One of these days I'm going to start an adhesive thread. I think if you own an inflatable sooner or later your going to need to do some gluing and what better a place to have some information on it then here.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After a day of curing and deflating and inflating a few times, I'm happy to report that the HH-66 glue has held up well. As it deflates, the sticker stays in place and contours with the boat. There were two corners that I just touched up and two sides but over all its sticking well. It's much better than the adhesive on the back of the sticker.

Great! I will report on mine this weekend after I get back in and deflate and inflate again. Hopefully, since I made more room in the garage I can keep it inflated for rest of summer lol.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Glad it worked out for you. One of these days I'm going to start an adhesive thread. I think if you own an inflatable sooner or later your going to need to do some gluing and what better a place to have some information on it then here.

This is a very good idea. With all the mods we do on these boats and possible punctures/leaks, I can see a lot of questions on adhesives, at least I will have questions because you know me :).

nabiul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In canada we have to have license papers on board along with the identification letters, what would you guys do about that? I'd like to keep the papers attached to the boat so that if my friends use it they don't get ticketed.

I was thinking of something like the plexiglass elevator license displays, but it would have to be waterproof and readily accessible.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
20150420_161422.jpg There are thick plastic bag like things that are inexpensive and they seal to make them waterproof. I use them for my papers then I put that in another bigger waterproof bag that connects to patches I glued to my tubes. I have two of the bags,one on each tube. I keep all the little things in there that need to be out of the way but handy to get at. I got mine from Sea Eagle but I don't think they carry them anymore. You can however go to NRS and get patches with connectors on them that you can glue on a waterproof bag and the tubes of your boat. You can also get the bags at NRS but many places carry them,probably here at iboats too.

20150219_115336.jpg

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Previously I mounted my first set of reg tags with 3M 5200.
This year it was time to renew, and I did not have any 3M 5200 laying around.
Plus I could not see paying $12 or $16 for some, particularly when the reg tag was only $14.
Unfortunately, I got a hole in my Inflatable SUP.
I ordered a patch kit out of China on the cheap.
It came with some 30 ml of some chemical concoction -- vinyl glue,
claiming to be MEK and urethane or whatever
( perhaps the China equivalent to HH-66 ? )
and not only did it work great for applying the pvc patch material that came in the kit,
it was right handy for gluing my new reg tags for the SIB on top of the old ones....

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
PS
that boat number plate looks like the way to go,
especially if you are more than sure you are
going to have your Sib for just a couple - three
years