Saturn XHD 430 / SD330W anyone own one of these or have an opinon on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cart

Recruit
First boat .

We are looking at two options.

Saturn SD330W
Saturn XHD430 / XD430 / "Long tender"

both are light weight , air floor and smaller tubes @16.5.
We will not be buying a gas motor just a trolling motor to move around the smallish lakes in western WA.

My questions

1 does anyone have either of these and do they like them/ would you buy it again.

2 will those boats be sound and comfortable enough for 4 smallish adults. combined the four of us weight in at 550 - 600 LB

USAGE
fresh water, small lakes and the odd bigger one on a nice summers day. We will never be out in waves unless we have made a huge mistake.
no plans to get a gas motor , and I don't want a wood floor.

hope someone has one of these or has first hand experience . No dealers near me have these models in stock so I cant view or buy them locally.

Thanks
Cart

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

A 330 is rather small for 4 boaters, comfy room says it all. Personally would prefer the larger one, more water capable, ideal if in a near future would like to count with an outboard. Get yourself an electric pump for inflating huge tubes and air deck/keel as well. The W on the 330 stands for wide body along more hull drag to overcome fast with a small portable engine.

Are you shure both 430 models comes with an air deck ? Probably not, check tech specs.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

cart

Recruit
Hi Sea Rider,

The longer boat the xd430, seems to have slightly different names on different sites, but I think it is the same boat.

thanks for suggesting the air pump, I intend to get one along with some wheels to drag it up to the water..

Would mind a couple of questions?

1 Do the benches provide part of the structural integrity? Could I remove them altogether so that I could space the seating how and where I would like, or do they hold the boat together in some fashion? I am thinking I could put in my own straps and move to better locations or even add a little one at the front.

2 Is it easier for one person to handle a long skinny boat or a short wide one. (based on your experience) I suspect I will end up hauling a lot of it myself.

Thanks
Cart

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Cart,

1-Will provide structural integrity if boating with a delfeated sib, if fully pumped no need them, at least haven't used mine since day one boating. You can add straps, seat patches, d'rings whatever add-ons you like, just use proper 2 part glue.

2-Based on my experience will need an extra boater to help you assemble, inflate/defleate, disassemble, put in car, etc. What you will be able to do is pulling sib into/out of water, but won't be able to carry any of the 3 mentioned models, although not that heavy are quite bulky to manhandle solo.

XHD should stand for X(Heavy Duty) surely a reinforced model. Those 420/430 are wooden or alum deck sibs, too large to be air decks, unless they are military type, which I doubt.

Happy Boating

cart

Recruit
this is the XD430. at least that is what they are calling it on some sites, it is also being called XHD and Long tender. It is only 110 LBs including the floor according to the specs.
thanks for helping out. Without this site and posts like yours it would be a lot harder to jump into something new like this with no back ground.

http://www.saturnrafts.com/14-saturn-long-tender.html

It is rather narrow @ 30" width and 10' length internal (tubes are 16.5). but I am thinking I could sit four in a one two one pattern..

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Cart,

Was checking that model, but couldn't find it, was hidden somewhere, thought it was a traditional Saturn sib. For your boating purposes will suit you well, the only issues is that being a long air deck sib will need to fully pump it to its factory working pressure of around 10 max 12 PSI preferibly monitoring with a pressure gauge that probably should come with attached hand pump. If not buy one. Thumb pressure monitoring tubes and air deck is no bueno, pressure will be way uneven on tubes and lower than needed.

Sib being large and narrow, inflate tubes to min 3.0, max 3.5 PSI when assembling and check its presssure once resting on water after sitting for some munutes rest for overall pressure inside tubes, air deck to stabilize, reinflate if needed with hand pump to those pressures. it's the only way to achieve sib rigidity and nice water performance as expected.

Usually air decks tend to experience water rolling under deck when being powered with gas outboards, that's the spirit of those inflatable deck sibs, doesn't matter if fully air topped. That's at sea or wavy, choppy water cond, on flat ones not an umconfy issue when being powered with small portable outboards.

If 30" width is an issue, could go for the air deck dinghy tender model.

http://www.saturnrafts.com/14-saturn-dinghy-tender.html

Will have extra 10" width and a much robust watercraft.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

cart

Recruit
Thanks for the help. I think we will pull the trigger on the Long Tender and take your advice ref inflation. worse case is that is is a bit floppy..

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Cart,

Do you have already an electric motor or plan buying one ? Go for the one that delivers the most thrust available as to push better that long sib, don't expect to plane, just fast displacement speeds. The sent link option didn't convinced you ?

Happy Boating

cart

Recruit
Hi ,

I am planning to order a 55# thrust motor, mostly because it seems to be about as big as I can go and stay at 12 volts...

The SD430 you linked to looks great, I would love a boat that size and as durable. But is it just too heavy for me to handle and we are not planning on getting a trailer...

If we enjoy boating and stick at it for a couple of seasons I will most likely upgrade every thing to a big boat with a real engine and a solid trailer. But for now it is just testing the water without spending too much..

Thanks again.
Cart

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Cart,

Get a heavy duty bat for the electric motor. If plan on inflating/deflating each time you'll go boating no need a trailer, both are same lenght and with an air deck, one 10"wider than the other along tubes being bigger in diameter. Prices are near same, it's a better all purpose platform for 4. An electric 12 volt pump will do the job next to launching site without mishap.

If being a 4 boater team, they could lend you a hand as not to manhandle solo...just a 0.5 cent idea.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the help. I think we will pull the trigger on the Long Tender and take your advice ref inflation. worse case is that is is a bit floppy..
HI Cart, I just now purchased the same boat, XD430 as well. It will be here sometime next week. Just wondering how your boat is holding up and your experiences. Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
HI Cart, I just now purchased the same boat, XD430 as well. It will be here sometime next week. Just wondering how your boat is holding up and your experiences. Thanks.

He won't answer. Last visit was 2 years ago.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.