Cleaning outboard under the hood?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes you can. I use a little purple power or most any type grease cutter and then allow it to cut the crease/oil residue and then just hose it off. Either put something over the carb intake or even exposed electrical modules if you like. And it will basically clean just like you were cleaning a vehicle engine. Just don't use a pressure washer unless you are going to be disassembling the engine for rebuilding or something like that. Works for me! JMHO!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I like to clean it too -- taken to using Windex or the cheaper stuff, and wiping with a shop rag, powerhead and pan. Also sometimes follow up with the tire black spray, as I think it protects a little without getting too radical. Suppose electrical connections might be an issue, but haven't run into that.

robert graham

Admiral
I use WD-40, an old toothbrush and some rags....leaves a protective film on parts to help protect from moisture/corrosion....I avoid water/garden hose so as not to wet any electrical components....Once you get your motor clean all it'll require is just a touch-up now and then to keep it like new!....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My 3 "Daily Drivers" are a 2009, a 1984 and a 1952. All sparkle under the hood. I see no need to clean anything. I had a 1964 I ran a few years ago and it had a carb leak, so there was gas under the hood. Naturally, once detected I fixed the gasket and wiped the iside free of gas with a rag. If its that dirty that is needs cleaning maybe it needs better care.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I run on saltwater, so it is necessary to rinse the powerhead with freshwater every once in a while. Definitely rinse it when winterizing, and after a long or rough trip. I have the block covered in a corrosion resistant waxy oil (corrosion guard or the like), which keeps rust down. Protection over appearance on the salt pond....