Registration stickers. There has to be a better way!

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A few years ago I had some clear vinyl sowed over some 1100 denier pvc on 3 sides. I then slid the sticker inside the clear pocket and glued it to the boat. Has anyone come up with a better way. I see weaver makes the 3" by 3" rubber pockets but I can't see a sticker lasting long on a rubber surface. Surely someone has come up with a bulletproof registration sticker holder. has anyone just stuck there sticker on the outboard cowling?

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
For my registration numbers, I traced blocked letters and used a silver Sharpie marker to fill in the outline (my front tube is dark blue). That looks a lot better than stickers.

For the square registration sticker, I stuck both of mine on the transom, one on the back, and one on the front side. Easily visible, they won't wrinkle, and I've never been hassled about it.

You don't want it on the outboard. After all, the boat is the thing that is registered, not the motor.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure how other states specify where to install the registration sticker, but in Georgia they have to be on the sides of the hull along with the registration numbers. And since they are not merely yearly, most just apply them to the hull with the sticky surface provided. And then you peel them off when you install the next one... JMHO!

pgnyc

Seaman
I keep them in my pocket ready to show !
Each time i go out i cross the Police and they did not stop me for that yet, to be slightly off channel at La Guarda ,that yes .

Pascal

G

First outing i went out without my reg on the boat i caught a ticket. Went to court and got it dismissed but still

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I made a couple of panels out coraplast, the stuff they make yard signs out of. That stuff is indestructible. Attached my numbers and reg sticker to it and cut a couple of slits in the top corners and attached it to the rope on my boat with some Velcro straps. Never had a problem with it. Can take them off when I fold up the boat.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Funny you should ask that question at this time. After three years of putting together my boat I'm done and got it registered today! I was just thinking how I would put my numbers and stickers on this time. My first boat I cut some small pieces of plastic board,clued my numbers and stickers to them and roped them to the two front sides of the boat. The way the law reads it shouldn't be legal here in Texas but I had some interaction with a number of game wardens and none of them said anything about it. I still have the boards but was thinking I would try a different way. Maybe I'll use the boards now until I figure out a better way.

Attachments

• photo228077.jpg
    photo228077.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
I did the boards at first too, until I found out that it's no longer allowed (cannot be removable).

The bow tubed are sharpied on both sides for the numbers. Reg sticker is on the flat surface on the transom (both sides). I did have a game warden look me over in MD, but had no problem with the way I did the lettering and sticker..

alanfox55, that is a nice boat you have there. I have that same motor in my garage, a 72 6hp Johnson. I have it down for rebuild though.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Yep that motor is a 72 also and was one very impressive motor. I only sold that motor about 3 years ago and it was still running strong,still starting first pull every time. If I needed another 6hp that's the motor I would be looking for...can't say enough good things about it.

Yesterday I almost ordered stencils to do the same perm marker thing. That is probably what I will end up doing for the long term but to get going I'm going to put them on the boards. I just read the law yesterday and it sounded like I would be legal using the boards.

Attachments

• photo228155.jpg
    photo228155.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Here is a pic of what I made the coraplast sign material is tear proof and won't shatter. Only $6-7 for a sheet at Lowes.

Attachments

• photo228158.jpg
    photo228158.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 2

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class
In Georgia here.

Years ago I went to the Dept. of Natural Resources and posed the question of where to put the stickers. The numbers were inked in on both sides of the bow as required, but the sticky back registration patches were a problem on a flexible surface. Was told to place the stickers on the inside and outside of the transom where they were visible to any warden checking my boat. Never had a problem in Florida or Georgia with this arrangement.

The most important aspect is that the stickers be placed permanently on the boat, not on a removable board.

I did glue the hypalon patches on the bow of our last inflatable which seen to be working out well at protecting the stickers when folding the boat for storage. Just enough stiffness to protect the stickers.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah I just looked at the Texas law and it just says it must be painted on or attached to both sides on the forward section of the boat that provides easy identification. So it looks like I'm good to go with the boards if I want. I would rather do something else that looks better but it's a fast way to get started anyway.

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Our Colo law says the numbers just have to be shown on the boat.But the The reg sticker has to be placed before the numbers on each side.

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have come up with a bullet proof holder. Get a very thin piece of lexan plexiglass and cut it 4 1/2 by 4 1/2. Inflate your boat then boil the plexiglass. Bend it to gave the glass the same contour of your tubes. Get 2 pieces of hypalon that are 6 inches by 6 inches. The first sheet cut a piece out of the middle that is 3 1/2 by 3 1/2. Glue it to the glass. It should have a 1/2 inch border around your glass. Then glue that piece to your other 6 inch hypalon square. Now the glass is fully encased in Hypalon. Now you can glue it to your inflatable and you have a lifetime sticker holder. Problem solved

Last edited:

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I made my own stencils for the reg. #'s and used the sharpie method.
To attach the Reg. Tag, I applied 3M 5200 to the back side and stuck it
on to my fullly inflated SIB -- main drawback, even with the quick cure
the boat had to stay like taht for 3 days
( it would be a week for the slow cure )

The Reg. Tag seems to be holding just fine and coming up on 30 months.
'Might be interesting next year when I have to apply a new Reg Tag,
but I am thinking I can rough up the old Reg Tag and use 3 M 5200
or maybe I will come across something that cures in a day
( since the tag crinkles up a bit upon deflation, I do not believe
simply attaching the new tag with its own self-adhesive ovrer
the old tag would perform any better than if applied directly
to the PVC hull )

G

So I have come up with a bullet proof holder. Get a very thin piece of lexan plexiglass and cut it 4 1/2 by 4 1/2. Inflate your boat then boil the plexiglass. Bend it to gave the glass the same contour of your tubes. Get 2 pieces of hypalon that are 6 inches by 6 inches. The first sheet cut a piece out of the middle that is 3 1/2 by 3 1/2. Glue it to the glass. It should have a 1/2 inch border around your glass. Then glue that piece to your other 6 inch hypalon square. Now the glass is fully encased in Hypalon. Now you can glue it to your inflatable and you have a lifetime sticker holder. Problem solved

or you can go to boatnumberplate.com and for 40 bux problem solved

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
From what I have read the boat number plate does not hold up well if you deflate and roll up your boat after every outing.

G

From what I have read the boat number plate does not hold up well if you deflate and roll up your boat after every outing.

I rolled up my boat for 2 years and held up just fine when glued with stabond

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Well I went ahead and used the boards for the numbers and all purpose Goop for the registration sticker. When I got the boards out the numbers from 2008 were still on.I didn't use glue back then so I went ahead and peeled and stuck the new numbers on without any glue too. Putting on the registration I sanded the spot a little and lightly then used MEK to clean and soften the PVC. Looking at the picture you can see that it worked pretty good so I'm not going to worry about it. I use the tie down on the bottom to keep the boards from flying up and over and sliding down the rope. All and all I think it looks pretty good so might just leave it as is.

As a side note I sure am tired of waiting to get on the water but it's been 100 degrees here lately or in the high 90's which for me is to hot. Even though I don't have top on the boat I think it's too hot even if I did. The lake is a damned up river and the boat ramp for it is right across the street. The river has shade but I deed to do boat testing and you can't go fast enough on the river to do that. At sunrise it's low 70's and doesn't start getting real hot until about 11 so I could do that. The lake should be nice and calm at that time so that,I think,would work for me. I had thought I had everything done on the boat and motor to head out until I started thinking my motor never warms up to what I would think is normal operating temps so I went ahead and changed the thermostat. The motor is a 97 and the thermostat had never been changed. When I took the old one out it looked like crap and it was obvious it was stuck open. Only problem with this is I didn't order the gaskets so now I have to wait some few days to get them. God willing after this all will be done and I will be on my merry way to boating fun.

Attachments

• photo229078.jpg
    photo229078.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo229079.jpg
    photo229079.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo229081.jpg
    photo229081.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I ended up sticking the registration sticker on my outboard. I called both the sherrifs office and parks and wildlife and spoke with officers. Both of said I should not have any problems that as long as I carry my card that has the license and safety equipment it will not be a problem. Well in last month I have been stopped 2 times for safety checks and passed atleast 10 cops or game wardens and not one even mentioned a thing about my stickers on my outboard so its problem solved.