Best mounting place transom wheels

Henkies

Cadet
Hi,

I have transom wheels that turn to the side while boating, instead of just standing lifted up.
Because I'll be installing smart tabs the available space is limited. I can only mount them right on the rubber transom mount (red line) or just beside the motor (blue line) I have a 3.80m inflatable with alloy floor panels and will be using the max Hp outboard motor (30Hp).

So what would be the safest option? The shown boat is just a random picture. The wheel mount at the red line could also be extended to the top op the transom. (I get the bracket made)

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo226806.jpg
    photo226806.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Tricky position, why don't you change those side wheels for standard ones, the ones that could be folded upwards. Personally would not like drilling holes through lower transom fabric or side tube/transom holder as water may get in rotting the transom in the short term.

Which brand, model are those ? Mounting next to engine will imbalance the combo when towing to/from sea, wheels are too darn close. Ideal would be between both marks..

Happy Boating

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've never seen one with trim tabs. Sure you need them. I would rather deal with a StingRay (dol fin)my self.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I like the turning option. Is there anyway to make some that clamped on and off. Then when you don't need them you could remove them and there would be nothing in the way or possibly lose. I am pretty sure if I had to deal with this, I could manufacture something easy to work with and not drill even one hole in the transom plate... JMHO!

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Saw a guy this last winter going down the river that had his strapped to the side of the tubes. Must take em off when he is launched. Wish I could have got a closer look

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought wheels today and purchased the Italian ones from defender. The mounting is a 4 bolt pattern that is 4"x2" so I will not have to drill through the fabric. You can replace the permant bolt with a Locking pin then your wheels become removable. I looked at all the manufactures out there and the defender ones have the smallest mounting pattern of any launch wheel made. They are also made of stainless steel which should hold up better than aluminum in salt water. I would shy away from drilling through the fabric. Good luck