Do you think PFD's should be manditory under certain scenarios?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
For example when under full power, during a storm, navigating in the fog, for those that can't swim 5 miles. I don't want my Government to tell me how to be safe but sometimes it's the logical and smart thing to do. I always have my inflatable on as well as my wife 100% of the time, now I feel nude if I don't don it. I don't demand everyone don a life jacket but I used to, I'm tired of trying to make stupid people smart, or smart people less ignorant. I have a spare inflatable and offer it to my 1st mate when there only 2 of us fishing. 4 is max in my boat and some people ask where they are so they can put them on, mostly smart women. I love when people tell me they are good swimmers because they can do 5 laps in a heated 20 foot swimming pool with zero waves. The question is can you swim to shore or tread water for 30 minutes or more and usually 5 miles or more from shore?

There was a day seat belts were an option, helmets on Motorcycles or children on bikes weren't required and everyone could talk in the cell phone driving. So not all laws are bad or intrusive.

What do you think about PFD's on boats ?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Around here they are mandatory for anyone 12 and under. I never wear one but have it within arms reach in case it is needed, unless I am thrown out of the boat for some reason. As long as there are enough for everyone on the boat I don't think it should be mandatory.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The lake I frequent most requires PFDs 100% on boats under 16ft, no matter what style boat, and regardless of age....

LOTS of chop from wind often @ long narrow lake and then add a bunch of other boaters and it gets really choppy....

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
No. There are so many laws that aren't enforced anyway, and plenty that just cost us all more $. I you're not smart enough to wear a PFD when you should, well...

Should there be a law requiring you to wear a helmet when you are doing something that could result in your head being hit - like, almost all the time?

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I'm sea trialing a boat, I always wear my inflatable because I am focused on running the boat and on how it's running...not my own safety.

When I'm running the taxi (PFD not required for pass or crew), I don't wear one myself...mostly because passengers are uneasy to see the skipper wearing one while they aren't (though they're available for all). Kids (too young to don their own) have to wear one because, if the worst happens, the adults on board can focus on donning their own instead of suiting up their kids first.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The question is can you swim to shore or tread water for 30 minutes or more and usually 5 miles or more from shore?
It's not the fall that kills you..it's the sudden stop.....lol

People die in bath tubs. It doesn't matter if your 5 miles or 50 feet from shore.

More people die of hyperthermic and heart related issues than drown. How long would an Olympic swimmer survive treading water in 50 degree water? Not long, and that's only if they survive the cold shock response when they first hit the water.

FWIW: Maryland regs....Kids under 13 are required to wear life jackets while under way

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
On a water taxi you should wear one if it's an open boat. Not because of passengers being uneasy, but so you can focus on what's important if the need arises - Passenger safety and assistance. In a land taxi, the driver wears a seatbelt and fares aren't put off.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Everyone always thinks they don't need to wear one , till they find themselves needing one. Accidents happen fast and you don't always have time to grab one. With that being said I'm guilty of not wearing one well underway. And although I consider myself a reasonable good swimmer , 99% of the time when I jump in the lake I wear a life jacket.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I generally don?t like the government dictating to me about things that affect only me. In this case and a few others (seatbelts) I have no problem with it. Boating isn?t a basic right. Mandatory PFD laws restrict your individual freedom zero ,nada, zilch other than the freedom not to wear one. I think a law like that is good for society. It can save fathers and mothers and children and brothers and sisters and friends from drowning/death. It doesn?t affect or restrict your physical or mental freedom. There is nothing negative or bad about it.
Here in California we have had a huge number of drownings this year due to record amounts of water in the lakes, reservoirs and rivers and the large number of peoples recreational water activities. Many were boating related and many were not. In all the cases of drowning I read about not one single victim was wearing a PFD. Not one! There were numerous boat related drownings that the people would have lived had they been wearing a PFD. One case in particular comes to mind. The parents of a ceo of some big company like Uber were on a lake cruising along when their boat flipped. No one knows what caused it. They both drowned, neither was wearing a PFD.
I have no problem with such a law.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I personally think wearing a PFD should be mandatory for those under 16. If it were law that someone taking anyone out on their boat would be fully liable for the death or injury of anyone on their boat regardless of cause that do not wear a PFD many will be wearing one or stay home.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Most states in the US do have age-based mandatory PFD usage laws.

NYBo

Admiral
Does the government have an interest in the outcome of such a law? Most definitely. Recovering the bodies of drowning victims, the vast majority of whom are not wearing PFDs, generally falls to governmental agencies. I imagine it's also pretty traumatic for for those doing the recovery.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If it were law that someone taking anyone out on their boat would be fully liable for the death or injury of anyone on their boat
If?

Under current law the captain is ultimately responsible for all aspects of operation such as the safe navigation, cleanliness, seaworthiness and management of all personnel,etc.

When taking a boat under tow, you become responsible for all aspects of that vessel's operation as well.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
The laws are not in stone! You don't have to follow them; its your call. There are probably as many signs as there are people. Do what you want to; somebody will let you know if you screw up! As for as the PFD's; all you need to see is a body found after floating around for 2-3 days. You will wear one to bed.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
PA has laws requiring anyone under 12 years old to wear one anytime the boat is underway and cold weather requirements for everyone on 16 foot boats from November until April. My boats are over 16 feet, but I wear one during the required cold weather dates. I don't have any issue with these laws, I look at them like seat belt laws.

I've never been in an collision on a boat, but I've been in 40 degree water. Trust me you do not have time to find and put on the life jacket once you are in that water. I was in 3 feet of water and could stand right up, but it was so cold I don't think I would have been able to get back in the boat without my friend's help. It took him a minute to get to me because he was laughing so hard he could not see for the tears in his eyes.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I went through the ice once in 4' of water. Seconds in and I could hardly muster the strength to pull myself out. I don't get on a boat without my inflatable on. Some are wearing them ice fishing, the smart guys are anyway.

dwco5051

Commander
I went through the ice once in 4' of water. Seconds in and I could hardly muster the strength to pull myself out. I don't get on a boat without my inflatable on. Some are wearing them ice fishing, the smart guys are anyway.

The now worn off label in my Mustang inflatable say they are not to be used in below freezing temperatures. My on the ice go to is a Stearns Flotecoat. They are a little stiff but surprisingly warm.

One of our retired officers fell through into about 4 feet of water a couple of years ago. The ice kept breaking as he tried to climb out and he started for shore breaking it in front of him. He made it about halfway before his heart gave out. Even someone like him who was in good physical shape and an experienced outdoorsman him has limits.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I know this is kinda old, but...

We have enough laws. What's needed is common sense and a healthy respect for the water you're boating in. I always wear my auto-inflating PFD when I'm single-handing the boat, whenver visibility is low (night or fog/haze), or the water is rough.

As for the "I'm a great swimmer" crowd, I say, look around the cockpit of your baot. Everything in it is sharp and/or hard. If you collided with something, what are the chances you'd be uninjured when you hit the water? You might be a great swimmer, but maybe not so great with a busted arm or concussion.

My .02