inflatable life vests

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
looking at these here on iboats and they range from $100 to over $300 without a whole lot of info as to why.

ANy insights?

dwco5051

Commander
The manual inflatables cost a few dollars less than the automatic/manual models. Mustang was one of the the first to be introduced and I don't know if they are priced more on their name and reputation. I have looked at the Onyx in stores and can't visually see much difference from my Mustang. I still use my issue Mustang I got 15 years before I retired and it has held up well. A little dirty from sweat and grime but I manually blow it up at least once a year and so far no leaks. I wear it all the time when on my bassboat as I usually fish by myself and 5 or 10 times a year with my 11 year old grandaughter. I am so accustomed to it that I have been known to load the boat and drive home with it still on. All the straps, buckles, etc have held up well. The only thing is that most of the lettering on the USCG approval tag is now worn to make it almost nonlegible. I think some of that may be due to training exercises and demonstration when I have worn it in chrolinated swimming pools.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ha yeah when i was living in st luois and coverting my two family into a single i was known for going grocery shopping with my safety glasses and knee pads on.

How long does it take to inflate?

dwco5051

Commander
Only a couple of seconds at most after I pull the tab. To manually inflate 3 or 4 good breaths on the air tube. There is some bouyancy to it if not inflated. I once gave a demo in a pool where I went in fully clothed and with a old military ammo belt weighted with 7 pounds of lead to simulate what our average duty belt with all the doodads weighs. Uninflated it took very little effort to tread water and after I inflated it it would float me upright with no help on my part. I have watched the guys who were issued the newer automatic types try them during training but can't remember exactly how long it took.

Clint KY

Seaman
One opinion on inflatable life vests: I got my first late last season and on my first occasion to wear it I took my Jon to test after raising the OB an inch. I put it on as I went out and when I got home I realized I still had it on. That never happened with any life jacket I have ever used. I now have two, the first a Onyx Auto and the second a Cabela's manual. I use the auto in my Jon and the manual when I am either in my canoes or my float-tube.

Clint
far west Kentucky

dukhnter8

Seaman Apprentice
One difference in them is the type of inflation. Some have a membrane/pill that when wet triggers the inflation. Which can be trigger by humidity I have heard. One person said it was in his boat's storage and got wet then inflated. Others have a hydrostatic inflation (HIT) where it takes water pressure to inflate but they cost more. I have a mustang HIT and love it. I looked into them and some people said the mustangs were the most comfortable so I went with that along with the HIT due to not wanting it to inflate on me when it got spray on it. I have to rearm mine this year (they sell the kits for them) and think I will try it out sometime to see how long it takes and how it works.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a couple auto-inflate types that were at the low end of the price scale. The difference I see between them and the Mustang owned by my buddy is that the nylon webbing of the straps is a wider and heavier material on the Mustang. The buckles are also more robust.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a manual Mustang one 2 years ago and it is the best investment I have made so far. It is the only pfd that I don't mind wearing. That said it can't be used for everything. I do have to keep a second one with me for tubing and skiing. Family and friends have tried it and said they barely noticed it. I have not had to inflate it yet (thankfully) but have once when I first got it just to test and see what it was like since I had never seen or used one before.

A cousin of mine is looking to see if it would work with his shallow dive kit as he says it seems great. Doubt it will work though.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
I had a Mustang manual for many years until this year I switched over to a Kent Rogue vest,
yes the autos do inflate sometimes when they are not supposed to. It can be startling to say the least.
Mustangs are a good product.