Registration stickers. There has to be a better way!

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Glad it worked for you. I would not be able to bring myself to putting it on my motor. I've spent to much time and energy polishing and waxing it to a mirror shine to do that.

Attachments

• photo230767.jpg
    photo230767.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo230768.jpg
    photo230768.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0

Neuner

Seaman
I rolled up my boat for 2 years and held up just fine when glued with stabond

Was checking to see if anyone else has used boatnumberplate.com and if it is working well for them?

Currently we have our numbers stenciled on with a black sharpie. It's alright but has smeared some when it gets hot and we fold the boat. Currently keeping the boat folded after every use. I have the registration sticker glued to a piece of square PVC and zip tied to a rope hole. Would like something better and not a fan of the letters on a plastic board. Attached photo of current numbering and setup but may be too zoomed out for reference.

P1080396_800.jpg

Last edited:

Neuner

Seaman
Re-looking at this, I may order new registration stickers and put them on the transom. I like that idea better. Think I'm going to just go over the letters with enamel paint this winter. Anyone know what type of paint (brush-on) holds up best? Car model paint or rustoleum type?

Haven't interacted with any patrol. Passed by one at the bay in the harbor and they only waved to my family. Didn't seem to care that my reg sticker was flapped up in the wind and not viewable but I don't want a ticket either.

Last edited:

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re-looking at this, I may order new registration stickers and put them on the transom. I like that idea better. Think I'm going to just go over the letters with enamel paint this winter. Anyone know what type of paint (brush-on) holds up best? Car model paint or rustoleum type?

Haven't interacted with any patrol. Passed by one at the bay in the harbor and they only waved to my family. Didn't seem to care that my reg sticker was flapped up in the wind and not viewable but I don't want a ticket either.

I have never found the equivalent on iBoats,
so you may want to look over at West Marine,
as they used to have a stencil / pvc paint kit for reg numbers.

You might want to look into Krylon Fusion
though I must make the disclaimer
that I have no idea whether or not
it will damage your fabric,
so use at your own risk

-- might be a good idea to contact Krylon
and ask them about use in this application
( also report back, as I am sure there are
many other forum users how would like to
know )

I think I replied earlier in this thread or another one
that I am pleased enough with the stencil sharpie
method. Also look around, I seem to recall a similar
thread for the Hypalon folks...

Good Luck

Last edited:

Dan_F

Recruit
I used boatnumberplate.com and they look great. I attached them with two-part adhesive and they seem to be very solidly attached. The plates have a shiny section that the registration sticker adheres to nicely. On my old Zodiac I had the glue-on PVC registration numbers/letters and the rubber block. The rubber block was a joke, the stickers didn't stay on at all....

Neuner

Seaman
How long have you had the boat number plate on, has it faded and have you folded the boat up with it on?

Dan_F

Recruit
How long have you had the boat number plate on, has it faded and have you folded the boat up with it on?

I just purchased the boat last summer, but in my experience if you glue it on well it should stay - we'll see! I trailer my boat, but I imagine avoiding folding it right on the number plate would be a good idea.

Neuner

Seaman
I rolled up my boat for 2 years and held up just fine when glued with stabond

Where did you purchase Stabond? Only found it online and it comes in 1 gallons quantities. Any of the 2-part marine epoxies they sell at Home Depot or Lowes work the same?

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
You can get Stabond at NRS where I get all my adhesives and d-rings. They make and sell stuff for white water rafting and if they sell it you can be sure it works. I bought a nice digital air gauge there too.20150129_082622.JPG

fhhuber

Lieutenant
States differ... But generally the stickers have to be on the hull....

TX would be annoying for an inflatable since the sticker location is specified by law and it has to be ON the hull, not on a placard you tie to the hull... and if you put a trolling motor on a $39.35 Wal-Mart inflatable, it MUST be registered... (and they want a hull serial number)
If allowed, my idea would be cut coroplast to the size needed for the stickers, place them on it and zip tie to the inflatable. Cut zip ties to deflate and fold... new zip ties every trip wouldn't be too annoying.
TXDPW would have a conniption fit.

Maybe get colored Sail repair tape and cut the numbers from that... it would stick to your inflatable and fold up with it.
Now its just the reg sticker being annoying.

Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
79.JPG
I glued mine on with Goop. As you can see it worked really well.

Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use Velcro that is use to tie up cords to hang my sign. Never failed and easy to put on and off.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is a stupid new person question concerning Indiana numbers (if anyone knows Indiana codes/law etc.. and yes I searched the BMV site lol) does the numbers stay the same and only the state sticker changes or do they both change yearly? I ask because someone (who I do not really trust but got me to thinking because I am going to paint the numbers on with a sharpie or whatever) said that the numbers do change too.

Thanks if anyone knows. BTW I am learning a lot on this site. You guys are awesome.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The only time the numbers change is if the boat is moved to another state. That's every state, not just Indiana - The registration numbers are permanent.

Stickers change for each registration period.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The only time the numbers change is if the boat is moved to another state. That's every state, not just Indiana - The registration numbers are permanent.

Stickers change for each registration period.

Thanks for the quick reply GA_Boater!
I thought so...Thanks a lot!!!

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just an update on my stickers. I first used the clear patches that came with the boat but after inflating and deflating a few times they are loose. So today I stopped by Rural King store and picked up some glue (AirStop) that is for patching PVC boats I put it on a few hours ago and it looks like it will be good to go. If not I think I will order HH-66 and try that.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I used regular Goop on mine. It looks good and has been on since last summer but I keep my boat inflated. Ops sorry guys didn't remember I had all ready posted a like reply. I don't get why when you edit you can't delete?

20150827_074220 (1) (1024x576).jpg

Last edited:

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used regular Goop on mine. It looks good and has been on since last summer but I keep my boat inflated. Ops sorry guys didn't remember I had all ready posted a like reply. I don't get why when you edit you can't delete?

I feel stupid now because I just looked in my tool box and have Goop in there!!! I guess if this Airstop doesnt hold I will try it.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
My order of HH-66 glue came in yesterday. I applied it to the back of my stickers last night. I'll follow up after a few days of inflating and deflating to see how it's holding up.

IN Mariner4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My order of HH-66 glue came in yesterday. I applied it to the back of my stickers last night. I'll follow up after a few days of inflating and deflating to see how it's holding up.

I also ordered the HH-66 from Amazon and am waiting on it, but I saw that Airstop at rural king store and thought I would try it (only a few dollars). I will report on how well it sticks on Saturday after a good run on the river.