KaBoat

Status
Not open for further replies.

phenoyz

Cadet
Hello

New here

I am considering buying a Saturn KaBoat. Can anybody chime - in on what is better 15 or 16"?
Durability/Stability in open water?

Recommended engine?

http://www.saturnrafts.com/

Thanks

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Why a K boat and not a traditional sib which performs better at open sea. Engine will depend on size.

Happy Boating

Exit

Seaman Apprentice
Sea Rider, I think it depends on your intended use. From what I read, KaBoats cut through the water better than SIBs. I'm not sure how they handle open sea but even with a SIB I don't think I'd like to hit open sea much.

I know that longer Kayaks are much better for open ocean than they are for rivers/lakes or any place where you need to turn quickly/often. So basically, how often do you think you'll have to make sharp turns? Longer boats will perform worse in sharp turns. In open ocean, longer boats should perform better. I'm assuming with Kaboats its no different.

phenoyz

Cadet
Welcome to Iboats,

Why a K boat and not a traditional sib which performs better at open sea. Engine will depend on size.

Happy Boating

Hello Sea Rider

I am putting together and breaking apart every outing...I think Kaboats would be easier than sib?
i wanted the 16' kaboat and plan to get 10hp
i am still looking for the best inflatable to buy - better portability, ease of use since I am very new to this
i am keeping my options open. i will be using it mainly in the open water and also at freshwater, some fishing....
i see a lot of kaboat being used at open water and they seem to be stable.....

but if a sid /rib is better i might get those instead

thanks for the reply

Last edited:

phenoyz

Cadet
another question is what is the difference between a SIB and RIB inflatable? (my main concern is ease of putting together and breaking apart, stability)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A Sib is a soft inflatable boat, a Rib is a rigid inflatable boat, great water performance difference between both. Can't tear apart a Rib, only defate tubes and fold inside. Assume a 15 or larger K boat will have near same number of wooden or alum floorboards to assemble/disassemble, just less wider. A K boat should weight much less than a comparable size sib. Going one or the other will depend entirely on you water conditions. Plan going for a 10 HP engine, will that be 2 or 4 strokes ?

Happy Boating

phenoyz

Cadet
Welcome to Iboats,

Happy Boating

I think I will go with a SID. :)
I might get the Saturn SD365
Can you recommend a good engine.

thanks again

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
A Sib is a soft inflatable boat, a Rib is a rigid inflatable boat, great water performance difference between both. Can't tear apart a Rib, only defate tubes and fold inside. Assume a 15 or larger K boat will have near same number of wooden or alum floorboards to assemble/disassemble, just less wider. A K boat should weight much less than a comparable size sib. Going one or the other will depend entirely on you water conditions. Plan going for a 10 HP engine, will that be 2 or 4 strokes ?

Happy Boating
Prejudice here. Suzuki 20hp. Fuel injected. Lightest in its class. One, on occasion two, pull starting with no choke to screw with.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Phenoys,

If plan buying a Saturn 365, order it with alum floorboards as opposed to air deck, which has issues, needs to be top air inflated all the time or won't perform as expected. Are 2 strokes engines currently available in your area ? 2 strokes in the 9.9-15-18 HP weights same, around 42 Kg. 4 strokes 15-20 HP around 52 Kg. Go for the max HP of both, will have more boating fun than boating with less HP engines, say 9.8-8 HP.

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
No new two strokes of that hp range available for sale in the USA. I have never found a used 2 stroke that suited me in our area. Mostly old beat up stuff. SR is correct on the smaller motors. Poor performance at my altitude especially. I started our with a fairly new Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke, after a couple of outings it was sold a the Suzuki ordered.

phenoyz

Cadet
Phenoys,

If plan buying a Saturn 365, order it with alum floorboards as opposed to air deck, which has issues, needs to be top air inflated all the time or won't perform as expected. Are 2 strokes engines currently available in your area ? 2 strokes in the 9.9-15-18 HP weights same, around 42 Kg. 4 strokes 15-20 HP around 52 Kg. Go for the max HP of both, will have more boating fun than boating with less HP engines, say 9.8-8 HP.

Happy Boating

Hey Sea Rider

I live in Southern California.
I am also looking at Folding RIB... I think if the price is "right" i will get it.
Do you know of a good brand?
I think in the long-term an FRIB is a better buy, as I plan to use the boat for a long time.

What are the "major difference between a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke engine? is it the weight? HP? Fuel efficiency?

Thanks again.

phenoyz

Cadet
I have made up my mind, Folding - RIB is the way to go
will be looking for something within my budget
if anybody can chime - in .

thanks

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I paid about $2300 for my Suzuki from the Internet, a Port a Boat distributor, including shipping. Closest dealer wanted several hundred more plus tax and I would have to drive 160 mile round trip to get it. Plus they had to order it. Folding rib, search WinBoat. This site frowns on direct links so use Google.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Do you paln taking the F-Rib inside a car/SUV trunk and assembling/disasssembling the Rib when reaching your boating spot, maybe plan having a trailer and transport it assembled ? In that case go for a standard Rib that costs less than a F-Rib. Which size F-Rib or any other type do you plan buying ? Have heard that the larger sizes has tech issues on floor, seems must be factory modified before releasing new ones into the market.

The difference between 2 same HP , 2 strokes versus 4 strokes engines are :

2 strokes : less price, less weight, faster aceleration, less maintenance, needs 2 stroke oil in fuel, consumes more fuel.

4 strokes : costs more, weights more, slight less faster aceleration, more maintenance, no 2 strokes oil needed, consumes less fuel.

Happy Boating

phenoyz

Cadet
Do you paln taking the F-Rib inside a car/SUV trunk and assembling/disasssembling the Rib when reaching your boating spot, maybe plan having a trailer and transport it assembled ? In that case go for a standard Rib that costs less than a F-Rib. Which size F-Rib or any other type do you plan buying ? Have heard that the larger sizes has tech issues on floor, seems must be factory modified before releasing new ones into the market.

The difference between 2 same HP , 2 strokes versus 4 strokes engines are :

2 strokes : less price, less weight, faster aceleration, less maintenance, needs 2 stroke oil in fuel, consumes more fuel.

4 strokes : costs more, weights more, slight less faster aceleration, more maintenance, no 2 strokes oil needed, consumes less fuel.

Happy Boating

I am very interested in this: www.foldablerib.com

model: F-RIB 360
11.8 ft. long
106 lbs.
$2526 USD (shipped to US)

I plan on assembling / disassembling on boating spot. If I buy it I will most likely use it once every 2 weeks.
I live in an apartment and trailer is not an option.
I have a 2011 Honda Fit hatchback which has very big space in the back.

So the better engine to buy is a 2 stroke. When you say "more maintenance" for 4 stroke does it mean less reliable?
All I see for the newer outboards are 4 stroke...

Last edited:

phenoyz

Cadet
I paid about $2300 for my Suzuki from the Internet, a Port a Boat distributor, including shipping. Closest dealer wanted several hundred more plus tax and I would have to drive 160 mile round trip to get it. Plus they had to order it. Folding rib, search WinBoat. This site frowns on direct links so use Google.

If you dont mind can you give the name of the website :)
the folding ribs in Winboats are all out of stock, but the site: www.foldablerib.com also sells them for a slightly cheaper price...
I am very much considering the F360

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.